Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, maybe I'm just over reacting or I could be on to something... I don't know. Here's the deal:

I've got a 2011 Elantra with about 29K (2K of which I have put on within the past two weeks...) and I've noticed that the transmission will downshift very quickly (in any situation) but it is very hesitant to upshift into a higher gear. I wouldn't be complaining, but I swear the auto in my '02 Santa Fe was MUCH quicker.

Could there be a update for the behavior? Or is this just typical? Input is appreciated in advance. :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
No PCM/TCM updates.. seeing a lot of 10-11 Elantra and Touring with crappy 2-3 shift... during shift the trans bounce in/out during upshift. Standard practice been to replace trans..

I just finish install trans this morning, we have seen a bunch of Elantra the past 3yr now. Another tell tale is you may find a noticable "BUMP" when shift from "P" to "R",,, feel like mild kick when trans grabs reverse.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No PCM/TCM updates.. seeing a lot of 10-11 Elantra and Touring with crappy 2-3 shift... during shift the trans bounce in/out during upshift. Standard practice been to replace trans..

I just finish install trans this morning, we have seen a bunch of Elantra the past 3yr now. Another tell tale is you may find a noticable "BUMP" when shift from "P" to "R",,, feel like mild kick when trans grabs reverse.
Hmm. Intersting. Mine has a VERY rough 1-2 if it is a cooler morning. 2nd to 3rd is SLOW now that I think about it....

My car does make a "clunk" sometimes a bump when shifting into R or D from P or N. I asked about it just over a year ago and they were like "it's nothing."

Recommendation here would be to take it in and see what they would do?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Reset the adaptive learn while it is hot, then take off up the street righ after words.. see what happens..

We get that trans in for concerns, scan, no DTC recovered, reset adaptive learn, then go for drive again.. remember to reset when ATF at 122 F or higher, then drive right after,, I find them to slip in/out during 2-3 shift almost everytime,, order replacement trans.. warranty time for A/T in that chassis is typically less than time actually needed to replace the trans correctly, do all the diag, paperwork, and drives

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hmm. Intersting. Mine has a VERY rough 1-2 if it is a cooler morning.
As does mine. usually only the first cold shift, then OK. I just took it as nature of the beast. I know if I took it in, dealer would find "normal operation", just as they did with my brake pads.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taking her to the dealer in a few days... this morning she did a hard shift this morning. It went from 1st Gear to 3rd Gear on the shift. :/

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
You guys just took me back to four years ago when my 2004 Santa Fe just decided all on its sweet little own to downshift from 4th to 2nd at 65 MPH with absolutely no throttle application whatsoever. Dealer never found anything and it never did it again but I drove around in Shiftronic whenever I was on the highway for another month, fearful it would do it again.

That being said, I've noticed the cold 1-2 shift but only after the car has been sitting for a few days which rarely happens. Lately it has been holding on to 3rd gear and hesitating to go into 4th so I normally just do it manually. My 04 SF also liked to hold 2nd unnaturally long so I would just do the same manual gate upshift. I learned to accept it as the nature of the beast.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Unplug negative battery cable for about 30 minutes to reset adaptive learning.

I also have the rough first shift when cold issue. Don't care though since its guaranteed for 100K

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Anyone have a link to instructions on resetting the Adaptive Learn function???

Thanks.
Hyundai says use GDS to plug in and reset adaptive learn.. disconnect of battery cable is procedure for pre-2005 models.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What is GDS???
PC based diagnostic program that we use since 2005?? in place of the old Hi Scan scan tool.. with GDS, we receive random updates from Hyundai via internet, to include update programs for vehicle systems, complete module scan ability for related system DTC, reset various subsytems, change user settings on car, watch various module input/output, program RKE/Smartkey, actuation tests, flight record, register TPMS sensors to module, find out you changed a TPMS sensor after you show up from tire store with TPMS lit up, and I print ID's that registered to module, then read ID's at wheels and find 1 or more that not match what in module memory, then that not a wrranty problem.. also reset adaptive learn for auto trans..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Thanks for posting that pdf, sbr711.

The black market for Hyundai service information has officially begun :cool:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yay, thanks for black markets and underground movements!
I ainta making any money here.. I suppose you all could make a fund to buy me a new digital camera that take SD card so I can resume posting service dept pics on the various sub-forum here on the site :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts