Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took my Elantra 2011 for an oil change and the mechanic told me that my tranny fluid is brown and might need changing. I look up a few forums online and some say that changing the fluid at such high kms is not recommended. I got the car when it was 128k kms and dont think the previous owner has ever done a fluid change by the looks of it. confused as to what to do

·
Registered
158 Posts
So i took my Elantra 2011 for an oil change and the mechanic told me that my tranny fluid is brown and might need changing. I look up a few forums online and some say that changing the fluid at such high kms is not recommended. I got the car when it was 128k kms and dont think the previous owner has ever done a fluid change by the looks of it. confused as to what to do
On past experience of changing fluid on vehicles with 150kms I never had any problems doing a drain and fill (not a flush)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Maxmhd should not be a problem. do a drane and fill and drive it for a week, if you got no issues do a 2nd one drive it again for a week. but stay away from flushing the trans.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I would have no hesitation changing fluid up to perhaps 200kms.
Would have been better to do it sooner.
My routine will be first change 50kms, then every 100kms, as advised by an experienced rebuilder.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I would have no hesitation changing fluid up to perhaps 200kms.
Would have been better to do it sooner.
My routine will be first change 50kms, then every 100kms, as advised by an experienced rebuilder.
Correct. i been told the key factor is to introduce the new fluid slowly to mix in with the old stuff if the tranny likes what it sees & handles it well clean the drane magnet. then you do a 2nd one, drive some 100k's & lastly clean the magnet once more do a 3rd drane & fill and your good.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Just looked up the owners manual and it says a transmission fluid change isn't needed at all except when driving in rough conditions.
Dont buy that its a Sales tacktic used to sell a car. dont be fooled theres no magic ATF oil that will last the life of any vehicle they all breakdown and need replacing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts