Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I plan on changing brake fluid whenever I need new brakes. Close to 60k miles on my Sonata. It's unnecessary before then IMO.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
all brake fluid is considered synthetic, most normal use vehicles use dot 3 , but last time I bought brake fluid don't recall that DOT 4 was all that more expensive, longevity of brake fluid can vary based on levels of relative humidity as brake fluid absorbs moisture.

ATF is one of the few remaining areas that auto makers can perpetuate mystic about their special formulation and use an inflated pricing scheme. Most ATFs types (by class of fluid) are similar in base oil composition and vary only in the additive packages. Like others I use Valvoline Maxlife, saw now that Mobil offers a compatible ATF that might be a bit better than Valvoline.

If one really wanted to you can buy a base ATF oil and add your own additive package. Hyundai I'm sure enjoys robust margins selling their proprietary blend of ATF but they won't get my money.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I will be doing one trans drain & fill every 30k miles. Probably MaxLife.
I flush brake fluid every 3 years with synth DOT-3 fluid.
Done a couple months ago on my 2017 Tucson.
Will drain & fill coolant with Zerex Asian every 5 years.
Thermostat and radiator (reservoir) cap at 10 years.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (11/09/17)
380 Posts
You're not going to like this either...when on sale you can get Max life for $15/gal! :unsure:
And you're (probably) not going to like this either:
My thoughts, not that you asked, is if you have ANY gut feelings that a hi-mileage trans (without sound maintenance history) is weak, and you feel that changing the trans fluid will extend the life, you might accomplish the opposite.
My reasoning, "on hi-mileage cars, only change the trans filter(s) and fluid in the pan, don't mess with the remaining valve body and torque converter fluid. Let the old fluid blend in with the new to weaken new fluid's detergent strength somewhat." If trans fluid HAD NOT been changed before 75K, friction-plate fiber has settled into 'O' ring grooves and help seal off 'soft kit' parts seasoned from heat and wear. If a complete 'closed-loop' flush is done, the full-strength fluid's detergents will accelerate dissolving these deposits. Yep, it'll shift and pull great. . . for a short time. YOMV!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I have no problem with your assessment...I did one drain/fill 2 yrs ago and plan on doing another. Possibly another in 2 yrs from now...I don't put on a lot of miles.

·
Registered
457 Posts
maciver there is truth to what you mention also on 2014 2.0 Turbo Santa Fe models like mine, that have the "so called sealed transmissions" Filled with Lifetime ATF fluid that Hyundai don't want you checking fluid level or coloure they dont have a dipstick either. so when draining one of these guys make sure You use a container that has measured markings writen on the inside of it so you know exactly how much You drained out. so you can put the exact same

amount back in to fill it. & of course clean the muck off the end of the drain magnet when draining before you put it back in once you filled it start it and put gear selector from Park to N pause for 3 seconds then to Drive pausing for another 3 seconds in each selector repeat it twice this will fill in the trans cavity with fluid. personally I would do 3 drain & fills in-between for good splashing & circulation before repeating the hole drain & fill over again.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Mine was one gallon and 4 oz...not measured, but added when hot until there is a small steady stream out of the level hole. With the car on level ground and running.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So let me get this straight.
Hyundai says Transmission fluid is good for "lifetime" of vehicle right?

Is it easily drained and refilled, as I have never tried to look at procedure, and see no pics on this thread detailing it.

I have about 80,000 miles on my 15 sonata now, but with some mild shifting "jitters" at times.....hmmmm

·
Registered
i40 VF 1.7 CRDi AT6 100kW
46 Posts
You'd better have that oil change and you'll notice no jitters no more....
Don't listen to the lifetime bs.... Lifetime = 5/7/10 max years in automotive industry terms.
Cheers

Sent from my phone.

·
Registered
2015 limited 2.4
35 Posts
Well? What do they define as lifetime? After 100k your warranty is up. They're in business to sell you a new car. They don't profit from your car lasting 250k miles. Perfect for them if your tranny goes at 120k. The repair cost will then exceed the value of your car and you'll get the "let me talk to my manager again."

At 80k I would not do a complete drain and fill. I'd "wash" the new fluid in slowly. Drain 2 quarts, replace 2 quarts, drive a week, do the same thing again. If your clutches are worn they could slip with the new fluid. But hey 80k who cares? You could score a brand new transmission, just stick to the original Hyundai/Kia fluid.

·
Registered
2015 limited 2.4
35 Posts
So let me get this straight.
Hyundai says Transmission fluid is good for "lifetime" of vehicle right?

Is it easily drained and refilled, as I have never tried to look at procedure, and see no pics on this thread detailing it.

I have about 80,000 miles on my 15 sonata now, but with some mild shifting "jitters" at times.....hmmmm
Easily drained yes, but not filled. I use a pesticide pump, got it at harbor freight for $15. Sealed up the fill hole with a hose that's jammed tight. Works like a dream and fast as an oil change.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Use a pump made for ATF...you don't know what plastics may dissolve and ruin the transmission.

·
Registered
2015 limited 2.4
35 Posts
Use a pump made for ATF...you don't know what plastics may dissolve and ruin the transmission.
For the 5 min it's in the pump. I don't see how transmission fluid at ambient temperatures would desolve the plastic. Aren't you buying the fluid in a plastic container, that's sitting in there for how long? Used the pump at least 10 times and sitting at 163k right now. Don't see any reason to change. Maybe if I'd upgrade to a Bentley, but with the Sonata it's staying low budget.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
This is obviously a note for other folks...and notice I said "may"? You must be assuming this was a personal attack on your manhood, it was not meant to be. And you are assuming all plastics are the same. :oops:

·
Registered
2015 limited 2.4
35 Posts
This is obviously a note for other folks...and notice I said "may"? You must be assuming this was a personal attack on your manhood, it was not meant to be. And you are assuming all plastics are the same. :oops:
Funny! ..... manhood lol. You sound like being the offended. You have anything useful to contribute?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Doesnt this transmission have 3 ports....Fill, Drain, and one to check level?

I saw a video, that when the Check port is open, you fill it till it runs out a bit and it is automatically full. (after running it a bit through the gears etc....of course)

·
Registered
2015 limited 2.4
35 Posts
Doesnt this transmission have 3 ports....Fill, Drain, and one to check level?

I saw a video, that when the Check port is open, you fill it till it runs out a bit and it is automatically full. (after running it a bit through the gears etc....of course)
Correct, however I find the leveling plug a bit sketchy to work with. On the LF-manual it does not clearly specify if the engine is left running while removing the plug. I've tried everything. If I do remove the plug and keep running the engine fluid will just keep pouring out, and not on a light stream at all. Usually I get 5 quarts out of the LF and those are going back in. I'll run the engine, shift through the gears a couple of times. Once the tranny has warmed up to about 170F I shut her down and then check the leveling plug. For about 15sec. there's now a light stream of fluid turning almost into a drip, that's when you tighten the plastic plug, but careful 8ft/lbs very easy. Kinda ironic how the livelihood how such a high$ item depends on a little plastic plug that's literally sealed hand tight. I always measure the fluid that drained from the plug. For the last 10 to 15 times I worked on these cars it was always between 120-150ml, I guess that's due to heat expansion of the fluid.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Sbr711's instructions were to put one gallon in it (after it's drained and the trans should be warm when you drain it) let it warm back-up, leave it running and add until you get a light steady stream. It sounds like you have yours over-filled?
Think about other cars...they need to be hot and running when you check the level.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Correct, however I find the leveling plug a bit sketchy to work with. On the LF-manual it does not clearly specify if the engine is left running while removing the plug. I've tried everything. If I do remove the plug and keep running the engine fluid will just keep pouring out, and not on a light stream at all. Usually I get 5 quarts out of the LF and those are going back in. I'll run the engine, shift through the gears a couple of times. Once the tranny has warmed up to about 170F I shut her down and then check the leveling plug. For about 15sec. there's now a light stream of fluid turning almost into a drip, that's when you tighten the plastic plug, but careful 8ft/lbs very easy. Kinda ironic how the livelihood how such a high$ item depends on a little plastic plug that's literally sealed hand tight. I always measure the fluid that drained from the plug. For the last 10 to 15 times I worked on these cars it was always between 120-150ml, I guess that's due to heat expansion of the fluid.
You are not doing the procedure correctly.You are also letting the transmission fluid get too warm which lets too much fluid come out when you remove the plug.The transmission will not be properly filled.At some point in time,this will come back to bite you.

·
Registered
2015 limited 2.4
35 Posts
You are correct. I stated the incorrect value. The plug should be removed at 122F- 140F. That's generally when you hear your cooling fans kick in.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts