Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting last weekend I've had issues with the transmission when the car goes from EV to ICE; generally with lower speeds but it happens at high speed also.
Transmission appears to get stuck in neutral and won't re-engage until I completely release the gas pedal. It happened about 6 times this morning on my 3 hr drive; generally in traffic which had a lot of low speed EV to ICE transitions.

Anyone else experience this? I'm calling the dealer today to schedule some time...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Starting last weekend I've had issues with the transmission when the car goes from EV to ICE; generally with lower speeds but it happens at high speed also.
Transmission appears to get stuck in neutral and won't re-engage until I completely release the gas pedal. It happened about 6 times this morning on my 3 hr drive; generally in traffic which had a lot of low speed EV to ICE transitions.

Anyone else experience this? I'm calling the dealer today to schedule some time...

I have never had that issue with my 2011 HSH but I am hoping you post a follow-up that details what it was, is it rare...etc... Mine is a 2011 and its a lease. If this is common I will certainly turn it in to try something else.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

Reg, I had some transmission issues early on in very cold weather conditions that made it feel as if the engine was racing but going nowhere, but is has not happened in a long time. It has only happened about twice but it has been silky smooth since the updates. Sounds like you may possibly be needing a new transmission under the drivetrain warranty. Hopefully it isn't anything that serious and Liberty can do right by you. I drove past Liberty last week going down to Paramus. Please keep us informed. Good luck.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reg, I had some transmission issues early on in very cold weather conditions that made it feel as if the engine was racing but going nowhere, but is has not happened in a long time. It has only happened about twice but it has been silky smooth since the updates. Sounds like you may possibly be needing a new transmission under the drivetrain warranty. Hopefully it isn't anything that serious and Liberty can do right by you. I drove past Liberty last week going down to Paramus. Please keep us informed. Good luck.
No issues on my 45 min drive home today... the weather did warm up.
Steve and Mike from Liberty are excellent; Steve couldn't get me a loaner this week so he set me up for a Monday appointment. I'll keep everyone up to date. I tried to get a video of the problem but... NJ texting laws are really tough nowadays.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's happened to me three times. Once when I was making a right turn from a light. Took 3-4 seconds of releasing the peddle before the engine kicked in. Had to veer to the shoulder cause a semi was coming towards us. Got the ecu update and so far so good. Pretty scary though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Galecio - Thanks for the info. I already have the ECU update... I hope it's not a major issue though.

Also, on a side note, I don't think the 2011 HSH came in 'ultimate' form. They've been changing the naming 2011 to 2012 to 2013 but I think 'ultimate' was a 2012 nomenclature while the 2011 highest trim level was the 'premium', I believe it was just one option which was premium and included every option available to the Sonata at the time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've been having some issues with my transmission recently. It almost feels the way it was before I had the last update. It's almost like I lost the update for the transmission. There is a bad hesitation and the shift points suck. It's almost like the transmission doesn't know when to shift any more. I may have to ask them to hit it with the update again the next time I head to the dealer!

Chuck

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That stinks. May I ask how many miles you both have now on your cars?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a bit over 61k...

I really hope the clutch between the ICE and Electric motor isn't going...
I have the same general experience as Carnold... my transmission feels sluggish in general. Feels like the smooth rpm shifting is no longer there, the car revs up quite a bit prior to each shift.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
a bit over 61k...

I really hope the clutch between the ICE and Electric motor isn't going...
I have the same general experience as Carnold... my transmission feels sluggish in general. Feels like the smooth rpm shifting is no longer there, the car revs up quite a bit prior to each shift.
Well at least it looks like it will be covered under warranty and not on the other side of 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I really hope that is not what's in store for us who have not driven as many miles as you guys have. I don't want to jinx it but my car is running smoother than ever but I have about 1/2 of your mileage. I am wondering if the new shift points and updated meshing of the EV/ICE post-ECU update may have some effect on or put abnormal stress on the transmission now.
Hopefully if will be something minor and you will be back to normal soon. I am also glad we have the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty because at 61,000 miles, you just lost your bumper to bumper portion of it.
Best of luck Reg.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just did my usual 150 mi from NJ to PA. I would say about 25% of the shifts done in non EV mode resulted in excessive rpm and did not allow me to accelerate; engine is clearly not engaged with the drive, either in 'neutral' or the clutch connecting the engine to the electric motor was not fully engaged. I have to reduce the accelerator so it switched in EV then try to get it to shift while in EV mode then shift back to ICE. Obviously the transmission shifts primarily at lower speeds; most of the drive was 55+ freeway without traffic. Since this occurs during accelerations between ~20mph and 50mph... Let me say that this is really scary on onramps!!! I'll be posting more videos soon; it's uploading from the phone now and I want to edit the worthless parts out... I have calls into 2 additional dealerships to try to get it looked at prior to my appointment at Liberty on Monday (which is about 150mi away!).
For the last 10 minutes of my drive, I shifted to black mode and it seems to be fine (had about 4 stop lights during that time); just in case someone has this same issue... maybe you can try that.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Reg, have you tried manually shifting the transmission through it's first few gears since this has been occurring? Just thinking that maybe it will help you out until Monday when they can take a look at it. That onramp adventure that you describe sounds very dangerous to me, almost like a toss of the dice to see if you are going to be able to merge or not. I hope all works out for you on Monday and almost feel as if you shouldn't drive it there and have it towed instead.
Good luck and stay safe pal.

·
Registered
537 Posts
They should give you a loaner until this is resolved, especially after several owners were sent back on the road with "check charging system" warnings.

By the way, I'm also at 61K miles and haven't experienced any tranny issues yet.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I just passed 71k Vinny!

Chuck
Wow you do an awful lot of driving Chuck! I estimate if I were still doing my old commute down to the city I would be approaching around 85,000 miles by now. This may be the first car I have owned that will actually be under warranty for the full duration of the term allotted. I hope Reg makes out ok on his trip to the dealer and really am hopeful it doesn't mean his transmission is shot at 61,000 miles already. I am looking to keep my Sonata for a while and get some good use out of it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yes, I drive around 100 miles each day and then I had my 7400 mile trip that put a lot of miles on it. I'm still hoping to have this one for 250,000 miles!

Chuck

1 - 20 of 81 Posts