Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I am some sort of masochist, I want to tow a 1200 lbs (max) Harbor Freight style foldable trailer with my Accent. Typical loads will be a 250 lbs trailer, 100 lbs of wooden deck and boards plus 3 canoes at about 80-100 lbs each, for a typical load more like 600-650 lbs.
Would a transmission coolr be a good idea? How about a better cooling fan or an auxiliary one? Any brand/model numbers appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well considering hyundai say never ever tow anything with an accent in the manual. However I would make sure you don't exceed the maximum weight specified by your vechicle. (I think its around 800 lbs) Please note everything counts the weight of the trailer, The load, the drivers weight and the amount of gasoline in the car it all counts to the 800 lbs. The car was only designed to haul it maximum weight you could discover all sorts or problems if you exceed it expecially brakes, wheel bearings transmission etc.

Now to actually answer your question the car already had a small transmission cooler built into the rad but if you want something more. Hauling the maximum recommened weight probably qualifies as extreme duty and a supplimental transmission cooler might be a good idea.

Dont put yourself or everyone on the road at risk don't overload your vechicle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i towed a 300lb trailer with my dodge neon and honda civic fine but i just hauled garbage to the dump every other week.

not sure if towing 1200 lbs with a small car would be wise. but if you do it, make sure brakes are good as the others have said.

really the accent can haul 5 adults which is what, 1000 lbs?? if you go alone, you should be ok as i think most car makers underestimate what your load can be for saftey sake.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If you have a temp gauge, keep an eye on it. As stated, the accent already has a transmission cooler integrated into the rad. You could use a custom dedicated cooler with some farication I guess. If you accent had AC, it already has 2 rad fans. If not, it only has 1 that covers half the rad. You could buy the AC rad fan and run it off the OEM fan using a relay setup or use an aftermarket low profile fan also running off the OEM fan with a relay setup.

·
Registered
268 Posts
With the manual - Maybe

With the auto - Nooooooo

Honestly, as long as it is not much stop and go, with the manual I would not worry to much, personally... Just expect to wear the clutch out a bit more than normal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
QUOTE (peter h @ Oct 31 2010, 08:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367826
I guess I am some sort of masochist, I want to tow a 1200 lbs (max) Harbor Freight style foldable trailer with my Accent. Typical loads will be a 250 lbs trailer, 100 lbs of wooden deck and boards plus 3 canoes at about 80-100 lbs each, for a typical load more like 600-650 lbs.
Would a transmission coolr be a good idea? How about a better cooling fan or an auxiliary one? Any brand/model numbers appreciated. Thanks.
Might look into buying a used truck for a second vehicle... a 1/4ton size would do the job... Ranger... S10... Tacoma.

If your hobbies require you to haul all that gear your lifestyle may dictate a vehicle change.
Why tear up a car by making it do something it wasn't designed to do...?
If you can't swing it financially you gotta have a friend with the same hobby(s) that drives a pickup, then chip in on gas.

(btw... i currently have a tow-hitch for my Accent saved in my 'Watched Items' on eBay right now... heh, it's tempting.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't imagine what 700 lbs would have as an effect on the front wheels... I just pull 3 bikes around on my bike rack in the back, and the front wheels get really loose with the steering wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts