Hyundai Forums banner

Transmission Gremlin Is Not Going Away -

28K views 80 replies 39 participants last post by  starbai 
#1 ·
It appears as if the transmission gremlin that I experienced during the first week is still there. It again happened twice over the last week that it got stuck into fourth gear after stopping at an intersection. The last time it happened I also felt the bang that I felt that very first time but not as severe since I was doing only about 30 kpu in the process of slowing down to the intersection. How I then noticed something was wrong is that car slips it's torque converter to get away from the intersection. When putting it in manual mode it shows 4 on the display and I can change up or down and although the display will increment or decrement the transmission would not change gears. Putting it into Park after stopping does not help either. The only way I could get it to function normally again was to shut the engine down and restart. I am aware of one other forumite that experienced the same thing. Since the car still goes and would easy cruise at 80kmu in fourth I wonder how many times this would go unnoticed by less observant drivers. I am getting a feeling that this is some kind of limping home mode. This is on top of my list when the car goes in for its first service.

#2 ·
QUOTE (RamKat @ Jul 23 2010, 06:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344087
It appears as if the transmission gremlin that I experienced during the first week is still there. It again happened twice over the last week that it got stuck into fourth gear after stopping at an intersection. The last time it happened I also felt the bang that I felt that very first time but not as severe since I was doing only about 30 kpu in the process of slowing down to the intersection. How I then noticed something was wrong is that car slips it's torque converter to get away from the intersection. When putting it in manual mode it shows 4 on the display and I can change up or down and although the display will increment or decrement the transmission would not change gears. Putting it into Park after stopping does not help either. The only way I could get it to function normally again was to shut the engine down and restart. I am aware of one other forumite that experienced the same thing. Since the car still goes and would easy cruise at 80kmu in fourth I wonder how many times this would go unnoticed by less observant drivers. I am getting a feeling that this is some kind of limping home mode. This is on top of my list when the car goes in for its first service.
Scary! Please keep us updated with this situation!

G
#4 ·

Why are you waiting until your first service to address this?

If you think theres a problem I would take it in now dude...

#5 ·
take it in asap! this could be global problem for the sonata! there was some other dude who got a new tranny!

if this is global then hyundy is screwed! at least for the cost of a new tranny!

#6 ·
RamKat:

It happened to me once on 2nd day of ownership in March. The transmission stuck in 4th gear after a loud explosion; of course engine rpm rev way up. I could not change higher than 4th gear manually. Fortunately after the couple of restart and shift through the gears, the problem has not recurred nor had it threw any Check Engine Light.

Dealer says if problem recurs, bring in for warranty service. I now have 9000 miles on it since late March. It sure made me feel bad when it happened,r regret the purchase immediately then. OK now, but still uncomfortable that it happened.

I did do research. There is TSB covering the problem below later issued in May:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SOLENOID DTC P0741, P0743, P0748, P0753, P0758,
Group: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
TSB#: 10-AT-003-1
Date: MAY, 2010
Affected Model: 2010~ TUCSON, 2010~ SANTA FE, 2011~ SONATA, 2011~ AZERA

DESCRIPTION:
Incorrect operation of the transmission solenoids may result in the following symptoms:
• Check Engine Light illuminated
• Transaxle held in 4th gear Fail-Safe
• Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0741, P0743, P0748, P0753, P0758, P0763, P0768, P0773 or P2709

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary: Shift actuator inside transmission is bad, requires major transmission work. I know it doesn't make you feel better. At least there is a fix. Good luck!

#7 ·
this is not good, as it will happen to all of us eventually.

QUOTE (hancydan @ Jul 23 2010, 12:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344189
RamKat:

It happened to me once on 2nd day of ownership in March. The transmission stuck in 4th gear after a loud explosion; of course engine rpm rev way up. I could not change higher than 4th gear manually. Fortunately after the couple of restart and shift through the gears, the problem has not recurred nor had it threw any Check Engine Light.

Dealer says if problem recurs, bring in for warranty service. I now have 9000 miles on it since late March. It sure made me feel bad when it happened,r regret the purchase immediately then. OK now, but still uncomfortable that it happened.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DESCRIPTION:
Incorrect operation of the transmission solenoids may result in the following symptoms:
• Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0741, P0743, P0748, P0753, P0758, P0763, P0768, P0773 or P2709

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary: Shift actuator inside transmission is bad, requires major transmission work. I know it doesn't make you feel better. At least there is a fix. Good luck!

#8 ·
QUOTE (hancydan @ Jul 23 2010, 01:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344189
RamKat:

DESCRIPTION:

Thanks for the info - I remember you posting it earlier but I could not find it. Not in a single one of the three cases did I have an engine light either. On all three occasions it came out of this mode the first time I re started it

#11 ·
I got a bang out of my transmission on Saturday. little different symptoms than your though. i started the car, backed out of my parking spot, then put the car into drive. as soon as the trans went from reverse to drive, i felt/heard a bang that shuttered the car. i thought i hit a parked car behind me. after which about 4 of the warning lights on the dash lit up.

so i put it in park and turned the car off. restarted it to find the tpms light blinking... which later went out on its own after i got gas stopped/ started the motor again.

very odd. has been fine since this one incident.

#12 ·
QUOTE (gregd71 @ Jul 25 2010, 11:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344757
I got a bang out of my transmission on Saturday. little different symptoms than your though. i started the car, backed out of my parking spot, then put the car into drive. as soon as the trans went from reverse to drive, i felt/heard a bang that shuttered the car. i thought i hit a parked car behind me. after which about 4 of the warning lights on the dash lit up.

so i put it in park and turned the car off. restarted it to find the tpms light blinking... which later went out on its own after i got gas stopped/ started the motor again.

very odd. has been fine since this one incident.
This 6-Speed is a fairy new transmission, but has been in cars in Korea a year before introduced to USA. I was in Korea for 2 weeks last month (June), and I saw tons of Y20s (Sonata's) all over the road. I want them to be relaible.

I hope these are freak happenings and not signs of troubles to come. I am keeping my figures crossed.

[ Weird Observations: In Korea, More than 95% (unscientific statistics) of all cars are in Black (mostly), Silver, or White. I'd say less than 5% of all cars are of other colors, weird! ]

#80 ·
QUOTE (gregd71 @ Jul 25 2010, 11:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344757
This 6-Speed is a fairy new transmission, but has been in cars in Korea a year before introduced to USA. I was in Korea for 2 weeks last month (June), and I saw tons of Y20s (Sonata's) all over the road. I want them to be relaible.

I hope these are freak happenings and not signs of troubles to come. I am keeping my figures crossed.

[ Weird Observations: In Korea, More than 95% (unscientific statistics) of all cars are in Black (mostly), Silver, or White. I'd say less than 5% of all cars are of other colors, weird! ]
Yep, they don't even offer any of the pre painted aftermarket parts in Pacific blue, the color doesn't exist to then.. Oh well, my metal flake makes up for all of the plastic that everyone is tossing on their rides.

#13 ·
>>>[ Weird Observations: In Korea, More than 95% (unscientific statistics) of all cars are in Black (mostly), >>>>>

I am not sure but I was told once that a black car in Japan was regarded as a wealthy persons car, just as a black limo might be in the states .At that time the motor co I worked for only exported black cars to Japan and mostly Oriental drivers drove black cars at that dealership. Now is this true or carry over to Korea, I Do Not Know ?

#14 ·
Mine has been at the dealer for over a week. It had banged and locked in 4th gear(automatic) three times in 1200 miles, last time it did it there was a code confirming it. Now I'm waiting for a new transmission! There have been other issues other than this topic. Dealer seems to be trying hope they don't have to rebuild the whole car. Guess you might say I'm not real satisfied with this purchase. So if your tranny pops or bangs and locks in 4th gear get to your dealer and have checked out.

#15 ·
QUOTE (blueinasonata @ Aug 4 2010, 11:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347082
Mine has been at the dealer for over a week. It had banged and locked in 4th gear(automatic) three times in 1200 miles, last time it did it there was a code confirming it. Now I'm waiting for a new transmission! There have been other issues other than this topic. Dealer seems to be trying hope they don't have to rebuild the whole car. Guess you might say I'm not real satisfied with this purchase. So if your tranny pops or bangs and locks in 4th gear get to your dealer and have checked out.
So they are replacing the tranny - not only the solenoid?. I hope they replace everything related - including the control electronics. I wonder if there is some reference to real cases like yours. When I mentioned it to my dealer he said it is the first time he heard about it.

#16 ·
QUOTE (RamKat @ Aug 4 2010, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347191
So they are replacing the tranny - not only the solenoid?. I hope they replace everything related - including the control electronics. I wonder if there is some reference to real cases like yours. When I mentioned it to my dealer he said it is the first time he heard about it.
They called today and said it will be ready tomorrow (Thursday) I'll ask what they replaced and get a service ticket. Wish me luck!
PS they said they had one other they had done just a few days earlier than mine don't sound good to me.

#17 ·
Hi everyone,

Never posted on a forum before but I thought this was worth it. I have a 2011 Sonata SE and am having the same problems reported here. I have 4,000 miles on my car and have had the "stuck in fourth gear problem" 3 times. Each time it happened I was driving between 65 and 80 mph, I felt a large jerk (like I hit a pothole) and the car dropped to 4th gear and was stuck there. At that speed the jerk was so sudden that if the seat belt failed to hold me back, my head could have hit the windshield (scary!). Same issue as everyone else in terms of fixing it; I had to pull over on the highway and restart the car.

Brought the car to the dealer after the first time and they said I must have hit the paddle shifter on the steering wheel by mistake (which there is no way I did). I asked them to explain the stuck gear and they said it was a fluke. I asked them to note the issue and I walked out in hopes that it was in fact a fluke.

2,000 miles later, it happened again two days in a row. I called to set up an appt and had this forum and the posted TSB with me. I spoke to the service manager who said it is probably the electronic shifter and he will replace it. They basically ignored the TSB and forum, though they did say that the TSB only applied to cars that had a check engine light come on. In the week between my call to the manager and the appt, I was getting into my car and tapped the paddle shifter very lightly and heard a click. I thought nothing of it since I barely touched it. Then I started driving and the downshift paddle was not working. I called to tell them about this unrelated issue and they said they will look at it during my appt.

They have now worked on my car and said that they replaced the paddle shifter (and not the electronic shifter) and that should solve all of the related issues including the sudden downshift (this makes me wish I didn’t tell them about the broken paddle shifter). I reiterated the forum posting and the numerous similar issues; they said all they could do is drive my car until it happened again. I told them that I didn’t want some random person driving my car and putting unnecessary miles on it with the unlikely possibility that they will be able to replicate the downshift. Needless to say, I have a feeling I will be back to the service dept in a few thousand miles when it happens again.

This is the first Hyundai in the family (we’ve always stuck to Hondas and Toyotas) and I really wanted it to be a great car. I guess you can add me to the list of people with this issue, hopefully more people speak up and more info comes out by Hyundai so they can resolve the issue. Sorry for the long post, guess I’ll have to become more fluent in forum etiquette.

#18 ·
QUOTE (SPat @ Aug 5 2010, 08:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347444
I guess you can add me to the list of people with this issue, hopefully more people speak up and more info comes out by Hyundai so they can resolve the issue. Sorry for the long post, guess I’ll have to become more fluent in forum etiquette.
Thanks for your contribution SPat. Keep us posted.

#19 ·
Been lurking on these forums for a bit, saw this thread and figured I'd register just to share my experience.

Happened to me twice so far.

Once on the highway at around 80 mph. Very loud bang, car jerked a bit. I looked back to see if I hit something and didn't see anything. I didn't realize something was wrong until I caught my exit and slowed down. Car was having problems accelerating from a stop. Switched to manual and noticed that the gear display would flicker between 1 and 4, leading me to believe the tranny was stuck in 4th gear.

Second time on the street I live on, luckily I was traveling at a slow speed. Heard the same bang, not as loud as before. Same symptoms. It was this time that I realized the issue would clear up after stopping my car and shutting it off then back on again.

Going to take it in for service soon.

#20 ·
Darn, there have been quite a few cases already . It'd be nice to know the build date on all those cars, as well as mileage; there's probably a pattern. I can't imagine internals not being damaged with those 'bangs' at 80 mph. I thought this happened when taking off or something. Can't be good. And you're also talking major converter wear when taking off in 4th.

Now, have any of you had this issue fixed??? I wonder if it requires tranny removal (a major job) or just removing the solenoid cover in front of the tranny. Once fluid is drained, I'm sure it can be removed without tranny removal, but could be wrong.

Finally, my question is if the solenoids are eventually going to go bad in all cars with the same batch, or if didn't happen in 'x' miles we're home free. Of course the other question is what's that 'x' mileagae. Always something. Oh well. At least the issue supposedly resets itself with an ignition cycle in case it catches us on a trip or something. Have a good one gang.

#21 ·
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Aug 6 2010, 08:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347699
Darn, there have been quite a few cases already . It'd be nice to know the build date on all those cars, as well as mileage; there's probably a pattern. I can't imagine internals not being damaged with those 'bangs' at 80 mph. I thought this happened when taking off or something. Can't be good. And you're also talking major converter wear when taking off in 4th.

Now, have any of you had this issue fixed??? I wonder if it requires tranny removal (a major job) or just removing the solenoid cover in front of the tranny. Once fluid is drained, I'm sure it can be removed without tranny removal, but could be wrong.

Finally, my question is if the solenoids are eventually going to go bad in all cars with the same batch, or if didn't happen in 'x' miles we're home free. Of course the other question is what's that 'x' mileagae. Always something. Oh well. At least the issue supposedly resets itself with an ignition cycle in case it catches us on a trip or something. Have a good one gang.

Happened to me 3 times, all at higher speeds (65-80mph) - first time was at around 2,000 miles and the other two, two days in a row around 4,000 miles. Car manufacture date is 3/18/10.

Also, it sounds like this is beginning to happen to more and more people, there are even people on this website that have posted the same issue in other forums so it's definitely not just the people in this forum. Also, for the "lucky" ones (if you can call it that), the computer spit out a code which stated a transmission problem and the transmission needed to be replaced. I know that my dealer refuses acknowledge that this could be a transmission issue especially when it is not giving a code (understandable I guess). I am completely unfamiliar with this process, it sounds like some dealers are aware of the issue and some are not, is there some kind of database, other than TSB's, that dealers look at to view similar issues reported across the nation/world? I'm just wondering if there is a way to escalate the issue or if it is still too small. I spend a lot of time driving on the highway, and I hate the fact that I have to worry that at any time myself or other people or objects in my car could go flying forward - it's an injury waiting to happen...

#22 ·
Find out the name of the American CEO Executive (or somebody far up the food chain). Write a letter and send it certified (the kind where they do not have to sign for but you have proof you mailed. Be sure to Cc: your local dealer ship and send a copy the same way.

State you understand its hard to replicate the intermittent problem with the dealership only having for a short time and maybe offer them to take it for a thousand miles and a few weeks. State a couple of times in the letter you feel it could be a safety hazard and ask how you should proceed with letting them check it out for an "extended period of time".

Every large company I have seen pay a lot of attention when two things happen for starters (1.) something being in writing and (2.) the mention of safety hazard.

Even if they take if for an extended period of time I bet they provide a sweet loaner.

Writing is a pain but will get the ball rolling for you. You can mention others but would just stick to your case in asking them how best to proceed as.

Good luck

#23 ·
This is starting to sound a lot more like a real problem than a fluke. And the high-speed occurrences are disturbing. What everybody afflicted can do immediately is to report the incident to the NHTSA. If enough occurrences are reported, they start to investigate. And if warranted, they force the manufacturer to issue a recall. I'm not paranoid about little problems at all, but something mechanical like this, can be a ticking bomb. If this happens to be, I won't be a happy camper until fixed. I'm at 1K miles, so we'll see what happens. Somebody posted a TSB but I didn't pay any attention. It'd be nice to bookmark it in case I need it. Does anybody have that TSB? It was a solenoid, I believe. Just hope it doesn't require tranny removal, or I'd be REALLY ****. Thx.

#24 ·
QUOTE (Fallguy @ Aug 9 2010, 10:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348315
Find out the name of the American CEO Executive (or somebody far up the food chain). Write a letter and send it certified (the kind where they do not have to sign for but you have proof you mailed. Be sure to Cc: your local dealer ship and send a copy the same way.

State you understand its hard to replicate the intermittent problem with the dealership only having for a short time and maybe offer them to take it for a thousand miles and a few weeks. State a couple of times in the letter you feel it could be a safety hazard and ask how you should proceed with letting them check it out for an "extended period of time".

Every large company I have seen pay a lot of attention when two things happen for starters (1.) something being in writing and (2.) the mention of safety hazard.

Even if they take if for an extended period of time I bet they provide a sweet loaner.

Writing is a pain but will get the ball rolling for you. You can mention others but would just stick to your case in asking them how best to proceed as.

Good luck

Thanks for the info Fallguy - this helps a lot. I will have to do some research and put something in writing. Does anyone know if the car's computer only holds error codes for a certain amount of time or miles? I just don't understand why some ppl had an error code and others didn't when it was the same exact issue. The only thing I can think of is that all 3 times I had the issue, I had driven a good amount of miles before I was able to take my car in to the service dept.

Not sure how to do a double quote, but to answer elp_jc the TSB was posted by hancydan on the first page of the forum, I have pasted it below. I mentioned this TSB to my dealer and they said it only applies to vehicles that have an error code so it did not apply to my issue. I was going to mention that the TSB says "Incorrect operation of the transmission solenoids may result in the following symptoms", but I didn't feel like getting technical at the time.

Quote from hancydan:

DESCRIPTION:

#25 ·
I am in the same boat as everyone else here. Usually only occurs to me when I'm on the highway going between 50-75 mph. Loud bang, car jerks like I just hit a HUGE pothole, etc. I did not think to check the manual transmission mode to see if I'm stuck in 4th but will do that today on the way home because I'm sure it will happen to me again. It's happened to me at least 4 times in the past week. Car has approximately 3.3k miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.