Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it is a 2002 2.7l AWD santa fe. Sometimes the transmission wont engage and the engine revs but the vehicle does not move. Sometimes if you fiddle with it for a while it will start working and you can move the vehicle then it fails again. There is a buzzing sound that, from what I can make out, is coming from right behind the transmission pan. It doesn't make this noise all the time. The fluid looks full and clean, if anything maybe over full. There are no check engine codes. Im debating getting rid of the car but don't want to if I can fix it myself. Ideas?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can't help much on the actual repair of the tranny itself. Mine did a bit similar. But it simply just stopped engaging at a stop light and that was it (109K miles). No noise, nothing. It just wouldn't engage into any gear. No warning.

I got a rebuilt transmission from Rock Auto, which from a gathered researching has some type of partnership with a company called ATA or something to that affect. I looked recently and I think with the return core it came out to 1600. I installed it myself with a help from a friend. Been it in for about 3 years. Grant it only have 10K miles on it but haven't had any issues with it. Knock on wood.

If you do replace the transmission do a complete and thorough inspection of all of the sub frame assembly and suspension. The early model SF's (mine was an '02 as well) had an issue with rust and corrosion. Especially if you lived in what is called the Rust Belt states, or northern states with a lot of use of road salt.

Good luck

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hyundai Re-Man in box is rough $1700,, add labor, ATF, and can of cooler flush

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A rebuild would be beyond my level of mechanical aptitude and I don't really want to put more than a grand into it. I think it might be time to go car shopping.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Take it to an honest, reputable trans shop. It MAY be something as simple as a linkage cable adjustment. Is the trans doing it's primary purpose - shifting gears properly?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hyundai Re-Man in box is rough $1700,, add labor, ATF, and can of cooler flush
Only 1700 from dealer uh? Never would have thought it. I didn't even bother to check with my local dealer. 1) didn't think they'd be in the ballpark price wise 2) I'm not my local Hyundai/Nissan biggest fan right now.

But to the OP, yea, if I had to pay labor I wouldn't have done it. But I was the only owner of the car, knew its service history, never been in an accident etc.

Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Re-Man come in a shipping container,, place old unit back in container for sore (core is $1000,, be it no old unit to return, or case damage).. make sure to drain oil at minimum, return old unit similar to that of how Re-Man was received

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you really want to save money, go to local junkyard, my local junkyards sell transmissions $200 all day, some places pull them some places dont. even if you cannot install the transmission on your own, pay someone to install and you will be coming out under$800 easy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts