Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slow leak in the transfer case of my 2002 Sana fa 4x4 with 71k on the clock. Every so often I get a little smell of oil burning off the exhaust. The dealer wants about $800 to remove and reseal the case.
Does anyone know of an additive I can put in the case to seal it without removing it?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have a slow leak in the transfer case of my 2002 Sana fa 4x4 with 71k on the clock. Every so often I get a little smell of oil burning off the exhaust. The dealer wants about $800 to remove and reseal the case.
Does anyone know of an additive I can put in the case to seal it without removing it?
No, not that I know of. But I build a half round shield made of thin sheet metal that I installed. The reason you get that smell is the leak leaks onto the drive shaft and gets flung off. It hits the muffler and hence the smell. I've installed a shield around the drive shaft so that any oil hits that shield and then drops to the ground. I would have had Hyundai fix it(for around $1000, but they wouldn't guarantee the fix up front and said it might need a new transfer case($4000). I just didn't want to take the chance- so I took care of the smell and fill it up twice a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone hear of adding Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer to seal leaks in gear boxes? They mention it on their sight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts