Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 2011 Sonata is towing rated? My 2008 I4 4G can handle 1000# w/o trailer brakes and 1500# with. I use a utility trailer and occasionally haul a light tent camper and need this capability. I love the 2011 model but no tow - no go!

·
Registered
817 Posts
The Owner's Manual, page 5.46 (and again, under "Towing" on page 5.51)states:

"We do not recommend this vehicle for towing."

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Sep 19 2010, 08:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357335
The Owner's Manual, page 5.46 (and again, under "Towing" on page 5.51)states:

"We do not recommend this vehicle for towing."
Darn! - I guess I'll stay with my 08' - Interesting they would drop this feature, it was one of the main reasons I chose the Sonata originally. :(

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I would get a proper pick-up such as an F-150. U-Haul doesn't even rent trailers to smaller pick-ups like the Ranger much less a car. Better yet, rent a truck from Ryder or U-Haul instead. It's far cheaper than replacing a $4,000 transmission. Even if you have a manual that is even worse because you can burn out a clutch. These are passenger vehicles; not cargo vehicles. You may actually exceed the weight limit with a full passenger load which is about 850 pounds. With an F-150 or equivalent, you won't even notice you have a trailer behind you because they are built for it. But no car should be used for towing in my view.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
There is another thread on this and apparently Hyundai Australia has a trailer tow kit available for the Sonata (i45), so not sure if it can really tow or not. Don't think the Australian cars are any different than the NA version. Maybe the US has a stricter regulations and the Sonata doesn't meet the minimum to be classified as able to tow but it meets Australian standards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts