Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the transaxle ready to drop out but the subframe is in the way. I am unsure as to exactly what to do. I read that I am supposed to remove the mounting bolts and support the subframe, but what is the point of removing the bolts if the subframe isnt going to move.

The transaxle and engine will seperate so i did the slave cylinder bolt thing right.

2001 Hyundai Elantra Manual 5sp.

thanks in advance car mechanic gurus

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Remove the subframe from chassis, then hang (support) the engine, then remove the trans... helps to lower the engine so trans will pass under frame rail with plenty of room.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
No, you remove the front to back crossmember with the two engine mounts. You can put a jack under the oil pan to support the engine if you don't have an engine hoist.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
No, you remove the front to back crossmember with the two engine mounts. You can put a jack under the oil pan to support the engine if you don't have an engine hoist.

2001 Elantra as called out if fella' info is an XD,, XD uses full perimeter square subframe

RD elantra like your 1999 has that member that has 2 roll stop mount at bellhousing, front end bolted to lower radiator support, other end to floor pan

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up sbr711. So I researched a little and found this. 2001 01 Hyundai Elantra Front SUB Frame Engine Motor Craddle 2 0L 4 Cylinder OEM | eBay

I am assuming I have to remove this piece.
Yep.. leave as much on it as possible and still take away from chassis... DO NOT strip it bare as seen in the E-Bay pic..

Frame and arms stay, roll mount at radiator side stays with frame, slide the overflow bottle off the mount ear, unbolt the P/S return tube, unbolt P/S pressure line from mount above sway bar bush, remove 4 steering rack bolt from frame, tie up rack to hold it up a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts