Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there.

As per the title. My Trajet details are under my profile.

So I was driving down the road when all of a sudden there was no power. The yellow engine management light came on at the same time. I pulled over, and restarted it ok, and just managed to get home ok.

It starts ok (engine idles), but when I press the accelerator, nothing happens, ie no revs.

Can anyone tell me what it might be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,318 Posts
It sounds like you have a problem with one of the throttle pedal sensors.
Have the engine PCM scanned to see what trouble code has been logged to confirm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I scanned it and the OBD scanner says there is one fault, but when I view it, it says n/a.

I downloaded a pdf workshop manual, so should be able to locate it. Are spare parts easy to come by in the UK?

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Are spare parts easy to come by in the UK?
I don't really know to be honest. I never had to buy anything other than service parts for my Hyundai.

Before you buy any parts for the car, you might want to invest in a better scan tool. Having the manual is great but you need to know what the trouble code is so you know what section of the manual is relevant. Also make sure the "Fuel System" section of your manual covers the diesel engine. A lot of the manuals I've seen online only cover the petrol engines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

So had the RAC come and look at it.

Here are the diagnostic code:

DTC P0180 : Fuel temp sensor A circuit malfunction

DTC: P0500 : Vehicle speed sensor malfunction

DTC: P0220 Throttle/peddle position sensor/switch B circuit malfunction

So I think you were spot on!

What's the best way to fix P0220? Just buy a new one and replace it?

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
What's the best way to fix P0220? Just buy a new one and replace it?
That's the best way to fix it if the sensor is faulty. It won't help much if there's a wiring fault though.

There should be a test procedure in the diesel FUEL SYSTEM section of your manual for diagnosing the fault code. That will tell you how to test the sensor and wiring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the best way to fix it if the sensor is faulty. It won't help much if there's a wiring fault though.

There should be a test procedure in the diesel FUEL SYSTEM section of your manual for diagnosing the fault code. That will tell you how to test the sensor and wiring.
Will also check the wiring.

Trying to locate the throttle sensor in the car, but can't seem to locate it! Tried looking for the cable that runs from the accelerator to the engine (as it's usally there):

IMG_20180423_105116.jpg Photo by vt24 | Photobucket

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Ok, found it in the manual, it's located at number 5
It's not actually. That's a manual for a 2.0 petrol engine.

Diesel engines don't have a throttle valve, so no bowden cable between the pedal and the engine.

The P0220 trouble code relates to the throttle pedal sensor which is part of the pedal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not actually. That's a manual for a 2.0 petrol engine.

Diesel engines don't have a throttle valve, so no bowden cable between the pedal and the engine.

The P0220 trouble code relates to the throttle pedal sensor which is part of the pedal.
Really glad you mentioned that, as was going to order this the 1st TPS (the small black module).

So you're saying the 2nd one is the actual TPS? Makes sense as this is attached to my accelerator (right at the top). :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Yes, your car will have the second one.

Just bear in mind that it might not be the sensor itself that's faulty so replacing it might not cure the problem. If you can find a used sensor cheap enough then go for it but if it's an expensive part you might want to check the voltages at the pedal before replacing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, replaced the throttle sensor and still same issues (also checked it with the multimeter). Had a **** of a job replacing it! Tip: remove the panel below the steering wheel, and undo the fuse box bolts so it dangles. there should be enough room to put your hand through.

So gonna now focus on the MASS air flow sensor. Gonna clean it with the special MASS cleaner, but assuming I need to replace it is there a difference in sensors for the petrol/diesel versions?

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
The engine not responding the the throttle pedal is unlikely to be a MAF issue.

As I said before, the P0220 code doesn't necessarily mean the pedal sensor is faulty. It means the sensor circuit is faulty, so you need to check the wiring next. I'd suggest starting off by measuring the voltages at the pedal harness connector. Unless you have a scan tool that will display engine sensor data. If you have, use that to read the pedal voltages first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update : Turns out it was a dirty air flow sensor.

Took it out, and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and let it dry for a bit. Also used the spray on the connector pins. Fault code has gone, and runs pretty well.

Anyway, thanks for all your help on here!

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
I think there is something very wrong with your car when a dirty MAF causes a throttle pedal fault but I'm glad it's sorted anyway....for now, at least.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree, which is why I need to check the pedal's voltage.

Dumb question, but if I check the voltage of the pedal sensor (where the actual pedal is), how do I earth the multimeter?

I'm new to testing anything electrical, but managed to test the air flow sensor by earthing it on the negative battery terminal ok and it was ok (but the pedal is too far for me to do this).

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
The car body is connected to the battery negative terminal, so you can connect your black meter probe to any clean metal behind the dashboard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update : Turns out it was a dirty air flow sensor.

Took it out, and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and let it dry for a bit. Also used the spray on the connector pins. Fault code has gone, and runs pretty well.

Anyway, thanks for all your help on here!
This is very useful, indeed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update #2:

So yeah spoke too soon, as the same issue has returned!!!

I ordered a brand new OEM MASS air flow sensor and it still wouldn't fire up! So decided to recheck the power lead(?) that supplies the power to the MASS. Here are the results:

Pins:

1) 5v

2) 12.5v

3) 00.5 ohms

4) 5v

5) It registers for a bit, then gos straight down to zero. Tried it under ohms or volt, but same issue. (not sure what to measure here, any ideas?). But when I measured it earlier this week, it showed 00.5 ohms.

I most likely measured the wrong way, so let me know! Gonna see if the correct values are in the Trajet manual. Also, is it easy to repair the power lead?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, last post is a bit of a mess so instead could someone look at the images attached, and explain (to a newbie) what values I need to check?

For example number 4; is this 0.5 volts (direct current)? The rest I'm not certain what values I need to measure (ie ohms, volts, etc). I'll then recheck properly, and hopefully know what's going on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts