Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Curt Class III trailer hitch for our 2018 Tucson. I watched quite a few videos on installing it and wondered if it was really that easy. Well, for the most part it was.

The trim panels came off easy enough and I brushed out the rivnuts. I followed the suggestion of slipping the passenger side up on the exhaust to hold it while I get a bolt or two started on the driver side. Since I was working on the ground (no jacks), it took a bit of finessing to maneuver the hitch so I could get the driver side started. Got the two bolts on the bottom started OK. Then I slid over to the passenger side. As it turns out, the passenger side would not slip up and around the channel, the clearance is too tight. After channeling my inner Ernie Hall, I tried to bench press it into position. All I got was a slight extension of the rear shocks. So I went back to the video and sure enough, he doesn't show lifting the passenger side into place nor mention any potential issues.

Switching tactics, I used my floor jack under the receiver and a few short pumps later, the hitch yielded to my will and slipped into place. So now all the bolts go in, get torqued, covers back in place. Done! If I hadn't encountered the problem lifting the passenger side up, total time would have been around 30 minutes. Actual time was about 45.

And not exciting to look at but I know "pics or it didn't happen".

IMG_3395.JPG

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks good. I have a Draw-Tite Class II on my Tucson. I got this hitch from 4wheelonline. I temporarily lowered my exhaust during the installation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts