Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new(er) car, and right now, the Sonata and Genesis appeal to me the most, and so far, the vice-president of finance hasn't found anything too much "wrong" with them compared to some other vehicles I have considered -- too small, too big, stick-shift, too much power, truck, poor fuel economy, etc., etc. I have a small utility trailer, 1500 pounds max loaded, for those three or four trips a year to Lowe's/Home Depot or the landfill. Despite the "not recommended" in the owner's manual, Reese has a Class II hitch for the Genesis, rated at 3500-pound capacity with 300- pound maximum tongue weight. Does Reese know something about towing that Hyundai doesn't want me to know? I have seen the comments on towing with the 2011 Sonata, but I haven't found any postings regarding towing with the Genesis. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge or experience of towing such a trailer with a Genesis?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The Genesis is a unibody design and not like big American sedans of yore that were body-on-frame and could tow loads that only today's big SUVs can accomplish. I remember the Cadillac Fleetwood was rated to tow almost 8,000 pounds up until it's final year on the market. Personally I wouldn't put a hitch on a Genesis unless Hyundai says okay. Just because Reese says it can be done doesn't make it a good idea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts