Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get mine done soon, im at approx 110000 KM, dealer service shows $299 which is a "flush" i've been hearing to avoid a flush and do just change? for those who have had this done already, when did you do it and where did you go? Dealer is showing interval at 96K.
Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
I was like you, I've always heard to avoid the flush because it can cause problems. We went ahead and had it done at the dealer (I don't remember the cost) but we haven't had any issues since it's been done. If I remember right we had it done at about 60,000 - 70,000 miles. We have about 95,000 on it now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was like you, I've always heard to avoid the flush because it can cause problems. We went ahead and had it done at the dealer (I don't remember the cost) but we haven't had any issues since it's been done. If I remember right we had it done at about 60,000 - 70,000 miles. We have about 95,000 on it now.

ok thx for the reply, im just getting a few other quotes from other shops (Mister Transmission etc)

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,253 Posts
Drain and refill only. Will need to do a few times to exchange most of the fluid.

Have never done mine since last time I messed with trans fluid in a Hyundai automatic it started shifting funky and had to be replaced

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heard back from Mister Transmission, about $100 cheaper vs dealer, no surprise there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
On my 2007 3.3L AWD 5sp. automatic, I drained and filled at 150,000km, 250,000km, 320,000km.

I am now at 330,000km and planning next drain and fill at 370,000km or 50,000km from last one.

The fluid is a light pink colour and looks good.

The information I have says the transmission capacity is 10.9L and a drain and fill is 6L, meaning 55% changed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On my 2007 3.3L AWD 5sp. automatic, I drained and filled at 150,000km, 250,000km, 320,000km.

I am now at 330,000km and planning next drain and fill at 370,000km or 50,000km from last one.

The fluid is a light pink colour and looks good.

The information I have says the transmission capacity is 10.9L and a drain and fill is 6L, meaning 55% changed.
thx, wow 330! i think im going to get it done next week , not at dealer but Mister Transmission as its cheaper, Hyundai rec a change/flush at 96K , im just over now at 115, so my fluid should be ok. From what im reading, the "older" the fluid, ie if you haven't done it around 96K, and decided to do it at 200K lets say, you might want to avoid the flush aspect, but if you're at or around manufacture (96K) you should be fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
thx, wow 330! i think im going to get it done next week , not at dealer but Mister Transmission as its cheaper, Hyundai rec a change/flush at 96K , im just over now at 115, so my fluid should be ok. From what im reading, the "older" the fluid, ie if you haven't done it around 96K, and decided to do it at 200K lets say, you might want to avoid the flush aspect, but if you're at or around manufacture (96K) you should be fine.
I would not recommend a flush.

Just do a drain and fill. If your recommended first drain/fill is 96,000km, you should be fine at 115,000km.

My recommended first drain/fill was at 160,000km, which is why I did it at 150,000km.

I would however recommend shortening the drain/fill to 50,000km for the future.

That is the schedule that I am using now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not recommend a flush.

Just do a drain and fill. If your recommended first drain/fill is 96,000km, you should be fine at 115,000km.

My recommended first drain/fill was at 160,000km, which is why I did it at 150,000km.

I would however recommend shortening the drain/fill to 50,000km for the future.

That is the schedule that I am using now.
ok, im on the fence re flush or not, dealer says yes, Mister Trans also a yes, of course they want to make $ , the one aspect re not doing a flush is you dont get "all" of the fluid out, only half if that. I see the logic on both sides, - doing flush get a FULL change of fluid, and removes all all the contaminate and improved shifting, while on the neg side doing a flush could dislodge debris and may get "trapped" etc. ..

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
"Flush", if I understand it correctly, is the transfer or exchange of fluid and not literally a flush. So "debris" will (or should) only be in the pan and on the magnetic plug. I do the drain and fill every 2 yrs using MaxLife Synthetic. No, this is not me...it's Scotty!

·
Registered
308 Posts
ok, im on the fence re flush or not, dealer says yes ...
KGIS (the Kia service manual) for my Kia Forte gives no mention anywhere to flush, and only contains the procedure for drain-and-fill. Service manuals come directly from the automakers, and document how they want their vehicles to be serviced. Hyundai/Kia frequently uses the exact same service information for many parts of common/shared components, such as their transmissions and engines. So I would expect that the Hyundai service manual doc for your vehicle also only lists drain-and-fill.

You might want to ask your service department to show you the reference to transmission flushing in the Hyundai service manual (which BTW is not the same thing as a dealership recommended service schedule). But as always, your vehicle, your choice.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Nothing wrong with leaving some old fluid behind if it's still in decent shape.
I plan to do the first D&F at 30k miles, to get out break-in debris.
Then every 60k after that.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
ok, im on the fence re flush or not, dealer says yes, Mister Trans also a yes, of course they want to make $ , the one aspect re not doing a flush is you dont get "all" of the fluid out, only half if that. I see the logic on both sides, - doing flush get a FULL change of fluid, and removes all all the contaminate and improved shifting, while on the neg side doing a flush could dislodge debris and may get "trapped" etc. ..
nothing wrong with a flush if it's done correctly and the tranny hasn't been neglected for so many miles that there might be a lot of accumulated crud. In the past on cars I've use the tranny cooler lines to flush the old fluid with the tranny pump providing the push. This is a bit more efficient from a standpoint of less fluid used as well as getting the torque converter drained . Just make sure it's a shop with a soild reputation.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
nothing wrong with a flush if it's done correctly and the tranny hasn't been neglected for so many miles that there might be a lot of accumulated crud. In the past on cars I've use the tranny cooler lines to flush the old fluid with the tranny pump providing the push. This is a bit more efficient from a standpoint of less fluid used as well as getting the torque converter drained . Just make sure it's a shop with a soild reputation.
100% , how I do all mine. The fluid is flowing through these lines anyway, and all you're doing is a fluid exchange using the trans pump.

As an example , going back tp 2009 era, 4 speed A4CF1/2 trans found in Elantra, my manual ( Euro) most definitely talks about pumping the fluid out and exchanging it via removal of the cooler liners.

But when I read the next gen 6 spd it does not, it talks about drain and adding 5 lts the level check

I do the same to my 6spd as I do to the older 4 and 5 spds I have

·
Registered
909 Posts
A quick question. The exchange of fluid while the engine is running, the trans pumps the fluid out of the cooling line, but on the "old" style trans with a fill tube we could pour ATF in to keep fluid in the system and when changing to a red color stop. How do you do this with the "closed" system and no fill tube?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
They did away with the tube, there is no difference...you're not getting pressure because it is "so-called" closed.
If you're using the 2-tubes from the cooler, it is important not to get any air into the system.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
there is a fill plug on the top of the transmission, this link talks about using the dip stick but for newer transmission you need a funnel with a flexible tube, also speaks of pros and cons of flushing

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,253 Posts
Advice for DIYers there is an ATF injection device sold at WalMart that fits perfectly in the fill hole and connects to the quart bottles of atf or can be used with a funnel.

Less than 10 bucks iirc.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
They did away with the tube, there is no difference...you're not getting pressure because it is "so-called" closed. If you're using the 2-tubes from the cooler, it is important not to get any air into the system.
I know they did away with the tube, that is my question, and the 2 cooling tubes, am I to assume one tube will push the fluid out and the other will suck it in from a reservoir of new fluid? I knew on would expell the fluid, but didn't realize the other line would create suction????????

there is a fill plug on the top of the transmission, this link talks about using the dip stick but for newer transmission you need a funnel with a flexible tube, also speaks of pros and cons of flushing
Not certain if this was an answer for my question, but the fill hole at the top is small and ATF can't be "injected" fast enough to keep the fluid full. I always use the check hole to put fluid back in, faster, but certainly can't try and pour fluid in there with the car running.

I'm thinking about adding fluid with the car running, but maybe they're saying, start the car and let the fluid pump out, then shut it off, something I wouldn't want to try.

Oh well, 6AM, time for breakfast. Have a great day and be safe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts