Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership is telling me that I need to have my transmission fluid changed on my 2013 Elantra at 60k miles and is charging a boat load to do it. I've looked at the manual and it doesn't show it as needing that done at 60k miles except under severe conditions. The maintenance log just says have it done every 60k miles and doesn't make mention of weather it's for severe or normal conditions. If I have to get it done, I'm definitely shopping around at other car service companies. Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Doesn't the fluid look and/or smell burnt?

I hate flushes, they usually are followed by a broken tranny.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hard to smell if one does not have a dipstick. Not sure if really required to maintain the warranty but at 60,000 probably a good idea. Price should be 125-175 range for a flush, under 100 for a drain and fill. The fluid cost is a key ingredient with the dealer, ask how much they are charging per quart of the stuff? If you go elsewhere finding the compatable fluid is a must.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have an 05 Santa Fe and my tranny failed at 44,000. I had the service done by my local shop and saved a few $$'s by having them do it rather than my dealer. It wasn't worth it.....the dealership put me off almost 2 weeks before they finally ok'd the repair as being warrantied. If your car is under the factory warranty let them do the service that way they can't say it wasn't properly done and if something does happen its in Hyundais computer as being serviced by the dealership.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
How much are they charging? The manual is a little confusing about this since it says to exchange every 60K for severe service then under normal service I think it says to just check the fluid at 120K. I have to go back and check the manual since its been a while.

It makes it tougher since our car has no dipstick so its not easy to check fluid. I would probably get mine done at 60K/5 years but I had temp sensor replaced around 30K and they removed and replaced fluid then so I will probably wait till 90K.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's $550 for the entire 60k service. That includes $250 for the transmission fluid flush and $130 for the coolant flush (which I'm also suspicious about).

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
$250 is a bit high for transmission but not bad. I would call around if you have a few dealers in the area.

You can drain and flush coolant at home for about $25. You just need coolant, a few gallons of distilled water and time. I will be doing mine at the 5/60 mark.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Don't do a flush. If the fluid is OK, drain and fill is sufficient. Shouldn't be more than $60 or so.

Like sbr711 said, "all a flush does is flush the cash from your wallet"

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
I've done it for my Toyotas that have had ATs (not many)

For the Accent I think I'll follow this guy's advice, from the same thread:

Ha it happens to us all. This is a lot more difficult than my Focus that had trans dipstick. After the last pan drop and filter replacement I decided Im done servicing my own transmission.
:D

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Coolant flush is not needed until 5 years or 120,000 I believe. Look in your manual.

I think the drain and fill would also be fine, especially since you already had one when the sensor was replaced.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
MD 6 speeder A/T... hopefully you can get a MIL with a 0711/12/13 DTC,,, and get your ATF changed for FREE within the 5yr/60 warranty period, along with replacement of A/T wire harness-ATF temp sensor..

Fluid alone is $17.50/qt (SP4-M).. depending on long they leave it sit to drain, I been averaging a little over 5qt to refill..

We drain-refill coolant every 30,, clean coolant wont have time to start any funny stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the feedback. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to hold off getting the transmission fluid and coolant changed. I am very easy on my car and probably 75% of my mileage is on highways. When I get to around 100k, I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
639 Posts
We did a tranny drain and fill at 30k on our 2013 Elantra at a friend's Nissan shop. The fluid looked fine, but smelled really nasty, as did the new fluid. So we decided to do 60k intervals in the future. Used Valvoline synthetic ATF compatible with Hyundai fluid, and it was NOT the high mileage version.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't do a flush. If the fluid is OK, drain and fill is sufficient. Shouldn't be more than $60 or so.

Like sbr711 said, "all a flush does is flush the cash from your wallet"
The problem with draining and refilling only is that you are only removing about 40% of the old fluid. A drain and flush removes all of the fluid. The only time this is bad is if one waits until the fluid is so old that the clutch 'needs' the old thick fluid to grip. Replacing the fluid before it gets that bad should have no ill effects to a good transmission.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
does anybody READ their maintenance log? should be one in every packet when you get your car. unless the dealer removes it because they dont want you to know what hyundai recommends. so, looking at our 2016 log, it says replace every 60k FOR SERVICE SEVERE. if normal, no check, no service required. even at 150k, which is the limit of our log. to compare, log also says oil and filter every 3750/6mo if SERVICE SEVERE. if not, then every 7k/12 mo. on another note, i have documented for perpetuity with hyundai that our cars are NORMAL service. hyundai does have a way to classify service as either normal or severe. example-dealer, "all cars in this area are service severe." me, "no they aint." dlr, yes they is. me, check hyundai case nr xxxxx on your computer. dlr-oh, well, i guess not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
does anybody READ their maintenance log? should be one in every packet when you get your car. unless the dealer removes it because they dont want you to know what hyundai recommends. so, looking at our 2016 log, it says replace every 60k FOR SERVICE SEVERE. if normal, no check, no service required. even at 150k, which is the limit of our log. to compare, log also says oil and filter every 3750/6mo if SERVICE SEVERE. if not, then every 7k/12 mo. on another note, i have documented for perpetuity with hyundai that our cars are NORMAL service. hyundai does have a way to classify service as either normal or severe. example-dealer, "all cars in this area are service severe." me, "no they aint." dlr, yes they is. me, check hyundai case nr xxxxx on your computer. dlr-oh, well, i guess not.
At 150,000 miles, transmission fluid is pink/brown under non-severe use. The problem is that there is no dip stick to check the fluid color. Thus, it's best practice to change it earlier than too late.

The term "severe service" has no useful definition. The dealer said my car, which is used for mostly local shopping and pickups, is severe usage and should be changed after 6 months. After 5,000 miles/6 mos. the engine oil looked fine.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
The term "severe service" has no useful definition. The dealer said my car, which is used for mostly local shopping and pickups, is severe usage and should be changed after 6 months. After 5,000 miles/6 mos. the engine oil looked fine.
Your dealer is out to make money by selling their services.
If you drove it once in six months they would say it needs service because it was sitting for so long.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts