Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2004 XG350 with 110,000 miles, according to the dealer the last transmission flush was done at 75000 miles. My question is I was going to drain it myself and refill, now the book says about 8.5 qts however how many qts will come out from just the drain plug? Also it says to remove the line from the radiator and then run the engine for no more than 1 minute. Is that recommended, also how many qts will be expelled from doing that. I did use the search function but couldn't locate my answers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just paid 75 bucks to have it done at the dealer, it would have been about 30bucks less to DIY.

as for the capacity from draining from plug, no idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dang my dealer wanted to charge 159.99, so I went there and bought 6 quarts and ended up using about 4.5 to drain the tranny and just refill it. Probably not the most efficient way to do it, but I figured I will do it again in 10-15000 miles, since it was really easy and the oil only cost about 35.00

·
Registered
34 Posts
Drain and refill is super easy to do on these cars because of the handy drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. Plus, I don't believe in flushing the transmission as this can cause major problems.

NOTE: The drain plug takes the same type of crush washer as the oil drain plug. You can purchase these from your local Hyundai dealer.

Drain Plug Gasket Part No: 21513-11000

Here's what I do:

1. Purchase 11 qts of Hyundai SP-III Trans Fluid and drain plug gasket
2. Remove plastic shroud
3. Remove drain plug (I think it's a 15/16" plug)
4. Allow transmission fluid to drain (I measured what came out of mine last time and I got exactly 5.25 qts)
5. Take old drain plug gasket and flip it upside down and place onto drain plug
6. Install drain plug
7. Refill transmission
8. Drive vehicle (at least 100 miles...remember to check trans fluid level)
9. Repeat steps 3-7 (for step 5, put new gasket on drain plug)
10. Install plastic shroud
11. Drive vehicle and check trans fluid level

It's not as thorough as doing a flush, but if you keep up on the maintenance it really doesn't matter.

I change mine every 15K.

I've had transmissions go bad in other vehicles and now I change the fluid like this in all my vehicles and haven't had any problems.

**You could remove the line from the radiator, but it makes a huge mess since there is about 100psi coming out of the trans. Also, if you do this, you should have a container full of new fluid and you should remove both trans lines and have one "suck" and one "blow".

Don't quote me on this because it has been a while since I've had the lines off, but I believe the line closest to the trans dipstick is the "out" and the line nearest the engine is the return. An easy way to test this out is to drive the car and when you stop, pop the hood and feel each of the lines. The warmer line is the "out" and the cooler one is the return. Basically the fluid comes out of the transmission and goes into the external cooler (the one in front of the radiator) and then into the radiator and then back into the trans. You want to do this after you drive the car around...if you do it with the car parked both lines will feel equally warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts