Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I cant find out which type of transmission fluid filter my car has, would any of you be able to help me out.

Also, has anyone had any luck with non Hyundai SP-III ATF, like Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF? My local dealership is qouting $12 a quart, which is insane.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just says "Elantra XD" in "Drives" there under username, and no mention of model year anywhere..

A few of the early had a spin-on filter on top of the trans, but Hyundai did away with that, and with trans replacements, Hyundai removed the external filter trans from circulation..

The NGT used in the XD, side pan trans, the filter is considered "lifetime".. to replace this filter, the trans has to be removed from car to a bench top, then trans case opened up to go inside and replace filter.. in most respects, opening case is not done on dealer level, internal repairs due to trans failure is done by Hyundai contract facility when trans core returned.. we just swap unit with RE-MAN.

SP-III, hit local KIA dealer too,, 00232-19012 I think it is.. MSRP on SP-III is around $7/qt.. I have to look when I get to work (kids on 2hr school delay this morning).. sound like somebody milking customer for what they can get.

I could sell 6qt @ $5.50/qt, but shipping be a pain

·
Registered
349 Posts
Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle ATF meets the requirements of SP-III and SP-IV for about $6.50/qt and is full synthetic. It's what i use in my Sonata which spec's SP-IV. Your local auto part store should carry it, and if not amazon carries it for $6.40/qt with free shipping.

Part numbers 788699 and vv324 will both work in our vehicles.

Valvoline.com > Products > Valvoline > Automatic Transmission Fluid Valvoline > Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid

Valvoline.com > Products > MaxLife > Automatic Transmission Fluid MaxLife > MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I drive a 2004 Elantra GT.

That is interesting that my car does not have a replaceable filter, I guess that is one less thing for me to worry about.

I have been looking at the valvoline Max Life Import Vehicle ATF, but i am just worried that it could cause a problem with my transmission. I just want to be sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I drive a 2004 Elantra GT.

I have been looking at the valvoline Max Life Import Vehicle ATF, but i am just worried that it could cause a problem with my transmission. I just want to be sure.

Thanks.
yup i can vouch that it works. and it's backward compatible with SP-III

1 - 5 of 5 Posts