Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 200 elantra it had been sitting with a dead battery for a few months now has a good battery.after driving it have found out it shifts fine till the motor heats up once that happens it will not shift past 3rd if you stop at stop sign it is then stuck in 2nd have to turn car off and back on it will then shift from low but still only gong to 3rd. any thoughts. took to auto parts had it hooked up on computer and it showed 3rd and 4th gear as improper gear ratio

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
now its doing this

now when u first start it it will go from 1,2, to drive but never to overdrive if u stop it will not go back to 1st have to turn off engine then it will start from 1st

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sounds like a solenoid acting up, but I am by no means an expert on Transmissions and have only done few types of jobs on a few. Have you dropped the pan at all to see what the condition of fluid is and if you have any particles/metal pieces in there? Also, have you tried shifting manually, 1 to 2 and back down...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st

no it wont go back manually either if i stop and put it in 1st have to turn it off. when i drive it and its going from 1st to drive it tries to go to overdrive but it just cant get there its like it goes in to od for just a split second then just stays in drive

·
Registered
548 Posts
you may have multiple issues there. More than likely anything found will be beyond DIY capacity and most mechanics. You can try to drop pan as stated earlier to see what you can see (metal, fluid, etc) but start shopping for a trustworthy trans tech. I would avoid the chain shops and try to get references and looks for corresponding reviews online. Also, good idea to get multiple opinions or even throw those ideas on the thread to see if they make sense to the other techs on here. Problem is, that transmissions are a whole other world to most mechanics. Most of us can only perform so much work on them. Diagnosing is even tougher especially site unseen

·
Registered
548 Posts
do you have a multimeter handy? must have 11+volts. check for voltage at battery...make sure all cables are tight...both ends to positive and negative. Bench checking the battery someplace like the local Advance parts store may be in order and even better for load testing

But I reread your initial post and you said you now have a good battery.... Is it new? or did you just charge it up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
battery is new. took and had it hooked up on computer and got these codes p0722 p0732 p0734 p01624

·
Registered
548 Posts
ahh...yes...all tranny codes except for P1624 which has to do with your cooling fan relay. Well looks like tons of stuff going on inside... and probably will have metal chunks stuck to bottom of trans pan. I checked and saw what 1st 2 codes mean. They both have to do with shaft input n output sensors on outside of trans. Either (internal) shafts aren't spinning at same rate or sensors are failing. You may want to check out 2 of these other links which pertain to the 3rd code mentioned. http://www.hyundai-forums.com/183-lc-2000-2005-accent/108678-p0734-1-6-transmission-issue.html
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/183-lc-2000-2005-accent/156087-p0734-transmission-problems.html -a bit more thorough... Although it pertains to Accents 99-05...there are some similarities may give a better visual
But that will only take care of some of your issue... You should also check out the Hyundai service site which can be used for free. Just register and best to use with Explorer browser for viewing purposes. http://www.hmaservice.com All the repair info you can use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k will do that. dropped the pan no shavings no chunks fluid still looks good doesnt smell burnt. could it just be bad sensors

·
Registered
548 Posts
no they aren't the same but are very similar in transmission setup. Disregard those links then, since they don't apply to your circumstances anyway -no metal in pan.

k will do that. dropped the pan no shavings no chunks fluid still looks good doesnt smell burnt. could it just be bad sensors
could be... that hyundai site should give you more insight on how to test them and where exactly they're located. I am by no means trans expert and since the things you did check sound good -then it's now beyond my knowledge. More than likely now it's up to a trans shop, I believe your issues are beyond dealer capabilities too. Most would just swap out trans IF sensors and electrical checks out to be good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have looked all over for a pic of trans assembly would u happen to know where i could find a good pic that shows every part for the tranny

·
Registered
548 Posts
Either one can be in the Elantra...F4A32 or A4BF3.... there should be identifying digits... yet another site states it's A4BF1.... but looking at the numbers I gave you so far, it shouldn't be too difficult to verify what you have. I have a couple of the breakdowns attached, but if you find it's yet a different trans, post the number and I will try to find it for you. Have you checked out the service site yet? They have good detail in how to disassemble and etc....

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok put new input out put sensor that didn't help. Dropped trans pan again just check again. Found a sensor that one end sets in tranny fluid when I unplugged that it will shift fine but wil not shift into over drive when I plug it back up does same ol thing of trying to shift into OD but shifts right back out them won't down shift. Now wondering if this sensor might be my problem. When the car is cold can drive it about 15 miles shifts to all gears just fine but once hot kicks in and out of overdrive then once have to stol or slow down won't down shift till I turn the car off. About to set fire to this car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts