Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 constructed in 2006 that has 91000 miles on it. I just learned from the hyundai dealer that my flywheel is bad and that I need to change my flywheel and transmission for $2500. This suspiciously looks like a manufacturer defect to me.

Sadly my car was used although it was bought at the Hyundai dealership and all services have been done there on time as required by Hyundai. This means the warranty only covers 5yr/50000 miles which I just learned now that I am having transmission issues and was never told when I actually bought the car.

At this point, I am inclined to go get a new/used car with the $2500 which obviously will not be a Hyundai this time.

1) Did Hyundai always have this small print that used car are only covered up to 5yrs/50000 miles? I was wondering if they implemented this after I bought my car.

2) I was wondering if anybody else is starting to have this issue with their cars that are similar to mine. If you are, you will notice a loud rattling noise when the engine is idling or at low speed.

Thanks,
Amish

·
22,793 Posts
Wait a minute. Did you buy the car new? And, you're under 10 years of ownership, yes? And under 100,000 miles on the clock, yes? If so, it's my understanding that this would be a warranted item. Unless they're claiming a clutch/flywheel as "normal wear and tear." As far back as I can remember in the past decade, Hyundai has bragged about its "10 year/100K power train warranty."

Someone on here will know.

·
Registered
461 Posts
He said it was 'used' =-)

Yes fine print was always there Amish, just like any other manufacturer.
Writing of a entire car line because of a problem at 91,000 miles is silly.
You will eventually run out of brands to buy, everything eventually has a failure.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What is reason for flywheel replace ?

Automatic or manual trans ?

What is up with trans ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's too bad that the 5yr/50000 miles have always been there. I feel that it's a little unfair to drop the warranty by 50% for used car even though it was certified by the Hyundai service department.

Its true that their new cars might be better but I feel a little cheated so I will buy a different brand for my next car. My previous 1993 honda accord went to 150000+ miles before something really bad happened that made it completely not drivable and even then it was due to outside rust on the exhaust and not internal powertrain parts.

Anyways It's an automatic transmission. The service guy did not say what was wrong with the transmission per se. Just that both flywheel and transmission needs to be replaced to make the noise go away.

I talked to some other repair place and they mentioned that maybe the transmission has a defect that causes the flywheel to worn out quicker than it should. Not sure if this is true. I do not understand much about car mechanics per se.

Amish

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Is this the sound ?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that definitely looks like the problem I am having.

I contacted Hyundai to complain about it and they told me that "Certified Used Car" still have the 10yr/100000 miles warranty but my car was not a Cerfitified Used Car. This was a shock because I bought the used car at one of the main Hyundai dealer around here: Fuccillo Hyundai, Greece NY. I would have assumed it's Certified Used since it came from a dealer. I probably have to go dig into my purchase record and contact the guy that sold me the car to determine what's going on here.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
That's too bad that the 5yr/50000 miles have always been there. I feel that it's a little unfair to drop the warranty by 50% for used car even though it was certified by the Hyundai service department.

Its true that their new cars might be better but I feel a little cheated so I will buy a different brand for my next car. My previous 1993 honda accord went to 150000+ miles before something really bad happened that made it completely not drivable and even then it was due to outside rust on the exhaust and not internal powertrain parts.

Anyways It's an automatic transmission. The service guy did not say what was wrong with the transmission per se. Just that both flywheel and transmission needs to be replaced to make the noise go away.

I talked to some other repair place and they mentioned that maybe the transmission has a defect that causes the flywheel to worn out quicker than it should. Not sure if this is true. I do not understand much about car mechanics per se.

Amish
It's unfortunate that you did not know you were not getting 100k warranty when buying used but this is the norm with all cars. the 5 year 60k is still better then most new car warrantys. Honda's dont last that long anymore with out issues a few years back the accord would eat trannys like clock work at 100k. as for the issue you are having it stinks. I had the same issue back in 2008 but it was covered. Once fixed I dint have any issue with the tranny again. that was over 90k ago. I would go to a local mechanic they usually are a great deal cheaper. Good luck with ever you decide.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
New part number is 23200-3C140 @ $139.39, add 8.5hr labor at shop rate, and I show a couple 3 dollar less than $1000 for replacement.. might add a bottle or 2 of ATF for loss with axle remove, unless drained unit first, then add 5-6qt of SP-III atf

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's unfortunate that you did not know you were not getting 100k warranty when buying used but this is the norm with all cars.
Actually, on some other car brands the full warranty is transferable. They often don't have a reduced warranty for the second owner.

To the OP-
If you really are having that problem with the flywheel, they you shouldn't need a new tranny, just a new flywheel, as SBR noted.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The fact that you are buying a Toyota from a Toyota dealership or a Hyundai from a Hyundai dealership does not mean that the car is certified...

Yeah that definitely looks like the problem I am having.

I contacted Hyundai to complain about it and they told me that "Certified Used Car" still have the 10yr/100000 miles warranty but my car was not a Cerfitified Used Car. This was a shock because I bought the used car at one of the main Hyundai dealer around here: Fuccillo Hyundai, Greece NY. I would have assumed it's Certified Used since it came from a dealer. I probably have to go dig into my purchase record and contact the guy that sold me the car to determine what's going on here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts