Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may just be me paying too much attention.
3.5l 81,000 miles
Sooo when I’m braking down a long hill about 1/2 mile to a mile about 50 miles an hour or slower/ slowing down. It acts like it shifts out of gear and stays at idle. Then the idle will start to surge to 1000 rpm like it’s waiting to catch the next lowest gear but it doesn’t. Press the gas at the bottom and it acts like it was never out of a gear and just keeps on trucking. No slamming no surging, no shift feeling. It’s like it keeps the idle up to keep it in that gear and doesn’t shift to one lower. If I put it in shift select. It will say 5th. I will down shift one it goes to almost 2 grand and starts to engine brake like it should. So is it just staying in fifth till i hit a lower speed and it will down shift itself? It’s confusing and am wondering if anyone experiences the same thing. Any input would be helpful. I sense I’m just not slowing down enough for it to go to the lower gear. I bought this used though and am not sure if it’s normal.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The engine controls will read manifold pressure and open/close the throttle butterfly to maintain whatever negative pressure setpoint it's looking for. Mine does something similar. If it seems to act normally other than that, I'd not worry about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts