Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the transmission fluid drain/fill on my 2012 Sonata (YF generation) a few times over the years. Has anyone done it on the LF? Is it the same transmission? I believe the fluid is a newer spec...any other changes?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
YF transmissions,from what others have reported,had a 24 mm fill plug(top of trans).I can confirm that LF transmissions have a 22 mm fill plug. Guess they are going for weight savings...:smile:The side plug also looks a little different,other than that,its basically the same trans.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The trans filter is not serviceable, so keep the fluid clean. If the filter is clogged then it's 6 hours labor

6hrs,, that just simple trans in & out... Warranty trans replace is almost 4hr,,, customer pay be almost double,, and we not allowed to split case of auto trans at dealer level

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know how long these transmissions last if you never touch the fluid? I've done the fluid every 40K on my 2012, it's got 163K on it.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
6hrs,, that just simple trans in & out... Warranty trans replace is almost 4hr,,, customer pay be almost double,, and we not allowed to split case of auto trans at dealer level
sbr711 , I know you repair these but if it was your Hyundai what would you do for trans fluid change intervals?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've heard that at 60k miles was a good interval to change the fluid at but would love to know if it needs to be done sooner. I'm not sure how i feel about "lifetime fluid". Worst comes to worse it can't hurt to change the fluid sooner than later.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
sbr711 , I know you repair these but if it was your Hyundai what would you do for trans fluid change intervals?
60 be a fair interval. Clean ATF wont varnish friction discs & brakes for gear sets, or other internal parts..

5-6 bottle of new ATF is cheap compared to a $1700 Hyundai Re-Man, maybe 6-7hr shop rate labor, ATF and can of cooler wash if you had to pay for it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts