Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my girlfriend has an 02 Accent with an automatic transmission. The passenger side output shaft seal keeps getting destroyed by a wobbley cv axle shaft that has developed slow low clunk under acceleration. I'm pretty sure the trans output bearing is worn out. Does anyone know if the bearing can be removed with a puller and knocked back in with a bearing driver? Or is this a remove transmission, split casing, hydrualic press procedure? The car works well other than this issue so i'd like to try and save it if possible. I'm interested in knowing if I can do it without the hydraulic press, it doesn't have to be pretty or even recommended.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacing the axle shaft may help if it is the cause of the banging noise and transaxle seal failure. I might try that, thanks.
I don't think the half shaft goes into a bushing on this one. It looks like it has the ball type bearing.
Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 5.44.50 PM.png

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Roller bearing or balls are both superior to the bushings. Either way they need to be pressed in and I know of no tool to do it in vehicle.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I have never seen a ball/roller bearing in the location you are looking at. That pic is displaying the hemisphere support bearings. I think the final casing support is a bush but it's not the first time I have been wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grcauto, you are right, it's a press job. But, if they were bushings and not bearings, they could be slide hammered out and driven back in. Less superior, but easier to change.

There is a plate on the back of the transaxle that unbolts to gain access to the ring gear assembly. Once you unbolt the ring gear assembly, it comes out and the bearings are pressed on and off the ends of it. The transaxle is not in the worst place to work on- maybe dropping the engine and transmission would give you enough room and save you from having to take out the rack and pinion.

I was working on the Accent today, was going to replace the axle shaft to see if that helped but... after taking the axle seal out, I could see that the ball bearings were toast. Some were gouged up, and it looked like some were missing.

Poor old Accident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts