Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have brought in my Tucson for the clunking transmission issue 5 times now.

At first I indicated it might be a bad inboard CV joint due to the small clucnking sound, but it has gotten louder and bigger. While under the car I checked CV play, and there was none.

Any tips would be great. The dealer has repeatedly stated nothing is wrong, and they cannot duplicate this.

It happens when cold. A smaller clunk can be heard when I shift into reverse (from a complete stop), while backing into my drive way up a small incline....Sounds exactly like a bad CV joint click.

2011 Hyundai, Tucson GLS 2wd.
27,000 miles

1. On the morning of 28 March 2013, approximately 20 seconds after starting the vehicle the transmission was shifted into drive, a loud mechanical "clunk" was heard and FELT from the driver's seat, the transmission did not respond, the vehicle would not move when the gas pedal was depressed, and the P,R,N,D indicator in the dash board display went blank. The car was shifted into P, a loud mechanical "clunk" was heard and felt followed by a loud "crunch". The ignition was turned off, and the vehicle was restarted with no issues once the vehicle was warmed up.

2. Upon reciept of the vehicle from Recal service for the transmission cooling line coupling, the vehicle began exibitting the transmission disengage and reengage symptom while driving under acceleration. This occurs approximately once a day under any incline or flat condition while accelerating.

3. In the last 2-3 days while accelerating up hill, specifically up the route 16 under pass road while accelerating up to 45 mph the vehicle will down shift to climb the hill. Under 2 conditions 1. cruise control engaged, 2. Constant accelerator pedal application....the vehicle will not re-upshift once the hill has been completed and keeps an elevated RPM range of approximately 3000 rpm even while on level ground while passing Tax and Revenue. The RPM's do not lower and the transmission will not up shift until either the brake pedal is depressed (to disngage the cruise control), or the accelerator is lifted. NOTE: the entire time this situation is occurring the ECON green light is illuminated..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice...Unfortunately no Hyundai dealerships within 4000 miles.

My dealership that refuses to repair is also (according to Hyundai USA legal), my sole customer advocate and consumer affairs office. Guam

I have also been told that any Hyundai purchased in Guam, does not have Hyundai warranty coverage ANYWHERE else in the world except on Guam....not what I was told by the dealer, or what is written in their warranty documents.

Hyundai USA is filing actions with their leagl dept for a Hyundai franchise misrepresenting Hyundai warranty. But Hyundai USA washed their hands stating only Guam Hyundai (Cars Plus) can do ANYTHING for me....alternately I must contact the Guam Attorney General.

Yah....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tucson Transmission update

During a test drive with engineering on Saturday, the car died in traffic. YAY!

Well, the code and engine check light was unrelated to the tranny, but reinforced the immobility problem early last week. MAPP sensor error put the car into "limp" mode....that translates to dead on the side of the road mode.

Now waiting 4-5 business days for parts then replacement so they can reattempt to produce transmission errors I am experiencing.

After reflashing of the TCU (tranny computer), adaptive tables are cleared and slipping is gone. Give it a few months to fill the adaptive transmission tables and then the slippage will begin again like clockwork. Hyundai was late to jump on this technology bandwagon that Benz started 11 years ago with adaptive learning control units.

Hyundai was good to copy the idea, but has done a poor to fair job of implementation of the technology.

Case in point I put my E550 and another S550 side by side with an Equus the other day. One the surface they copied the look and basic funtion to the tee, but it was just "not quite right". Looked good, felt ok, but the function was not smooth, fluid or as user friendly as the original.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hyundai has not concluded anything on the transmission and has now said that possibly the Adaptive transmission is getting confused once the tables have filled up from different drivers (up to 4 by specs), but only 2 in my instance.

The slippage may be coming from intermittent changes in the TCU driving profiles mid acceleration, cause a momentary slip/loss of power/rpm rise while driving.

Bottom line, until the TCU pops a hard code, the dealership cannot diagnose anything. I do have black box dash cams with audio and GPS installed in each of my vehicles. Last course of action, I submit video with audio showing the slippages and faults.

I am not the one basing comparisons...It is Hyundai that first compared the Equus with the S550 in the media, in pamphlets and online. They also set up the comparisons by marketing all of the spec #'s to match one for one to the S550.

Many non-premium car owners stated that the Equus is a down market for people who don't want to spend Benz dollars...in fact Lexus is down market for that reason, and Hyundai is a down market below even that...Benz -> BMW -> Lexus -> Infinity -> Hyundai (Equus).

Benz is by the way no more reliable nor less reliable than most cars with the exception of Lexus which has no match in reliability statistics.

This is not the area anyway.

G

·
Well, you should not compare German to Korean. You get what you paid for.

Well, yes, and no. I bought a brand new Mercedes E430 and it was flawless in every aspect. I sold it two years later for 4000 less than I paid. that was awesome. I also bought a brand new Mercedes ML350 when they first came out. Granted, this vehicle is manufactured here in the USA, with a ton of German Engineering input. In my very humble opinion, my 2007 Santa Fe Limited was every bit as good in every aspect. My new 2013 SF Sport 2.0T is far superior to that ML350 in every aspect. I know all this stuff is 100% objective, but that's my honest opinion. I'm just sayin, sometimes what you pay doesn't add up to what you actually get. Nice to meet you sir moderator, I love this forum. thanks for having me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.