Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have the indicator on the speedo not show what gear you are in. This has happened to me about 6 times. Indicator is BLANK. Car seems to start moving forward in 2nd or 3rd gear. When you shift to reverse it clunks. Shift into PARK works but no indicator. Turn off the car and restart and all is good until the next time it happens. Anyone have this happen and if so is there a fix. My dealer just looked at me like "Deer in headlights" Fortunantly I have a video on my phone of it doing it while driving...so seeing will be believing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
YES!!! same things been happening to me exept mine if it's in drive or reverse bangs. Screen goes blank then it goes into neutral. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate it and stared at me like I was on crack.......ughhhhhh

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I at least have a video of mine. If your cell phone does video take a video while driving and show them. Can't be made up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This happened to me yesterday! I was backing out from a parking spot and noticed the car was a little sluggish. I though maybe the rear wheels were stuck on something so I put it into drive and felt the car jerk. Looked at my gear display and it was empty. I pulled over, turned the car off and on again and it was fine. At first I thought that I put it into neutral not reverse by accident and it screwed up the transmission but I doubt it.

I bought this car back in April of 2010 so I've had it for over a year and this is the first time I have ever had this issue. Other than that the car has been great. I'll mention this to my dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I asked them if getting a video would help them diagnose it but the service manager told me unless it does it for them and they can get the code a video is of no use to him. If I PM you my email can you send me that video I want to compare how yours is to mine. I got mine in may 2010 and same thing it just recently started. They did recently do the transmission TSB update about 2 months ago. I have a feeling that could be a factor. I previously also had a problem with the tranny getting stuck in 2nd gear when driving randomly that they never could diagnose. Still happens sometimes. Maybe the early 2011 models have weak transmissions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine did it last week for the first time. 15 K on my GLS. It will scare the heck out of my wife if it happens to her!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The video at lease let the dealer know it is happening and they logged it. Also let your wife know what to do if it happens. Every time it has happened to me restarting corrected the problem. As far as the TSB, mine has done this both before and after the update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! Did you ever figure this out?

Mine doing the exact same thing a week ago, and for a while it was normal, but I just experienced the same thing just now.

Mine has 88k miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's likely the transmission's inhibitor (aka neutral safety) switch. If you're also getting a CEL, get it scanned. I had this same problem over a year ago and replaced the inhibitor switch. Problem was fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Sky2.0
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing