Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went and put it up on the hoist to start replacing the transmission fluids. I should have taken a look at what I had for new stuff before I started. Not to mention check my diagrams again as it's been a few months (and only about 1000 kms) since I decided I was going to change all the fluids.

Started following the step-by-step guide someone posted here and all was going pretty well...until I realized I had only 6 litres of new fluid to replace the 11 litres req'd.
All was not lost as I had only drained about 5 litres (hadn't gotten as far as draining the sump, refilling and pumping new fluid in to replace the old). Sucks as now I will have to do the entire procedure over again to do a complete flush. BTW, I live 700 kms away from the nearest dealer or source of ATF which is why I have to finish what I started today. Good news is at 60,000 kms (40,000 miles), the fluid still had a red colour to it.

Anyway - perhaps a blessing in disguise but the way I realized that I didn't have enough fluid was because when I went to drain the sump, I grabbed the 24mm socket as advised and put it to the only obvious 24 mm bolt that was there. As soon as I realized that the fluid coming out in no way resembled tranny fluid, I stuck the drain bolt back in. Lost about a litre. Evidently, I was drainign the transfer case oil. No biggie, I have a gallon of new stuff here, I just don't know where to put it! Help!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (PoMansAWD @ May 8 2010, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321077
Glad it worked for you! Piece of cake once you do it once. My 2008 is purring like a kitten. That AWD was an absolute godsend this past winter.

Joel
To say the fill plug is 'awkward' is the understatement of the century.

I just happened to have the right size hex nut and I also managed to uncover the oddest length 3/8 drive ratchet extension i have ever seen...approx 12 inches long. Managed to get the socket hex head and the extension in by going above the guards and beside the oil pan; reaching right out ot the rim. Without my hoist and that 'unused' extension, I would have never got access to the plug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.