Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the adaptive learning function of our older cars? My 2000 sonata 2.5 has never shifted at full throttle since ive owned it. The car will only rev to around 5k rpm and wont shift unless you let off the gas. Had a po500 for speed sensor so i replaced ut but no change. Replaced the output sensor ( i think thats the one under the shift linkage) and the car will now rev and shift properly but after driving it a little it goes back to not shifting.

I drove the car awhile to make sure transmission fluid is at operating temperature to exclude that as an issue , pulled battery and exact same thing.

I had a brand new transmission installed through the hyundai dealership and its still happening so i know its not a transmission issue.

Ive been driving it for 5 years like this because normal driving is fine, its only those highway ramp situations where you have to accelerate and the car drops a gear then you have to let off and try to get back on it that causes some difficult situations.

I know i dont see many of this style sonata in the md/dc/va area on the road but i have essentially replaced every item on this car and it runs and drives like new. I even get the stock mpg that they had from factory.

So anyone with experience with this adaptive learning stuff please chime in, its the last issue with the car that keeps her from being new...to me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Drive it around and drive how you would normally drive. I've read the manuals for this transmission. The learning kind of works both ways for you and the transmission. Don't drive aggressively but say more spirited driving downshift to accelerate and just work your gears you don't have to beat on it though. These transmissions have features that only present themselves if your driving style promotes them.
Like if your going downhill and more often than not you hit the breaks instead of the gas, it is observed and it will shift you from 4th to 3rd for the engine braking

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the tsb on the issue and can see how what your saying would have an affect but within 5 to 10 minutes of driving after resetting battery, the car goes back to only going to 5k rpm and wont shift at full throttle like when trying to pass or enter highway. It also throws the po500 speed sensor code.

I have searched for the past 5 years on speed sensors, input/sensors and not one person mentions this issue?

I replaced fuel filter because i saw many makes and models with this issue and the car was getting proper fuel at high rpm. The car would never shift correctly even after pulling battety cable until after replacing input sensor. The tsb says you must have hyundai go into computer system to reset values?

Ive driven with this condition for 5 years of owning the car, its hust that ive been replacing everything to new and its the last item to fix. For a 2000 sonata with 200k+ and looking like a beater, it runs and drives like new.

Just this one issue that no one has or ever had???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something i wanted to add that needs researching, occasionaly my tachometer will drop to 0 then back up. Only happened maybe 5 times since owning the car.

Someone else replaced the speed sensor for me so not sure where that one is located. Need to check the wiring and connectors.

Is the speed sensor near the input and output sensors?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

See that red cap that sits above the red cap inserted into where the driveshaft splines insert into the diff. That the speed sensor location

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What's the redline ? 6500RPM

I would expect if you are at WOT the shift could be as high 6000RPM

I've seen a graph reporting max speeds in each ratio,

1. 50mph 6400RPM,
2. 91mph 6400RPM
3 130mph 5900rpm (theorectical)
4 130mph 4500rpm (theorectical)

The box is a Mits design and I've had a 6G74 with a 4 speed and it would not upshift at full throttle until it got almost on the redline, I think in tiptronic mode I could get higher(waste of time)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the picture!

What mine is doing is it hits are 5k rpm and stops accelerating, just screams at 5k until i left off the gas to 75% or so and it will upshift.

Replaced input sensor and if i unhook the battery and reset, it will now run to 65k beautifully and shift. After a few minutes of driving, it goes back to the 5k problem until unhook battery again. Going to look at wires on speed sensor tomorrow.

Let me ask, the connector that goes to the input sensor doesnt clip on, just slips on and pulls off easy, could that be the problem and would it throw a po500 speed sensor code instead of the po715 input sensor code?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I don't know a lot of the fault codes or how they trigger specifically but for sure that connector should connect and be positively engaged with a retaining clip of some sort. Lot of vibration I expect could work loose. I've had an input sensor go on my i30 which is a newer gen trans and that will trigger the trans failsafe and go to 3rd gear with manual shift to 2 available. No first or fourth, no electronic control.

I'd expect something similar for this box and I guess if the speed sensor fails it may failsafe to a default shift pattern or use other sensors as a fallback. I'd have to read a manual to know, I could be talking rubbish;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the picture!

What mine is doing is it hits are 5k rpm and stops accelerating, just screams at 5k until i left off the gas to 75% or so and it will upshift.

Replaced input sensor and if i unhook the battery and reset, it will now run to 65k beautifully and shift. After a few minutes of driving, it goes back to the 5k problem until unhook

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I had issues with my I30 doing some wonderful weird things and disconnecting the battery did nothing. I found my scantool had a transmission reset function. That fixed it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Charlescrown, was yours an older transmission like mine? I looked at wiring and it looks like they are fine but the way its acting im thinking wiring?

If i reset battery, transmission operates like it should but the after driving a bit it goes back to not shifting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Solved! Crankshaft sensor also sensor sends information that operates tachometer as well as transmission operation. Loose connection on crankshaft sensor fixed the issue. Fyi

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Strange. Usually the crank sensor will cut the engine and have no relationship with revs. Good to see you fixed it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After 5 years of searching and trying different things, i was looking into wheel speed/abs sensors and somehow came across mention of the crankshaft sensor. Started searching that and found many websites that mentioned tgat it sends information to the pcm and or tcm and reports rpms to help with shifts?

5 years and finally shes back. Hyundai installed a new transmission and it didnt change, i was so lost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts