Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought a 09 sonata sport I4, with 57,000 kilometers. checked the fluid and it was kinda brown green colour, the dealer says its normal, checked the oil on other sonatas on the lot, and it was the same. I always thought the tranny fluid is red pink colour, or does hyndai use different colour fluid for tranny? BTW the car runs perfect.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Maybe I need to check mine again, but last time I did, the color was reddish-brown (smear some on a white rag or paper), and it smells "good".... When it turns brown-black and smells burnt, that's when you know it's time for a flush, and an asap one....

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ May 9 2010, 11:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321215
Maybe I need to check mine again, but last time I did, the color was reddish-brown (smear some on a white rag or paper), and it smells "good".... When it turns brown-black and smells burnt, that's when you know it's time for a flush, and an asap one....
So you like the smell? This is the first Brown Green report, although Red Green has been spoted in parts of Canada

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ May 9 2010, 07:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321272
I agree even new tranny fluid stinks and smells burned. In the old days, you could easily tell by the smell
if it was burned. That won't be a problem soon, because newer transmissions are sealed.
That's what was said in the 5G forum. I don't think they are sealed. There is a drain plug, surely there must be a way to check the fluid or a low fluid sensor. Even if there is only a drain plug, the dealer probably has a simple drain plug with check valve, they take old drain plug out toss it, drain fluid, put new drain plugs on with fitting that hose hooks up to, new fluid is pumped in, when said ammount is in, disconnect hose check valve stops flow put dust cap back on.

That is my assumption. Sealed tranny's would not hold up. Reminds me of that Honda commercial years ago where they welded the hood shut trying to say how reliable the car was.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've seen the TSB that explains how the dealers are to treat the new six-speed and if I remember correctly it is set up like a manual transmission. They are not sealed but there is no dipstick. There is a drain plug and there is a fill plug in the side. If you want to check the fluid level you would remove the fill plug and the fluid should be at the level of the bottom of that plug.

Where our manual says normal service requires a fluid replacement at 105K the new six-speed calls for no fluid replacement ever. Severe service, I think, does have a replacement interval but I don't recall what it is.

The TSB is on hmaservice.com if anyone is interested.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
My old '95 Accord had the tranny fluid flushed at 80k miles, when the fluid was almost BLACK like old engine oil, and it smelled burnt. New, or still fresh tranny fluid looks clear, reddish in color, and smells like oil.....

...I don't know why the Canadian tranny fluid would look greenish. Maybe there's some POLITICAL reason behind it? :whistling:

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ May 9 2010, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321272
I agree even new tranny fluid stinks and smells burned. In the old days, you could easily tell by the smell
if it was burned. That won't be a problem soon, because newer transmissions are sealed.
Oh come on now Bob. When was the last time you smelled your Sonata Transmission Fluid, Mr." I will not change the Fluid until 105K" :bwekk:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.