Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sold an external Transmission filter (oil filter type) for my '06 sonata.... I cannot seem to find where it goes and I don't have my manual. It looks like I was sold the wrong part from what I saw while google'ing.

Sorry if this was posted before but I searched and it didnt come up with anything.

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (Mr. Klersy @ Oct 19 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364664
I was sold an external Transmission filter (oil filter type) for my '06 sonata.... I cannot seem to find where it goes and I don't have my manual. It looks like I was sold the wrong part from what I saw while google'ing.

Sorry if this was posted before but I searched and it didnt come up with anything.

Thanks for your help!
I'd ask for my money back. Who sold you a Transmission Filter for your 2006. Do you know that they are not user serviceable. Sure they exist,

but do not need replacement on this model! Reading your post again I have no idea what you are talking about. Why not take a picture and post it here!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Oct 19 2010, 09:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364677
Reading your post again I have no idea what you are talking about. Why not take a picture and post it here!

FYI,, earlier model A/T around 1999 maybe through about 2001 Sonata/Elantra/Santa Fe had ATF filter that look like an oil filter that spun onto the top of the trans case.

Mots of the external filter transmissions been pulled out of the re-man program.. but we had 1 show up at our place a few month back... tech was miffed looking at the trans (new guy), I been around 7yr, so I knew what was going on.

If I think about it, I'll keep my eyes open for a trans with filter on it, and a NGT without the external filter.

As to the internal permanent filter, we on dealer level is not allowed to split case on A/T... that is Translead' job when they overhaul.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 19 2010, 11:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364704
FYI,, earlier model A/T around 1999 maybe through about 2001 Sonata/Elantra/Santa Fe had ATF filter that look like an oil filter that spun onto the top of the trans case.

Most of the external filter transmissions been pulled out of the re-man program.. but we had 1 show up at our place a few month back... tech was miffed looking at the trans (new guy), I been around 7yr, so I knew what was going on.

If I think about it, I'll keep my eyes open for a trans with filter on it.
Found 1 here in for service this week...

Here is the old style spin on filter... don't confuse the blue color to think it is a Hyundai oil filter,,,,, it carries a different part number, feels heavier, and has "A/T ONLY" painted on top out of the box..

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ Oct 30 2010, 01:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367523
Isn't there a serviceable filter in the transmission? The pan is mounted sideways, I've seen filters online. The dealer says its a life line filter, or there is no filter. Hmm?

See post #3.. side pan trans is the NGT, only thing uner the cover is the valve body with solenoids,, filter is not service item at dealer level per Hyundai rules. You can replace filter after 10/100 warranty is up or you 2nd owner, but the trans has to come out, and split the case... it is in the bottom of the case.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 30 2010, 01:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367535
See post #3.. side pan trans is the NGT, only thing uner the cover is the valve body with solenoids,, filter is not service item at dealer level per Hyundai rules. You can replace filter after 10/100 warranty is up or you 2nd owner, but the trans has to come out, and split the case... it is in the bottom of the case.
Hmm, I think I'll pass. My 06 V6 has 106k on it right now. **** why would they discontinue the spin on filter. I know the my dads 99 Saturn SW2 has one, easy service. Just like most commercial automatics. They got it right with the drain plug at least, I just don't get why they use a big ol' bolt. Maybe so it won't confuse Jiffy Lube techs. I had a dealer trans flush at 50k and then at 98k I did a drain and fill, drove a week and did another drain and fill. I was considering an inline filter but since I don't know the line size or the direction of flow I gave up.

I wasn't too confident with the radiator flush machine, I asked to see what was going on and some guy was just sucking coolant out it didn't look to successful. There wasn't a tight seal on top of the radiator, it appeared there was a skinny hose dipped in the radiator...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts