Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Santa Fe with the 2.7 V6 and I've been trying to solve the hard 2-3 upshift issue since we bought it last year. I've tried the learning mode reset, Dealer can't solve it. Finally, I've concluded that replacing the Transmission computer will do it. I noticed there are two part numbers for the early 2.7 FWD versions. I currently have the computer with part number 95440-39660 and I'm was able to get what may be an updated version with part number 9544039661. Anyone have any experience or input about the versions.

I also got a 4WD transmission computer for free but I'm reluctant to install it on a 2WD car. Is this a big No-No or should I give it a shot?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Give it a little more time. Member sbr711 is a Hyundai tech and will likely have the answer to your question.

If memory serves, however, there is a TSB out for improved shifting smoothness on the 2.7 liter with the 4-speed automatic.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have run down the upgrade menu..

12 - 2001 2.7 Ox

33 - VO2 Ox recall program - 2002

46 - 2.4/2.7 shift (bump 2-10 mph) 2004 model,

48 - engine hesitation,, 2003-2004

50 - 2004 shift feel improvement, suspect you could manual input vehicle to GDS, then "manual mode" the program into TCM..

Nothing titled 2001 specifically, I would venture you could manual mode the later programs into the controller and see what happen..

GDS may even just pop them as applicable..

Get teh car hot... remove cable to reset adapt..

Running, shift P > R, R > N,, N > D and back and forth 10-15 times,,,, then slowly drive with enough throttle to get upshift all the way to 4th, roll down to stop ---> no more than 25% throttle, kinda hard without scan tool for throttle % data..

After you do this 3-4 times, then drive conservative for a few mile.... I take and use manual shifter to learn trans shift there also.

If when done and you notice trans acting stupid, try it in sport mode, if it act same there, trans is bum..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just swapped to the 4WD transmission computer from a 2003 Santa Fe and did the learning reset as instructed but the rough 2-3 upshift is still there.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Santafeowner @ Jul 29 2010, 08:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346019
Well I just swapped to the 4WD transmission computer from a 2003 Santa Fe and did the learning reset as instructed but the rough 2-3 upshift is still there.

I'm going to venture you buying a transmission...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still doubting the entire transmission needs to be replaced. The rough upshift happens every time and intensity varies by engine RPM and operating temperature. I still believe the condition is due to a faulty sensor. I'm looking for a wiring schematic for the transmission at this point.

This transmission found it's way into several Hyundai/Mitsubishi/Chrysler products so they are cheap to find used. I spotted on in a late model Mitsubishi Galant a parts recycler for about $90.00.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Have you tried draining out the transmission fluid in the pan and putting in about 4.5 quarts of new transmission fluid? I did that a month or so ago on my 2001 and I was surprised how much it improved the feel when it shifted. I thought the "clunk" I felt was a bad motor mount, but it was actually the tranny.

BE SURE to use Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi fluid, the SP-III fluid. Cost for five quarts of fluid and a new crush washer for the drain plug was about US $37 and an hour's worth of work. Plan on dropping the splash pan under the front end and drive the car 2-3 miles to warm the fluid so it will drain a little faster. I figure that doing this every other oil change will keep the fluid acceptably fresh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fluid that's in the trans right now looks fresh but I guess it can't hurt to replace it with the Hyundai brand.

I took the car to work today which means getting it up to highway speeds compared to the city driving my wife usually does. I noticed around 75-80 mph the speedo flutters.

I'm thinking it may be a bad speed sensor. I wonder if that's related to the rough shifting?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You may be on the right track. The transmission depends on the vehicle speed, among many other inputs, to do its thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE (Santafeowner @ Jul 30 2010, 06:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346239
The fluid that's in the trans right now looks fresh but I guess it can't hurt to replace it with the Hyundai brand.

I took the car to work today which means getting it up to highway speeds compared to the city driving my wife usually does. I noticed around 75-80 mph the speedo flutters.

I'm thinking it may be a bad speed sensor. I wonder if that's related to the rough shifting?
Hi,
I wandered over here from the Tucson site. I have a 2005 Tucson 2.7 L automatic with 2-3rd hard shift issues under load and acceleration.
This is my first post so bare w/me. The car has 74K on it and is well maintained.
I just started looking into this problem and am very interested in what you have to say.
Here's something I found at another site. Hope it helps.

My 2004 Hyundai sonata shifts hard form 2-3rd?
I have a 2004 hyundai sonata v-6 that just started shifting hard from 2nd -3rd sometimes other gears too it has 70000 miles and the transmission fluid has never been changed. Do you think I should change the filter and the fluid or just flush the fluid? Do you think that this is the problem or is it something else. Also the audio on the radio went out but radio still functions, also power mirrors stopped working and I cant find a fuse. Do you think that these two things could be related, or coincidence?
7 months ago
Report Abuse

Hyundai Guru

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Good advise from "Hyundai Service" guy. Also, take into consideration the following three things I have experienced.

1. If check engine light is ON, there are chances one of the Input or Output speed sensor to have gone bad and need replacement.

2. Hyundai have a TSB related to hard or delayed shifting for Sonata.

3.Slight chances could also be related to one of the engine/transmission mounts. Have them inspected by anybody in the auto service industry.

In both first cases I would recommend you to contact dealer and have it checked/repaired. The non dealer shop have no access to re programing software or diagnose transmission problems.
Source(s):
Hyundai GURU (also Service Manager @ Hyundai)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts