Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys new to the forum, I have a 2006 Sonata 3.3L. Recently, when i first start the car and drive its taking off in 2nd gear. Continues to shift through the gears smooth and when you come to a stop sign or come to a stop it down shifts normally and 1st gear works as it should. I also noticed that when 1st gear starts to work (as described above) reverse acts up, It will go into reverse but then you get moving a bit it will slip out of gear and go into "like neutral" but when you get to a mph or so it will kick back into reverse. Heres the kicker though.... if i shut the car off reverse works perfect but when i put in in drive it takes off in 2nd again. Sometimes when I'm in reverse and it does its slipping thing it will throw a CEL P0731 and then later it will clear itself. Sorry so long winded but this is really throwing me for a loop. Any thoughts would be appreciated. THANKS

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
0731 is a 1st gear incorrect ratio (we call it a "slip" code).. somebody is not holding grip to maintain constant ratio between input and output shaft of transmission

Quick repair attempt would be to change ATF if aged with clean new fluid, see where it goes.. if it still slip (0731),, drive it till it die, or replace auto trans with Hyundai Re-Man

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
0731 is a 1st gear incorrect ratio (we call it a "slip" code).. somebody is not holding grip to maintain constant ratio between input and output shaft of transmission

Quick repair attempt would be to change ATF if aged with clean new fluid, see where it goes.. if it still slip (0731),, drive it till it die, or replace auto trans with Hyundai Re-Man
already replaced fluid, drained as much fluid as i could, replaced with new, drove 200 miles and then i did it again today with some friction modifier. The thing that gets me is, i back out of my drive way and reverse works great, put it in drive and it starts in second and shifts as it should without any slipping. first even works when i get to a stop. but if i use reverse it slips out. but i can literally shut it off and restart it and reverse works again. It almost seems electrical? Thanks for the fast response too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts