Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2000 Tiburon with about 130 K on the clock. Just had the timing belt replaced and changed the fluids (oil and transmission) while we were at it. The transmission is doing what so many others on here describe. It started out as having to warm up to shift into OD....after stopping and restarting of course. Then it progressed to hard shifts, taking longer to warm up I guess you could say before shifting to OD. The check engine light only came on a couple times and usually went off before I could get it scanned. The codes that were saved were usually shift solenoid and can't remember the other. Lastly, I drove to town and once back home my wife decided to go back about an hour later...now no reverse!

My question is has anyone ever rebuilt one themselves. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have a friend with a shop with a lift and everything. I've searched online for rebuild kits and found a couple anywhere from $350 up. Has anyone ever did this? The cheapest used tranny I've found is about $1300. A rebuilt one upwards of 2K. My buddy says hes never did one but I feel confident we can do it if we know all the right parts to order. Any help is greatly appreciated. And if we decide to do it I'll try to do a write up with pics as we go to help anyone else that wants to tackle it....That is if it's succesful :grin:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts