Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently purchased a 2001 Accent GL automatic without a owners manual and I am in the process of changing the transmission fluid but I hear it is different than most vehicle types. Can someone let me know what type it uses. (After market) Greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is correct. You CANNOT use traditional ATF fluid. You will need to get Diamond ATF SP II which if you turn over and read the bottle of the fluid you're buying will state which type it is. Typically I have purchased Castorl Import ATF fluid at my local auto parts store and near the top of the label it mentions: Meets or exceeds Diamond SP II and Diamond SP III specs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
This is what you need -

See pics

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
The fluid's easy to change & if you do it yourself, you can also change the filter. To change the fluid only, you can drain it using the drain plug. To change the filter, you need to remove the pan & then you'll see the filter. If you remove the pan, DO NOT over torque the bolts - the transmission housing is soft aluminum and you can easily strip the threads. I prefer to under torque slightly and then use the BLUE thread locker on the bolt threads for installation (Blue is not permanent - Red is, DO NOT use RED). The cost of the fluid and filter is a lot cheaper than getting the whole thing done at a garage that won't bother to change the filter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Crap SBR, I got about a half dozen quarts of that stuff for my Sonata. If its the same stuff you use in an accent I gotta go hide 'em real quick before my son finds them (he's got an accent). Wait a minit!! He's got a manually tranny! Whew, I'm safe. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
yea i researched and kinda came to the conclusion not to use the castrol..even though its 1/3 to 1/5 the price of dealer fluid...put the fear in me so i was patient and found some fluid for about $6 a quart total cost with shipping...better than the $11 a quart at the stealership..and its so small of a amount i just would rather use the real stuff

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a question what if you think someone may have put the wrong fluid in my tanny. Can I just drain the pan and put the right stuff in or is more draining needed? I figured may be worth a shot since I know the fluid has been changed and fourth is sliping then had a tranny shop pull the pan and no metal in the pan. Also don't know what fluid they put back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts