Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our bikes to ATL in July and had a maddening squeak while the rack was attached. (We have the Curt trailer hitch on our Tucson, with a Thule 916XT bike rack.) I thought it was the actual rack squeaking inside the receiver of the hitch, so I didn't think there was much I could really do about it. However, when I got under the car tonight to reattach the rack for another bike trip, I saw that there is a small piece of metal attached to the plastic trim piece on the very back/bottom of the Tucson that is in contact with the trailer hitch on both the left and right ends of the hitch. Under no load, there is no squeak, but under the load of the rack and two bikes, it is very noticeable and VERY annoying. I simply put a piece of sticky-backed fabric on the hitch in both places and it seems to have eliminated the squeak.

Hope this helps anyone else who might have this issue.

tim B)

·
Premium Member
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
335 Posts
I have a 2" hitch & when the ball is inserted it is loose enough to bang around as my trailer is light. There was a second hole, 1/2". I welded a 1/2 nut to the right side so I could tighten a bolt into the 2" insert. Work great.

Bruce

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (bnelsonr @ Aug 19 2010, 10:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350610
I have a 2" hitch & when the ball is inserted it is loose enough to bang around as my trailer is light. There was a second hole, 1/2". I welded a 1/2 nut to the right side so I could tighten a bolt into the 2" insert. Work great.

Bruce
That's what was driving me crazy about this squeak; on the Thule rack, you actually tighten a bolt which pulls the rack insert tight up against the inside wall of the hitch receiver. It doesn't move at all when you torque it down, so I couldn't figure out how it was squeaking. Turns out, it wasn't! :)

tim B)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same curt tow hitch and I just put on a Yakima 4-bikes rack on the past weekend.
Did notice very very minor squeaking sound but I am not sure if it's related to the tow hitch.
since I got to many craps in my trunk LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts