Hyundai Forums banner

Trans change/Flush

4K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  SF Time 
#1 ·
Looking to get mine done soon, im at approx 110000 KM, dealer service shows $299 which is a "flush" i've been hearing to avoid a flush and do just change? for those who have had this done already, when did you do it and where did you go? Dealer is showing interval at 96K.
Thanks

#2 ·
I was like you, I've always heard to avoid the flush because it can cause problems. We went ahead and had it done at the dealer (I don't remember the cost) but we haven't had any issues since it's been done. If I remember right we had it done at about 60,000 - 70,000 miles. We have about 95,000 on it now.

#4 ·
Drain and refill only. Will need to do a few times to exchange most of the fluid.

Have never done mine since last time I messed with trans fluid in a Hyundai automatic it started shifting funky and had to be replaced

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
On my 2007 3.3L AWD 5sp. automatic, I drained and filled at 150,000km, 250,000km, 320,000km.

I am now at 330,000km and planning next drain and fill at 370,000km or 50,000km from last one.

The fluid is a light pink colour and looks good.

The information I have says the transmission capacity is 10.9L and a drain and fill is 6L, meaning 55% changed.

#7 · (Edited)
On my 2007 3.3L AWD 5sp. automatic, I drained and filled at 150,000km, 250,000km, 320,000km.

I am now at 330,000km and planning next drain and fill at 370,000km or 50,000km from last one.

The fluid is a light pink colour and looks good.

The information I have says the transmission capacity is 10.9L and a drain and fill is 6L, meaning 55% changed.
thx, wow 330! i think im going to get it done next week , not at dealer but Mister Transmission as its cheaper, Hyundai rec a change/flush at 96K , im just over now at 115, so my fluid should be ok. From what im reading, the "older" the fluid, ie if you haven't done it around 96K, and decided to do it at 200K lets say, you might want to avoid the flush aspect, but if you're at or around manufacture (96K) you should be fine.

#10 ·
"Flush", if I understand it correctly, is the transfer or exchange of fluid and not literally a flush. So "debris" will (or should) only be in the pan and on the magnetic plug. I do the drain and fill every 2 yrs using MaxLife Synthetic. No, this is not me...it's Scotty!

#12 ·
Nothing wrong with leaving some old fluid behind if it's still in decent shape.
I plan to do the first D&F at 30k miles, to get out break-in debris.
Then every 60k after that.

Reactions: SF Time
#16 ·
A quick question. The exchange of fluid while the engine is running, the trans pumps the fluid out of the cooling line, but on the "old" style trans with a fill tube we could pour ATF in to keep fluid in the system and when changing to a red color stop. How do you do this with the "closed" system and no fill tube?

#17 ·
They did away with the tube, there is no difference...you're not getting pressure because it is "so-called" closed.
If you're using the 2-tubes from the cooler, it is important not to get any air into the system.

#20 · (Edited)
They did away with the tube, there is no difference...you're not getting pressure because it is "so-called" closed. If you're using the 2-tubes from the cooler, it is important not to get any air into the system.
I know they did away with the tube, that is my question, and the 2 cooling tubes, am I to assume one tube will push the fluid out and the other will suck it in from a reservoir of new fluid? I knew on would expell the fluid, but didn't realize the other line would create suction????????

there is a fill plug on the top of the transmission, this link talks about using the dip stick but for newer transmission you need a funnel with a flexible tube, also speaks of pros and cons of flushing
Not certain if this was an answer for my question, but the fill hole at the top is small and ATF can't be "injected" fast enough to keep the fluid full. I always use the check hole to put fluid back in, faster, but certainly can't try and pour fluid in there with the car running.

I'm thinking about adding fluid with the car running, but maybe they're saying, start the car and let the fluid pump out, then shut it off, something I wouldn't want to try.

Oh well, 6AM, time for breakfast. Have a great day and be safe.

#18 ·
there is a fill plug on the top of the transmission, this link talks about using the dip stick but for newer transmission you need a funnel with a flexible tube, also speaks of pros and cons of flushing

#19 ·
Advice for DIYers there is an ATF injection device sold at WalMart that fits perfectly in the fill hole and connects to the quart bottles of atf or can be used with a funnel.

Less than 10 bucks iirc.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
...they can do drop pan...they will clean screen etc
If they told you this, they have no idea what they are working on! It has a side cover and an internal filter that can't be changed unless you pull the tran.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.