Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SITUATION:

2001 2.7L 4WD Automatic Santa Fe in shop now, and the mechs tell me I need a new transfer case....

BUT

The SYMPTOMS witnessed before make me think something was going wrong int he transmission. All began after the dealer did a transaxil flush a few months ago.
Since then I've noticed the acceleration between 2 and 3 would stick, it would rev up and up until I took my foot off the gas for a sec then it would fall in gear.

A month or so ago, i began to notice jumps when going into reverse. over the past month, the reverse issue got worse.

in the last week, whenever I went into reverse, with foot on the brake, there would be no movement in the engine/trans. as i applied the gas slowly, something would hammer or slam into place. CLUNK! and it would work from there.

On the day the car blew at an intersection, the reverse 'pauses' were getting longer each time I reversed and the slamming got louder. At the intersection, the light turned green, I was in drive, i accelerated and BANG. The engine rev'ed but did not move.

So
are these symptoms sound like something a Transfer case would be doing, or is it a Trannie problem like I suspect.

And also, if he does the whole $2000+ Tran case job, and the we find that it was not the problem in the first place (like gears still jump) will I have to pay for their misdiagnoses? and pay more for a new trannie to?

Thanks to ANYONE for your speedy help.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Codes, trans fluid condition, fluid level correct ?

Slamming in any gear is not ndicative of transfer case, but the transfer cases are know problem for leak, so make sure you kepp it full and changed periodically, as new transfer will run upward of $4500 (US) installed..

Transmission reman in box average is $1600 (US), add labor, cooler flush, ATF per Hyundai repair rules.

Pics of Accent trans in box -

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Sep 23 2010, 07:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358345
Codes, trans fluid condition, fluid level correct ?

Slamming in any gear is not indicative of transfer case, but the transfer cases are know problem for leak, so make sure you kepp it full and changed periodically, as new transfer will run upward of $4500 (US) installed..

Transmission reman in box average is $1600 (US), add labor, cooler flush, ATF per Hyundai repair rules.

Pics of Accent trans in box -

Codes? I bought the car used from a dealer just under 2 years ago. in Nov 2008. I have been researchign and have discovered THREE TSBs (Service Bulletin) that occured before my purchase that describe exactly what I was experiencing. Again, The car is @ the dealer, and i want to tell them not to dig in the transfer case, because the symptoms reflect a Trans issue. Now that I found the TSBs I have an ever greater suspicion that these symptoms are NOT the Transfer Case ($4500) but the Trannie ($1600) .. I need to know if I should call off the transfer case repair. The are guessing @ it I Think.

Listed below are those TSBs

Drive Train: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Service Bulletin Number: 740009
NHTSA Number: 10022618
Model Years Affected: 2001
Date of Bulletin: 09/2007

Bulletin Summary: AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE HARSH AND/OR DELAYED ENGAGEMENT INTO DRIVE OR REVERSE.
Drive Train: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)
Service Bulletin Number: 740016
NHTSA Number: 10023646
Date of Bulletin: 01/2008

Bulletin Summary: AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0715, P0716, P0717, P07120, P0721 AND P0722.
Service Bulletin Number: TSB0740010
NHTSA Number: 10025083
Date of Bulletin: 07/2008

Bulletin Summary: AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE HARSH AND/OR DELAYED UPSHIFT OR DOWNSHIFT - GDS ANALYSIS.

ALSO
Fluid was relaced in a TranAxil Fluid Flush done a few months ago. I checked the level after it blew @ the intersection and it was a quarter inch ABOVE the hot level.
Should this be a hint, clue, sign.. did the TransAxil Flush guy end up overfilling the trans? is a quarter-inch over HOT too much?

by "known problem for leak" do you mean there was a recall or that is just kinda out there that they leak.. and tough luck for me for not knowing that....

thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (moonsocket @ Sep 23 2010, 10:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358377
Codes?
Codes,, YES, has it been scanned to see what if any malfuntion may have been detected by input/outputs to/from TCM... without that to start, you just watering the wind.

I bought the car used from a dealer just under 2 years ago. in Nov 2008. I have been researchign and have discovered THREE TSBs (Service Bulletin) that occured before my purchase that describe exactly what I was experiencing.
3 ?? You should see the list of TSB on my dealer login to HMASERVICE, I gots 85 to choose from, spinning your wheels at NHTSA

Again, The car is @ the dealer, and i want to tell them not to dig in the transfer case, because the symptoms reflect a Trans issue. Now that I found the TSBs I have an ever greater suspicion that these symptoms are NOT the Transfer Case ($4500) but the Trannie ($1600) .. I need to know if I should call off the transfer case repair. The are guessing @ it I Think.

Listed below are those TSBs

Drive Train: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Service Bulletin Number: 740009
NHTSA Number: 10022618
Date of Bulletin: 09/2007
How to use GDS to flight record solemoid data and read it

Bulletin Summary: AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE HARSH AND/OR DELAYED ENGAGEMENT INTO DRIVE OR REVERSE.
Service Bulletin Number: 740016
NHTSA Number: 10023646
Date of Bulletin: 01/2008
Updated to 09-40-016 --> AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0715, P0716, P0717, P0720, P0721 & P0722 (how to diagnose)

Service Bulletin Number: TSB0740010
NHTSA Number: 10025083
Date of Bulletin: 07/2008
How to record data from TCM to solenoid and read said data

ALSO
Fluid was relaced in a TranAxil Fluid Flush done a few months ago. I checked the level after it blew @ the intersection and it was a quarter inch ABOVE the hot level.
Should this be a hint, clue, sign.. did the TransAxil Flush guy end up overfilling the trans? is a quarter-inch over HOT too much?

Correct word for the transmission is "transaxle", but it is a transmission,,, where was this service performed ? Did they use the specified Hyundai/Kia SP-III transmission fluid ?

by "known problem for leak" do you mean there was a recall or that is just kinda out there that they leak.. and tough luck for me for not knowing that....
TSB for how to reseal the various leaks of the transfer case, and parts required... majority were the side cover, take unit out, reseal side cover, and install all new bolts (10 or 11 on the side), some leaked at the pinion holder o-ring, replace o-ring and new bolts, big multi page for all the leaks the unit could have,,, been updated, moved/listed in the Tucson bulletins because Tucson was the new kid, to be included in the revised bulletin..
thanks for all your help.
The 2.7 Santa Fe has about 3-5 engine and transmission updates that I would do to make sure the modules are current in their ROM ID's, reset adaptive value when transmission oil is over 129 degree (F), then take off with the adaptive learn process an run from there, let you drive under your conditions if all was well after my work and initial drive.. if it acts up beyond that, then I would open a case with assist, and get "you need trans replace",, get authorization from DPSM if it was a warranty replace, order trans and replace it...... but everything needs to be up to date.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts