Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on changing my transmission fluid next week, aby recommendations on type of fluid? OEM will take 3 weeks to arrive.

Also would you recommend changing brake fluid at 75k miles? If so what kind.

Thanks so much

·
Registered
225 Posts
I say don't use a transmission fluid that does not meet specs. "Similar to" or "suitable for" is not the same as a fluid that meets spec and carries the appropriate license. A multi use ATF cannot possibly meet the specs of several different fluid types. Transmission repairs are expensive so I stick to the correct fluid. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
457 Posts
When it comes to an expensive item like a transmission I only use OEM Fluid that's it. some on here will disagree but at least I sleep well at night knowing correct fluid was used some people on here will cheap out and use a cheaper universal 1 size fits all fluid like Valvoline

maxlife ATF . I say go right ahead be my guest & risk it. I don't want to be the one broken down
on the side of the road stuck with the expensive bill later on. as far as changing brake fluid I bled mine using DOT 3-4 Premuim Johnsons Synthetic brake fluid anything past 2012 model year is fine to use synthetic brake fluid on your Hyundai.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Many here (myself) have been using Max Life synthetic without a hint of a problem.

·
Registered
i40 VF 1.7 CRDi AT6 100kW
46 Posts
Doesn't matter the producer of the oil as long as you take the correct spec (can be liqui moly, shell, chevron, amsoil or whatever you have in US).
You have in the manual the types of oil for your box.
For example in my torque convertor AT6 the oil has to meet SP-IV spec, red colour, regardless of the manufacturer.
At 90k km (60k miles) I've done the oil change with hyundai SP-IV branded oil because of it's affordable price.
Cheers.

Sent from my phone.

·
Registered
690 Posts
For brake fluid I've always used Valvoline DOT 3&4 synthetic. I usually change every 2 years here in SE due to humidity which will cloud the fluid.

As for trans fluid, not done mine yet but probably OEM as I'm still under warranty.

·
Registered
457 Posts
your not going to like hearing this.? But I was once told by Hyundai dealer service adviser using something like maxlife ATF is a halfway Mark fluid to meet Hyundai's oem ATF 6 fluid that Hyundai really wants you to use.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The manual states after the trans oil specs: "....or other brands meeting the above specification approved ny Hyundai Motor Co."

So if you're careful and keep the receipt you should be OK with other than OEM. I like Red Line oils, but got away from them several years ago. Their D6 is $12.95 per quart, not cheap.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
your not going to like hearing this.? But I was once told by Hyundai dealer service adviser using something like maxlife ATF is a halfway Mark fluid to meet Hyundai's oem ATF 6 fluid that Hyundai really wants you to use.
You're not going to like this either...when on sale you can get Max life for $15/gal! :unsure:

·
Registered
457 Posts
On my 2014 Santa Fe when bought used with 114,oookm's 1st thing I wanted to do on my check List of observing fluids & filters to do... was ATF fluid change, let's just say 1st drain was not exactly the nicest red coloured fluid as I expected to see took 3 drain & fills to get it where it looked like a proper nice cherry red & cleaning drain magnet each time. there after, even though

Hyundai has no mention writen intervals in there owners manual for changing ATF.?? instead Hyundai would rather lie & tell you it's Life time fluid. if You go by that you will be broken down somewhere on the side of the road well after your warranty expires.

·
Registered
i40 VF 1.7 CRDi AT6 100kW
46 Posts
+1 on that.
Also, we all know their bs with life time oil. Life time refers to those 5 or 7 or 10 years of their own appreciation on the usage of the car.
That's how they run the show. Life time, yes, not human life time, but vehicle's.
Anyway it will never hurt a box to receive new oil of the correct specification. Even a one time flush will not harm it. 2 3 times flushing is best, but costs a tad more.
Cheers!

Sent from my phone.

·
Registered
457 Posts
bumbul Doing a few drain & fills do alot of good at replenishing an ATF transmission when You 1st buy a reasonably still new vehicle & do a few ATF drain & fills there after I try to buy & pick-out something fairly new & maintained & change fluids & filters early before it goes bad down the road. what bothers me especially in this covid 19 crisis is when people are at home

with car payments & Just getting by & it's not only what I see with Hyundai but with alot of Manufactures is.? they all know an ATF transmission with out touching its Fluid. Yes you heard me right with out touching its ATF Fluid will last You somewhere in the range of 2-220.000km's with-out changing there so called Long Life

ATF Fluid they know this people. It's been seen before. time & time again. with manufactures seems like it's all about getting it passed it's Manufactures warranty period. once it breaks after warranty expires. they wash there hands the final bill is up to You there after. Manufactures out there should be ashamed of themselves for letting your customers down. Yes I'm talking to

You.! let's get something straite No Fluid or part is Lifetime,. You all know this already, so ..stop this Lifetime this & that Nonsense.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For brake fluid I've always used Valvoline DOT 3&4 synthetic. I usually change every 2 years here in SE due to humidity which will cloud the fluid.

As for trans fluid, not done mine yet but probably OEM as I'm still under warranty.
Using a Premuim brand brake fluid is like comparing a good synthetic engine oil to use. it does make a big difference in the longevity & performance of the braking system Valvoline synthetic is good brake fluid to use. never buy cheap brake fluid even as a top up heard to many

negative things about it. how are you changing brake fluid? reason I ask? some people just syringe it out of resevoir & refill it with new fluid that's just changing brake fluid. yes most of it is in the resevoir but there's still some old fluid that remains in the brake line connected to the caliper proper way after that is to bleed it out.

·
Registered
2015 limited 2.4
35 Posts
Plan on changing my transmission fluid next week, aby recommendations on type of fluid? OEM will take 3 weeks to arrive.

Also would you recommend changing brake fluid at 75k miles? If so what kind.

Thanks so much
You're under 100k so stick with the OEM Hyundai. You can also get the Kia fluid to save a few bucks it's exactly the same.
Personally I've done 3 drain and fills at 60k and 120k. My warranty is up. I tried Valvoline it's cheap, and looks thinner than the OEM. Found Redline D6 and loving it. Shifts smooth as butter at 165k.
About the break fluid any dot 3 will do.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would use a synthetic Quality Premuim DOT 4 brake fluid they have a higher boiling point more resistant to brake fade when hot temps rise.

·
Registered
690 Posts
how are you changing brake fluid? reason I ask? some people just syringe it out of resevoir & refill it with new fluid that's just changing brake fluid. yes most of it is in the resevoir but there's still some old fluid that remains in the brake line connected to the caliper proper way after that is to bleed it out.
When I change brake fluid I flush the entire system. Unfortunately Hyundai makes getting the reservoir screen off impossible, so it's slow without being able to suck fluid from reservoir first.

I use a vacuum suction tool to pull fluid from the bleeder screws.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yup DIYr I hear you on my 2014 S.F. I had to use a very thin tip screw driver tool to pry out the plastic screen found in the brake resevoir I did get it out though and managed after that to syringe a good amount of old fluid out those vacuum tools are very handy for bleeding brakes yourself. You can even use a syring to suck out fluid from the bleeder as long as it's a good size one like this one with a clear tubing hose attached at the end your fine.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts