Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and can't find if the auto tranny has a drain plug. I have a vacuum pump that I can drain the fluid via the dipstick if no drain plug.

Has anyone changed the fluid themselves? I figure that I can drain about 5 quarts or so by this method.
I plan on stopping by the dealer and picking up SPIII fluid.

08 sonata

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Remove the drain plug and let the fluid run out till it stops..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (noeffort @ Nov 19 2010, 03:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373111
so, there is a auto tranny drain plug on a 08 sonata?

Yes.

On the trans main case in center toward the tail end of trans... need 15/16 or 24mm to romove the plug.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (noeffort @ Nov 19 2010, 03:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373111
so, there is a auto tranny drain plug on a 08 sonata?

Yes.

On the trans main case in center toward the tail end of trans... need 15/16 or 24mm to romove the plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Love our sonata, fantastic to see the hyundai engineers put in the plug for easy service!
Any idea how many quarts she will drain? I picked up 5 qts. , but I know capacity is a little over 8.

Thanks again....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Drain it.

Slowly refill with 4 1/2qt.. start engine, let run till good and hot.. then adjudt the oil level to just above the lower hot zone line..

Level inspection is done with engine at idle, ATF hot, and shifter placed in "N"...

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 19 2010, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373213
Drain it.

Slowly refill with 4 1/2qt.. start engine, let run till good and hot.. then adjudt the oil level to just above the lower hot zone line..

Level inspection is done with engine at idle, ATF hot, and shifter placed in "N"...
4.5 i'm guessing he has a 4 cylinder. On my 3.3 V6, I put 5.5 in and it was just at full, didn't wanna waste 1/2 a quart so I threw the rest in. Moral, 6 quarts for a 3.3 slightly over filled. Drain plug is awesome.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all!!!!..... changed the tranny fluid today. Used ramps and drained about 4.5 qts. I refilled with 4.5qts and will drive tomorow till hot and check again. My jeep doesn't have a tranny drain plug and its a PITA to change.
Nice to see when automakers keep the service end of it in mind. Also changed the oil, oil filter & air filter.
Dealer wanted close to $500 with tax for the 30k service.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (noeffort @ Nov 20 2010, 03:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373428
Unbelievable!! $500 for an ATF change, oil/filter change and air filter change????? What a ripoff. How can they justify charging that much for a relatively simple service? And they wonder why customers chose to have maintenance services performed elsewhere. I had my ATF flushed, oil/filter changed, 4-wheel alignment/tire rotation for less than $200. Another $50 or so for the air filters which I changed myself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (noeffort @ Nov 20 2010, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373428
Thanks all!!!!..... changed the tranny fluid today. Used ramps and drained about 4.5 qts. I refilled with 4.5qts and will drive tomorow till hot and check again. My jeep doesn't have a tranny drain plug and its a PITA to change.
Nice to see when automakers keep the service end of it in mind. Also changed the oil, oil filter & air filter.
Dealer service 30k:
oil & filter change
rotate tires
replace engine air filter
inspect brake system
clean and adjust rear brakes
cooling system service
automatic transmission service
check and adjust tire pressure
top all fluids
clean and load test battery
scan on board engine control computer
lube latches & hinges
perform multipoint inspection
$449.95 + tax

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (noeffort @ Nov 20 2010, 04:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373446
Dealer service 30k:
oil & filter change - ~$20 at Firestone with coupon
rotate tires - Free
replace engine air filter - $30 parts - labor free
inspect brake system - Included in a $20 inspection
clean and adjust rear brakes - This I did not have performed - brakes passed inspection with no abnormal wear evident
cooling system service - what service? manual states no service needed until 60K
automatic transmission service - $130 for an ATF flush
check and adjust tire pressure - part of inspection/tire rotation
top all fluids - Firestone does this for free
clean and load test battery - Only time I test battery/electrical system is when I have a problem (usually bad battery)
scan on board engine control computer - <sarcasm on>probably where the majority of labor costs come from<sarcasm off>
lube latches & hinges - LMFAO - How many cans of silicone do they go through if indeed they actually performed this service?
perform multipoint inspection - part of the above mentioned inspection - although the dealer might be a little more thorough
$449.95 + tax
Grossly overinflated IMHO, worth half that at best.

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (noeffort @ Nov 19 2010, 02:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373081
Did a search and can't find if the auto tranny has a drain plug. I have a vacuum pump that I can drain the fluid via the dipstick if no drain plug.

Has anyone changed the fluid themselves? I figure that I can drain about 5 quarts or so by this method.
I plan on stopping by the dealer and picking up SPIII fluid.

08 sonata
The Hyundai procedure is to undue one of transmission lines at the radiator, run the engine, while adding
fluid until it runs new. Honda drains the tranny at the pan, adds 3 quarts or what, drives it and repeats
the procedure 2 or 3 times. That way you kinda flush out the torque converter also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
the dealership i bought my car wanted 560= tax for 30K service, call another one about 30 miles from there and they wanted 360+ tax
thinking about just doing a tranny flush at the dealer and do everything else myself

1 - 15 of 15 Posts