Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 2.7 SF FWD. 73K The car has a worsening shudder when shifting from 1st to 2nd after it gets hot. I pulled the batt cable to run the adaptive learning, no help. The solenoid resistances check good and the fluid is fresh, I even threw in some Dr Tranny, no help. No codes. Looks like a tranny change. I can get one at a junkyard for $400 vs 2K for a rebuild. Has anyone swapped a tranny in one of these? Anything I need to look out for?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is a trans program update for that era, go have GDS installed, and hit the ECU UPGRADE button, see if anything pops up, may be engine program available too.

Putting a trans in 1 is noy hard, done many a Santa Fe 2.4, 2.7, 3.5 2WD and AWD trans over the last 7yr... best done a rack, need a way to support engine, and a trans jack..

Take your chances with the $400 trans, unknown history or issues/maintain by previous owner... Re-man at Hyundai will come from Hyundai contracted facility with all the latest upgrades installed..

Don't forget to flush the cooler when new trans goes in, and use only SP-III ATF (00232-19012) from Hyundai or Kia dealer

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is GDS? From what I see on the TSB's mine is post upgrade due to build date. Also, do these trannys have issues like Chrysler minivans? I'd never put in a used one of those because they are crap. I'd like to do the job in the garage and will use a chain and padded 2/4 across the fenders to support the engine.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
GDS = Global Diagnostic System, laptop with all my diagnostic functons, programs, and info, along with a Vehicle Comm Interface module.

I do not know anything about Chrysler trans, other than they is supposed junk new.

This should be the trans info, verify before order : 00268-39761 - REMAN ATM ASSY $1629.03

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I dove in head first and rebuilt the trans myself. Once you get your head around the fact that the subrfame HAS to come out, it's not so bad. The kit, torque converter, ATSG manual, sealant and transgel from TransStar in Memphis came to @ $400. Throw in @ $80 worth of fluid and brake cleaner. I made compression tools for the clutch packs from threaded rod, wood, and PVC fittings. Not hard to rebuild and it runs great now. BTW, the only thing that looked bad was that the valve body and accumulators has some gunk and water in them.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts