Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a hitch on a 2011 Sonata? If yes, any recommendations or problems. Does anyone know the rated towing capacity? I saw something that indicated that it had not yet been determined. Thanks, Lee

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (jaybo @ Apr 30 2010, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318295
U.S. Owner's manual states towing is not recommended.
I am concerned about this issue with regard to the effect of installing a trailer hitch would have on the Warranty. if a claim was made for a transmission, suspension or other related item. Don't all or most manufacturers specify a towing capacity?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's an update on trailer hitches for the 2011 Sonata...

eTrailer.com now lists a Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch

<blockquote>Class 1
1-1/4" Hitch Opening
Gross Towing Weight (GTW): 2,000 lbs.
Tongue Weight (TW): 200 lbs.
Item Code: 24853
Price: $155.95 W/ Free Shipping
Install time and Difficulty: 40 mins approx. 4 out of 10 Difficulty. No drilling required but exhaust must be temporarily lowered for installation.
Install Instructions .pdf
Recommended Wiring Kit: Draw-Tite 118433 $39.95

NOTES: Fits all models inc. SE w/ dual exh. | Draw-Tite hitch does not includes ball mount, hitch pin, or clip. | Cross tube is square w/ open ends. | Heat shields are trimmed and reused.

Sorry, no pics available.</blockquote>

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
They do say they dont recommend it , but they have a chapter on figuring our towing weight / cargo capacity, etc...

Manual States the following:

"Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km) of operation."

"Towing capacity:We do not recommend using this vehicle for trailer towing."
If your vehicle will be towing a trailer, load from your trailer will be
transferred to your vehicle. Consult this manual to determine how this
reduces the available cargo and luggage load capacity of your vehicle.

CH5/P46
PDF/PAGE 262

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's interesting that they don't recommend it but tell you what to (and not to) do when towing. I have a utility trailer (weighs about 500lbs empty) that I use for short hauls (about 8 miles round trip) from local stores (like Lowes). I will probably get this and just take it easy. It's not like I'm going cross country with it and I don't even break 40 mph. The video for installing the wiring harness was helpful but I don't like the idea of the harness hanging over the bumper when in use. But since it won't be that often (just a few times a year), I guess I can live with that.

·
Banned
630 Posts
there's no way in **** I'd dare put a trailer hitch on a 4cyl car, especially a car as low as the sonata to begin with. Theres no way a 4cyl can haul anything besides 4 people.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ May 13 2010, 12:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322545
Any idea why? I was looking at this over the Tucson because the 2.0t Sonata will have more torque than the Tucson, so by the numbers better for towing. Maybe because of the lightweight frame?
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Aug 5 2010, 08:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347288
there's no way in **** I'd dare put a trailer hitch on a 4cyl car, especially a car as low as the sonata to begin with. Theres no way a 4cyl can haul anything besides 4 people.
A lot of people think that the power and torque of the engine is the deciding factor on towing capacity of a vehicle. Of course, the more torque an engine makes, the easier it will be to haul around stuff, but the bigger issue is transmission, suspension, and braking of the vehicle moreso than how much power the engine has.

If a vehicle has a low towing capacity, it is because the trans, suspenion, and brakes weren't designed for the additional stress. Using the logic that the 2.0T Sonata will be better for towing because it makes more power is irrelevant. Unless Hyundai beefs up the trans, suspension, and brakes on the 2.0T, it will have the same towing capacity as the non-Turbo model.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Aug 5 2010, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347317
A lot of people think that the power and torque of the engine is the deciding factor on towing capacity of a vehicle. Of course, the more torque an engine makes, the easier it will be to haul around stuff, but the bigger issue is transmission, suspension, and braking of the vehicle moreso than how much power the engine has.

If a vehicle has a low towing capacity, it is because the trans, suspenion, and brakes weren't designed for the additional stress. Using the logic that the 2.0T Sonata will be better for towing because it makes more power is irrelevant. Unless Hyundai beefs up the trans, suspension, and brakes on the 2.0T, it will have the same towing capacity as the non-Turbo model.

towing with a turbo vehicle is absolutely retarded.....

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Aug 5 2010, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347341
An engine with a turbo has absolutely no relevance to whether or not the vehicle is suitable for towing.

I am sure owners of the following vehicle would disagree with you.

A cummings turbo diesel is a completely different animal. That beast is MEANT for towing, NOTHING else. try towing something with a Subaru WRX or Mitsu EVO. Going constantly in and out of boost is going to ultimately kill the turbo...

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Aug 5 2010, 01:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347348
A cummings turbo diesel is a completely different animal. That beast is MEANT for towing, NOTHING else. try towing something with a Subaru WRX or Mitsu EVO. Going constantly in and out of boost is going to ultimately kill the turbo...
Say WHAT? From a person that stated he has owned a turbo, that statement you have provided is pure BUNK. You go in and out of turbo load just from accelerating from the line. You are in and out of turbo load just by casual inflection of your right foot.

I am going to have to toss up the B O L O G N A flag on that one.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Aug 5 2010, 03:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347372
You are in and out of turbo load just by casual inflection of your right foot.
yup....and guess what??? I BLEW MY TURBO!!! I didn't install an MBC (manual boost controller), so my boost was at stock pressure...no chips or ECU hacks..stock full pressure 1994 Saab 9000 Turbo with a CAI and wastegate.

Turbos do not like stop and go or towing..don't believe me? go buy a boosted car or visit any subaru forum.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Aug 5 2010, 04:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347377
yup....and guess what??? I BLEW MY TURBO!!! I didn't install an MBC (manual boost controller), so my boost was at stock pressure...no chips or ECU hacks..stock full pressure 1994 Saab 9000 Turbo with a CAI and wastegate.

Turbos do not like stop and go or towing..don't believe me? go buy a boosted car or visit any subaru forum.
You had a crap turbo. I am running 17 PSI on mine and over 5 years with a lot of light to light operation at full PSI. I have 3" exhaust and an aftermarket IC.

Seems like you had a bum turbo/platform from the get go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Aug 5 2010, 12:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347340
towing with a turbo vehicle is absolutely retarded.....towing with a 4cyl is retarded.....
Dude, your statements typify the "wisdom" so abundant all over the internet.....

74 Beetle towing a 5th Wheel

For the sake of the topic....and this is an OPINION.....

I've towed various small items with almost everything I've owned, and many of them have had 4-cyl engines. The key here is being reasonable, I'd never use the Sonata (or it's predecessor a Honda Element) for a big load of anything from Home Depot, but my small utility trailer taking my basic lawn tractor 5 miles to my in-laws isn't going to hurt a thing. The greater (for us) use for a trailer hitch is my bike rack, which were I inclined to take my car in for service might be left on there just to make it clear my tow-bar's intentions ;)

IMHO the biggest reason almost every manufacturer has rest of world towing ratings of some small amount but not for America is our litigious society. People in our country will find any excuse to sue some company because they did something they should have been smart enough not to try in the first place.

the question that is still up for speculation is if Hyundai of America would (try to) deny a warranty claim if you had a tow hitch, they would have to prove it was caused by overloading the vehicle but? (I've seen some people driving Accents that look to weigh more than my lawn mower so I'd be up for an argument :D )

·
Registered
486 Posts
i45 .. Australian factory spec..... http://www2.hyundai.com.au/Cars/i45/Accessories/default.aspx

Towbar, towball and trailer wiring harness Specifically designed – High quality – Australian Standards compliant

Whether your towing needs are for work or pleasure, you can tow with confidence by fitting a Genuine Hyundai Towbar to your new i45. Engineered for the specific needs of your vehicle, our towbars are manufactured to ISO9001 and QS9000 Quality Standards. They are extensively static- and dynamic-load tested for assured safety, and meet all State and Federal regulations (including Australian Standards criteria). To withstand the most demanding conditions, finishing coats are of the highest specification, while the high-quality high-tensile fasteners feature an anti-corrosion finish.

Maximum Ball Download = 80kg (Automatic) or 170kg (Manual).
Towing capacity = Braked, 1700kg (Manual) 800kg (Automatic), Unbraked, 650kg (Manual) 400kg (Automatic).
Towbar capacity subject to regulatory requirements, tow bar design, vehicle design and towing equipment limitations.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Aug 5 2010, 04:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347402
i45 .. Australian factory spec..... http://www2.hyundai.com.au/Cars/i45/Accessories/default.aspx

Towbar, towball and trailer wiring harness Specifically designed – High quality – Australian Standards compliant

Whether your towing needs are for work or pleasure, you can tow with confidence by fitting a Genuine Hyundai Towbar to your new i45. Engineered for the specific needs of your vehicle, our towbars are manufactured to ISO9001 and QS9000 Quality Standards. They are extensively static- and dynamic-load tested for assured safety, and meet all State and Federal regulations (including Australian Standards criteria). To withstand the most demanding conditions, finishing coats are of the highest specification, while the high-quality high-tensile fasteners feature an anti-corrosion finish.

Maximum Ball Download = 80kg (Automatic) or 170kg (Manual).
Towing capacity = Braked, 1700kg (Manual) 800kg (Automatic), Unbraked, 650kg (Manual) 400kg (Automatic).
Towbar capacity subject to regulatory requirements, tow bar design, vehicle design and towing equipment limitations.
Why do they have to drive on the wrong side of the car, I want one of those dash mats.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts