Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just drained and filled my transmission today

Just completed my drain and fill today and it was fairly simple to do.
I took off the the front and driver side underside protectors and the air intake snorkel. Took the car for a drive up the mountain and got it to full operating temperature, came back and drained it using a 24mm socket (black plug on bottom of transmission) and also removed the side plug with a 3/8" ratchet. I measured what came out and it was just shy of 4 quarts in my container, but some had splashed out of the pan, so I refilled it with an even 4 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series fluid. I bought a transmission filling funnel that tapers off at the end to fit the fill hole perfectly and will uload some pics of it in the next post because all it lets me do is 10 at a time. The last pic is the fluid before and after the drain and fill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next 10 photos

Here are a few more pics showing the funnel and tube needed as well as the before and after pice of the magnetic drain plug with all that junk stuck to it.
For now I am keeping the under body protector off for a week of driving to allow it to mix well so I can do another drain and fill of the Amsiol fluid next week.
Maybe this will help anyone interesting in doing it themselves as I was quoted $212 from a local transmission shop for just 1 drain and fill.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I appreciate this, I know most people say it's not needed but judging by those colors it simply cannot hurt to provide moving parts with some good oil.

How many miles did you have? and did you feel any difference? Good or bad for that matter...

Thanks for taking the time to do this btw

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I appreciate this, I know most people say it's not needed but judging by those colors it simply cannot hurt to provide moving parts with some good oil.

How many miles did you have? and did you feel any difference? Good or bad for that matter...

Thanks for taking the time to do this btw
I'm sorry, I meant to post the mileage but got distracted trying to upload the pics. It has 53,670 miles on it. Honestly, the transmission shifted very smoothly before the swap and I haven't noticed any major changes at all. Early on in very cold weather the transmission banged a bit but that hasn't happened in a long time on my car, but others have complained about it recently. Amsoil flows great in cold weather so it's an improvement in that regard alone.
There is a Hyundai tech, SBR711, that helps a lot on the forums, and is hybrid certified as well. He mentions the need for changing the fluid in this thread:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/225569-transmission-fluid-change.html
To me it's just common sense that any fluid has to break down with wear and heat over time, and 100,000 miles is way too far on the same fluid, which coincidently is when the powertrain warranty just happens to expire. Believe me, knowing how easy it is to do it now, I would have done it every 30,000 miles. The most time consuming part of the job is removing the bottom panels and getting it up on the ramps. Everything else is easy.

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
Just completed my drain and fill today and it was fairly simple to do.
I took off the the front and driver side underside protectors and the air intake snorkel. Took the car for a drive up the mountain and got it to full operating temperature, came back and drained it using a 24mm socket (black plug on bottom of transmission) and also removed the side plug with a 3/8" ratchet. I measured what came out and it was just shy of 4 quarts in my container, but some had splashed out of the pan, so I refilled it with an even 4 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series fluid. I bought a transmission filling funnel that tapers off at the end to fit the fill hole perfectly and will uload some pics of it in the next post because all it lets me do is 10 at a time. The last pic is the fluid before and after the drain and fill.
Your old ATF looks nasty. Definitely needed to be changed. I suggested doing a drain and fill every 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just performed the same drain and fill the day before I did the Sonata on my '15 Odyssey with 16,000 miles on it, and while the plug was not as bad as the Sonata, the fluid was just as dark. For a few bucks, it is worth knowing the fluid is fresh and clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just did a 2nd drain and fill today at 53,778 miles to get more Amsoil fluid in the transmission, and now it is really nice and red. I got just a tad over 3-1/2 quarts out and back in.
What surprised me was that although there wasn't any noticeable shavings or build up on the magnetic plug like last week's change, there was a lot of black crap that smudged off on the paper towel again just like the picture in my last post showing my Odyssey's plug. I wasn't expecting that with just a week of driving with the mixed fluid. Well, either way I would guess that I have about 90% Amsoil and 10% original fluid running through the transmission now and I am good for at least another 30,000 miles or more. Anyone on the fence about changing the fluid should watch the video and look at the pictures as it is really very easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't mess with your tranny fluid

Why would you do this? It is not recommended by Hyundai. The transmission is a sealed system for a reason - you shouldn't mess with it, it will just lead to damage. If you read the manual you will not see service the tranny fluid in there. If your dealer or other service person recommends the "transmission flush" you should run away from them and never take your car back in there!

From the manual:

"Automatic transaxle fluid should not be checked under normal usage conditions. But in severe conditions, the fluid should be changed at an authorized HYUNDAI dealer in accordance to the scheduled maintenance at the beginning of this chapter.

✽ NOTICE
Automatic transaxle fluid color is basically red. As the vehicle is driven, the automatic transaxle fluid will begin to look darker. This is a normal condition and you should not judge the need to replace the fluid based upon the changed color."

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
"But in severe conditions, the fluid should be changed"

This says it all. If you need to change, then vinnyg's post is very helpful. Thanks vinnyg.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone know the procedure to check the proper fluid level after drain and fill?

Do we need to level the car and pull the fill plug? Anything like that at a certain temperature since the fluid expands when hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Excellent post. Agree 100% and just to clear up the oil colour thing, the ATF will change colour from a bright red to a dark red this is normal, however brown or black colour with a burnt smell requires ATF change. Some manufactures are revising their ATF change policy to better reflex real world driving conditions. I drain my ATF every 60,000 km but of course my conditions may be different to someone else. To prolong the life of the transmission I suggest the fitting of a correctly fitted transmission cooler. Changing ATF will NOT damage in any way your transmission. Please excuse my spelling of the word colour, it is an Australian/North Irish thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hey vinnyg, where did you buy the atf fluid from, can you post a link or something on the same exact fluid....What grade ATF is required for our hybrids?...mine is 2013....

Any link to the exact product will be help full...

Sandan

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Couple PDF's attached for fluid level check. Will need a scantool, scanguage, allgauge, torque app,..... to verify ATF temperature. Its not sealed and does have drain, fill, and check level plugs.

Your owners manual has the required spec and can be found at any Kia/Hyundai dealership.
Any equivalent ATF can be used. Typically, SP4, SPIV.... can use any of the low-viscosity full synthetic MPG/ECO type ATFs.

For example:
RAVENOL ATF SP-IV Fluid - Ravenol
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/signature-series-fuel-efficient-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/oe-fuel-efficient-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/?code=OTLQT-EA
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/automatic-transmission-products/maxlife-multi-vehicle-atf
Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF | United States
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/transmission/bg-low-viscosity-full-synthetic-atf/
https://www.redlineoil.com/d6-atf
http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/LG_Complete_ATF_sell_sheet_en_fnl2.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey vinnyg, where did you buy the atf fluid from, can you post a link or something on the same exact fluid....What grade ATF is required for our hybrids?...mine is 2013....

Any link to the exact product will be help full...

Sandan
I only use Amsoil products in my vehicles as I feel they are the best and last longer than many other fluids.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/signature-series-fuel-efficient-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/?code=ATLQT-EA

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/oe-fuel-efficient-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/?code=OTLQT-EA

·
Registered
385 Posts
I did a 3x drain and fill this summer at 60K miles and the fluid that came out looked really dark. The magnetic plug had a good inch of black metal around it. No way I would wait till 100k miles for a drain and fill, at least for my daily driving which is a tough commute with plenty of crazy NJ stop and go, highway and hills. In went Maxlife fluid, I think I cleared out the Walmart shelves at $3 a quart on clearance.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did a 3x drain and fill this summer at 60K miles and the fluid that came out looked really dark. The magnetic plug had a good inch of black metal around it. No way I would wait till 100k miles for a drain and fill, at least for my daily driving which is a tough commute with plenty of crazy NJ stop and go, highway and hills. In went Maxlife fluid, I think I cleared out the Walmart shelves at $3 a quart on clearance.
Wow, that was a lot of crud on the magnet. You got a good deal on that fluid too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Crush washer for the drain plug.

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-gasket-transaxle-cas~45323-39000.html?Make=Hyundai&Model=Sonata+Hybrid&Year=2013&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=auto-transmission-case,4345211,45323B

Hyundai Part No.: 45323-39000
GASKET-TRANSAXLE CAS
This part can be found in the diagram as Ref No.(PNC): 45323B

Fill - Level plug gasket.

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-gasket-oil-level-plu~45285-3b010.html?Make=Hyundai&Model=Sonata+Hybrid&Year=2013&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=auto-transmission-case,4345211,45285B

Part No. 45285-3B010
Part Description GASKET-OIL LEVEL PLU
Manufacturer Hyundai. This genuine Hyundai part is guaranteed by Hyundai's factory warranty.
This part can be found in the diagram as Ref No.(PNC): 45285B

1 - 20 of 38 Posts