Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of a transfer case oil change. I had seen minor leaking on the front shaft area and decided to change oil since it had 82k plus miles on it. There is suppose to be 27.2 ounces of oil in the transfer case and I only got out 17. So I guess it had been leaking for some time. The oil was very dark looking and the magnet had a lot of gunk and metal on it. So if any of you have not looked at your transfer case in a long time, I'd take a look. The last time I had done a transfer case dump was at 30K and I hadn't done anything to it in the last 52k miles. It takes a 10MM allen wrench(for the fill) and a 24MM socket for the drain bolt. I had some old tubing that fit the inside of my funnel. I'll try and do my differential sometime today if I get the time. From what I've been reading on this and other sites, the transfer case is a big cause of putting the old santys to rest.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
QUOTE (johnaauld @ Oct 29 2010, 02:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367350
I'm in the middle of a transfer case oil change. I had seen minor leaking on the front shaft area and decided to change oil since it had 82k plus miles on it. There is suppose to be 27.2 ounces of oil in the transfer case and I only got out 17. So I guess it had been leaking for some time. The oil was very dark looking and the magnet had a lot of gunk and metal on it. So if any of you have not looked at your transfer case in a long time, I'd take a look. The last time I had done a transfer case dump was at 30K and I hadn't done anything to it in the last 52k miles. It takes a 10MM allen wrench(for the fill) and a 24MM socket for the drain bolt. I had some old tubing that fit the inside of my funnel. I'll try and do my differential sometime today if I get the time. From what I've been reading on this and other sites, the transfer case is a big cause of putting the old santys to rest.

Just a little change to the above post. I had the transfer case changed at 37k miles. I also had my timing belt changed a month ago and wondered why they didn't catch the transfer case being low at it's last inspection as they were doing the timing belt. Guess what? They check everything on the Multi-Point Inspection except(you guessed it) the transfer case!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts