Hyundai Forums banner

2010 Transmission Problems

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 695 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a new 2010 Santa Fe AWD LTD with about 2800km on it. About once or twice a week, under normal driving, we've noticed very harsh shifts. It seems to be the 2-3 shift and is around 40km/h. Just normal acceleration from a stop sign. And just recently a new issue. It seemed like it got stuck mid-shift... I was accelerating slowly from a stop and on the 2-3 shift the engine revved up above 3000 as if it was in neutral. I eased off the gas and then it completed the shift. My wife took it into the dealer today, but I'm worried they'll send it back as "unreproducible" as we've only had about 1 problem for every 10 hours of driving. We'll see what they say. As you can imagine, I'm not very impressed that we're having these issues before our first oil change...

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? Somebody mentioned that maybe there's something sticking in the transmission and it builds up enough pressure and then finally makes the shift. But I'm not a transmission expert by any means...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I'm no tranny expert, either, but it sounds like you've got a solenoid sticking. I'd report it every single time it happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, as I expected, they just topped up the transmission fluid and just sent my wife on her way saying "well, if it happens again, call us". Which is complete bull****. I called the service advisor she spoke with and he said they're not going to do anything until they're able to replicate it. Wonderful. So we're going to need to arrange to leave it there for what will probably be a few days to a week for them to replicate it. I mentioned the solenoid sticking potentially and he just said they're not going to replace anything until they can replicate the problem. So far not very impressed... I'll keep everyone updated. Hopefully this won't be another one of those situations like pistol had from the other thread where he went through 4 trannys and eventually a replacement...

·
Registered
947 Posts
I feel for you rpm. It's a brand-new vehicle and I'd be upset as well, but realistically, how can a service dept. fix something they can't locate? This will probably take multiple visits and be an inconvenience. To make matters worse, the 6spd auto is a new transmission for the Santa Fe. I'm seeing a disturbing trend here. Just when we thought we've seen a lot of posts on issues with the 5spd autos, now we've got the 6spd. :eek: (once again hugging my lowly old-school 4spd auto)

Joel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Folks,

Yesterday I traded in my Hyundai Santa Fe SE FWD 3.3 Liter and bought a brand new Santa Fe 2010 Limited 3.5 Liter with 15 miles on it. I have driven about 50 miles on I25 and C470 with about 13 miles in the snow-storm yesterday. May be because it is new...but the new Santa Fe seems to have awesome transmission which is not reluctant like the 2007-09 models when the gas pedal is pressed hard. In fact it takes off like a charm. I am hoping that things stay the same way. I also found the handling of the vehicle far better then the earlier years. Combination of Interstate and city driving has given me about 22.7 miles per gallon which I feel is ok as the vehicle is brand new and needs some time before it can give me better mileage.

I bought Phantom Black Metallic color and the front grill doesn't look bad. In my opinion it goes will albeit I didn't like the looks of the grill in red color.

Is there anyone else who owns 2010 3.5 liter Santa Fe and comment if they also found the handling to be better than the earlier models?

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (rpm123 @ Mar 18 2010, 10:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=305282
We've got a new 2010 Santa Fe AWD LTD with about 2800km on it. About once or twice a week, under normal driving, we've noticed very harsh shifts. It seems to be the 2-3 shift and is around 40km/h. Just normal acceleration from a stop sign. And just recently a new issue. It seemed like it got stuck mid-shift... I was accelerating slowly from a stop and on the 2-3 shift the engine revved up above 3000 as if it was in neutral. I eased off the gas and then it completed the shift. My wife took it into the dealer today, but I'm worried they'll send it back as "unreproducible" as we've only had about 1 problem for every 10 hours of driving. We'll see what they say. As you can imagine, I'm not very impressed that we're having these issues before our first oil change...

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? Somebody mentioned that maybe there's something sticking in the transmission and it builds up enough pressure and then finally makes the shift. But I'm not a transmission expert by any means...
I have had the same problem with mine. When the temperatures were colder it would shift so hard that it felt like I got rear ended. I had a case open with Hyundai and they flashed the computer. Since then I have had no problems. It is related to a sticking selenoid in the tranny. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (jb10 @ Mar 22 2010, 09:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=306192
I have had the same problem with mine. When the temperatures were colder it would shift so hard that it felt like I got rear ended. I had a case open with Hyundai and they flashed the computer. Since then I have had no problems. It is related to a sticking selenoid in the tranny. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, jb10! VERY interesting! I wouldn't expect a flash to affect the stickiness of a solenoid. But I guess it makes sense since the computer controls when the shifts occur. When I take it in I'll mention this. I would much rather a computer flash than starting to replace brand new parts with refurb on a vehicle this new...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (rpm123 @ Mar 22 2010, 09:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=306222
Thanks for the reply, jb10! VERY interesting! I wouldn't expect a flash to affect the stickiness of a solenoid.
It depends upon how the solenoid is being actuated. If a flash change can improve things, it's entirely possible that the method of control isn't a simple "all or nothing" application of power to the solenoid. They may be modulating the power to the solenoid to move it with less than a "slam bam" motion. Interesting indeed...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday I had the same big clunk and jerk but this time it was the 3->2 downshift while breaking approaching a stop sign. So it seems like it's something specific to going into 2nd... Haven't taken it back to the dealer yet. Trying to find a good time in my schedule.

A few people have suggested disconnecting the battery for a little while to see if that resets something in the computer. Does anyone know how long it needs to be disconnected for? Some people have said just a couple minutes, others said hours. And how to do it safely?

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (rpm123 @ Mar 30 2010, 07:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=308459
Yesterday I had the same big clunk and jerk but this time it was the 3->2 downshift while breaking approaching a stop sign. So it seems like it's something specific to going into 2nd... Haven't taken it back to the dealer yet. Trying to find a good time in my schedule.

A few people have suggested disconnecting the battery for a little while to see if that resets something in the computer. Does anyone know how long it needs to be disconnected for? Some people have said just a couple minutes, others said hours. And how to do it safely?

That is exactly what happened to us with our 2009 transmission. You can read other thread about the rest of the story.

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (rpm123 @ Mar 30 2010, 11:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=308500
Ok, talked to my wife and it's now happened twice on the downshift.
RPM, like I had mentioned mine was doing the exact same thing, they reflashed the computer in about 10 mins and has not done it since. They did however remind me like over and over again that it has an adaptive learning transmission, not sure what that had to do with it.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (jb10 @ Mar 30 2010, 09:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=308513
RPM, like I had mentioned mine was doing the exact same thing, they reflashed the computer in about 10 mins and has not done it since. They did however remind me like over and over again that it has an adaptive learning transmission, not sure what that had to do with it.
Because once you were "reflashed", you were starting out with the factory default settings for shift points, and those might have begun to feel substantially different than the way you had already "trained" it with your driving style. If I'd reset you that way, I'd warn you to expect that, too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Mar 30 2010, 02:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=308541
Because once you were "reflashed", you were starting out with the factory default settings for shift points, and those might have begun to feel substantially different than the way you had already "trained" it with your driving style. If I'd reset you that way, I'd warn you to expect that, too.
That makes sense now, but if I were driving on the highway for long periods then started city driving would it learn back, or does it only learn once. I am not very familar with how it works. The condition I had was identical to what RPM is describing and reflashing fixed it and I have not changed my driving style.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (jb10 @ Mar 30 2010, 01:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=308587
...would it learn back...
Yes. Once reset, it will again observe the way you bang the pedal around and adapt shift points to something that seems to suit the way you like to drive. However, that's not immediate - so letting you know to expect something different while this process takes place is a good thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's happened a few more times now. 3 times on my wife's quick drive this morning. Patterns that are emerging:
- seems to only happen when the car is cold or warming up
- has happened both in cold weather and warmer spring weather
- happens under light or average acceleration and deceleration
- only has happened in shifts into 2nd gear
- steering doesn't seem to affect it. Has happened both while accelerating after a stop sign then right turn and accelerating in a straight line from a stop sign.
- has happened on flat roads (no steep grade)

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (rpm123 @ Apr 5 2010, 12:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=310399
It's happened a few more times now. 3 times on my wife's quick drive this morning. Patterns that are emerging:
- seems to only happen when the car is cold or warming up
- has happened both in cold weather and warmer spring weather
- happens under light or average acceleration and deceleration
- only has happened in shifts into 2nd gear
- steering doesn't seem to affect it. Has happened both while accelerating after a stop sign then right turn and accelerating in a straight line from a stop sign.
- has happened on flat roads (no steep grade)
I've had a bang & slight rocking motion at low speed seemingly while shifting 1st to 2nd or vice versa. It's been quite noticeable. This has happened 4 times now since February. The first time the vehicle was about 3 weeks old. I took it to the dealer and of course this event did not happen for them. I picked it up today at 2PM and it repeated the bang within 20 minutes, so I took it back again.

1 - 20 of 695 Posts