Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Sorry, as this may be a long wall of text... but I really am in need of some advice.

I have a 2005 Accent GT. It has 88K miles. The tranny was replaced at 80K.

I'm the original owner.

So my problems started out around the beginning of the year. Mostly, it was the transmission. It would slam really hard when shifting. Worst, sometimes while on the freeway, it would shift on it's own, for no reason, into a lower gear and get stuck. (Happened twice and was really scary).

Along with this, a couple times I would start it up and it would rev really hard, about twice what it normally would.

Usually, with the revving, I could turn it off and back on, and it would stop. A few times I could disconnect the battery, reconnect, and it'd be fine.

As for the tranny, I could turn it off then back on and sometimes that would work. Other times after a few miles it'd work itself out.

I did take it to my local Hyundai dealership. The first few times they couldn't get any code to pop, and they couldn't simulate the issue. It was very random when it'd happen. Luckily, on the 3rd try, they did get the tranny to shift hard. They said it was a bad tranny and replaced it (free due to warranty).

Unfortunately, that hasn't gotten rid of the issue. After a few months... maybe 3K - 4K miles the issue is back. Again, it's very random.

I've had the high revving which I've had to disconnect the battery to resolve. And the tranny is slamming again.

I don't notice any other issues. No engine light (except the one time the engine was revving really high and I had to disconnect the battery to reset, then the light went off).

Sometimes I can go a month with no issues. Sometimes it'll happen back to back days.

I haven't taken it back to the dealership yet because they seem to not be able to do anything unless they can experience the issue.

My father-in-law thinks it's a computer issue. I know nothing really of cars, especially computer issues.

Could it be a computer issues? Is that something I can fix/change out as a novice?

Any other advice?

Thanks so much for reading and for any responses :)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
computer issue could be a problem, but i'm wondering if there's a sensor that is intermittently going bad. would have to be one swapped over from the first trans.

but let's talk turkey for a minute here - the dealer didn't do the job right if you're still having issues. its understandable that this happens sometimes, but really it's their problem and their responsibility to do it right. go push them around a bit. they need to do their job. its same issues, so i don't see why they need to see it again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but let's talk turkey for a minute here - the dealer didn't do the job right if you're still having issues. its understandable that this happens sometimes, but really it's their problem and their responsibility to do it right. go push them around a bit. they need to do their job. its same issues, so i don't see why they need to see it again.
Right, I agree.
So I looked at my paperwork and the new tranny was put in last Oct 2012 @ 77K miles (I was a little off in my original post).
I just fear I'll get the same crap from them... it'll run fine, which it does 90% of the time, and they'll say they can't do anything because no code pops up.
But I think I will call them and maybe drop it off tonight. I don't feel safe in the car because it has (while going 65+ on freeways) shifted down for no reason and got stuck in a lower gear. Very scary to have happen.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
well that's a bit problem these days. they know if they give you crap, most people will just give up. and that's exactly why they do it. i figure if someone wants to let them take their money so easily knowing its not right, they're just reinforcing this behaviour and screwing the next victim in line. they're saying 'you ripped me off and that's just fine by me'

its their job. make them do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
well that's a bit problem these days. they know if they give you crap, most people will just give up. and that's exactly why they do it. i figure if someone wants to let them take their money so easily knowing its not right, they're just reinforcing this behaviour and screwing the next victim in line. they're saying 'you ripped me off and that's just fine by me'

its their job. make them do it.
My issue overlaps with this a bit. I created my own thread for it. Runs fine most days. Any time of the day, usually EARLY on once I begin to drive, often times the first time I go to accellerate past 20 MPH the RPMS shoot up to 4-5k. Then it shifts with a "lurch." It may run fine for a while.

Some days I put it into drive, then it "SLAMS" forward into drive. I know it is going to be an interesting tip then. Reverse, stop, go into drive, THUD. Intermittent, no patterns other than early on in the drive (usually right at the start).

Another symptoms; driving around, 60 MPH, suddenly car moves a LITTLE then OD is off. I can hit the button off/on, and the light indicator will change. However, OD is not working. RPMS can go up to around 4 something and I can get to 50-60 MPH (don't want to push past this).

Dealership said fluid good, nothing in computer (said it measures stuff like "shift" information for gears that would find internal issues), nothing in computer (including "faults" they said may not trigger a check engine light). THE kicker; if I stop, turn car off, restart...it drives and shifts normally as if nothing was going on!!!!

I was leaning toward something that would not trigger an error. Went through like 90 normal pages then searches of transmission issues on this site. Been on other posts using general internet searches. I know something is wrong. They said they WON'T check pulse/speed sensors as a "Computer would trigger an error if they were not functioning properly." Somebody insisted on an OD bearing, others said there is the wiring to the OD button that can/will short out (could be intermittent).

Yesterday, today, it has worked. NOW, on the way home for work, it will act up and not like I am near the dealership for them to drive it right away. Warranty is up next month and I KNOW that after that, suddenly BOOM, off it will go. I am truly considering avoiding Hyundai. Also, avoiding some cars anyway. smaller engines where the timing belt will DESTROY ENGINE if it goes out is such BS. Oh, I was told that "reprogramming" the computer crap would cost money even though supposedly only Hyundai can do it. THEIR computer, THEIR updates, and CHARGE ME TO UPDATE WHAT COULD BE FACTORY ISSUE? If anyone does not notice, I am beyond fuming over this crap. Like the guy in this thread, what is with this garbage?

For myself, done with Hyundai. Maybe other stuff is okay, but for typical consumer use/vehicles, all I see is garbage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So today the dealership told me a speed sensor had gone bad and needed replaced ($350 total).

Sounds weird... why would a speed sensor cause my tranny to slam into gear and engine rev high?

Could this be the culprit, or am I just bending over for them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
$350? Wanted that to change door handle!!! See diagrams for speed sensor. I've been all over this forum, lol. They told me error codes would show sensor issues. Some disagree.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't that be covered under power train warranty?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
So I was thinking about the warranty thing and I went ahead and called Hyundai just to ask them if that was covered... AND IT WAS :)

They took all my info and created a casebook (their words) for it and are calling the dealership to refund the $300.

This is awesome... although it's frustrating the dealership charged me... it's great that Hyundai is working to make sure the warranty is respected and I don't have to pay for something covered :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts