Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding it rather difficult to mount a trailer towing brake controller to the new vehicles with the dash not having a lower rounded edge. Our new 2020 Santa Fe joins this group as the dash extends almost straight down with no bottom curved section. Has anyone found a "good place" to mound this device so your not bumping your knees or shins on it half the time you enter/exit the Santa Fe? If so, I'd certainly appreciate a good description or pictures. I'll be mounting the hitch, wiring, and controller very soon and it would be helpful to see what others have done.
Thanks I n advance for any/all suggestions!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Trailer brake on an SUV this size NOT a good idea...you will not need them if you stay in the towing capacity limits!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have electric brakes on my 13" Scamp Delux. I've been towing and/or driving RV's(12 different units including 3 Diesel pushers and several 24'-33' travel trailers) since 1970. I will use the factory electric brakes on my Scamp 13' trailer. I know, It's not what weigh your towing, rather how fast can you STOP it!!!!
So---still looking for a recommended place to mount a brake controller, not if I should have one or not.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, the Fed law states that brakes are required on any trailer over 3,000 lbs, Since the towing capacity of my limited 2.0t is 3,500 lbs, towing any trailer at or close to the towing capacity of my Santa Fe without brakes would be breaking the law. California requires brakes on any trailer exceeding 1500 lbs so your recommendation should not be adapted by other Forum members reading this 'thread!!

·
Registered
2020 2.4 SEL FWD
121 Posts
If you have electric trailer brakes available, it's just silly not to have them in service.

I looked at the controller in my truck. It's a kinda tiny little thing. I think if I was gonna mount it in my Santa Fe, I would use a bracket that could stand a little curve and mount it on the bottom side of the steering column box. I can't find a great place for it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have electric trailer brakes available, it's just silly not to have them in service.

I looked at the controller in my truck. It's a kinda tiny little thing. I think if I was gonna mount it in my Santa Fe, I would use a bracket that could stand a little curve and mount it on the bottom side of the steering column box. I can't find a great place for it.
Thank you for your reply. I'll take a look where you suggested. I appreciate you help!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not exactly sure what map systems have to do with my thread, but OH WELL!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found my brake controller on e-trailer (see below)! This controller can be remotely mounted in any position and is controlled by a wired remotely located switch that is mounted within the cockpit area where ever the vehicle owner wants it. In essence, you get a lit attractive knob that controls/changes the amount of braking transmitted to the trailer. Yes, it's a bit pricey @ $200 but imho, it's well worth it. Hope this helps other members wanting to select and mount a controller to their Santa Fe.

Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer BrakeController - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional - 331-EBRH-ACCV2

·
Registered
2020 SF Ultimate
55 Posts
I found my brake controller on e-trailer (see below)! This controller can be remotely mounted in any position and is controlled by a wired remotely located switch that is mounted within the cockpit area where ever the vehicle owner wants it. In essence, you get a lit attractive knob that controls/changes the amount of braking transmitted to the trailer. Yes, it's a bit pricey @ $200 but imho, it's well worth it. Hope this helps other members wanting to select and mount a controller to their Santa Fe.

I am thinking about mounting Reese Towpower proportional brake controller to the fuse panel cover door with a use of small bracket.That way I can easily remove it without a trace by replacing fuse panel door. Reese is only about $50 and with 5x2in in size should fit ok.

If you are looking for a remote controller Reese Towpower 8508700 is less than $100.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you, it's a bit pricey, however, I'll look into it. Thank you!
Well, I 've traded in my 2019 Limited for a truck with a built-in controller. My Echo controller is now for sale.... and the Weathertech Floor liners, front and back.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer BrakeController - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional - 331-EBRH-ACCV2
I know this is a bit late, but I have a 2017 SantaFe with towing package And want to get this controller as well Does it connect with a quick connect under the dash? If so, would you mind telling me approximate location? Thank you!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hyundai Australia has a brake controller kit for the SFe. Looks like it would mount by the drivers left knee. I wonder if a US dealership can order AUS accessories? Or if an AUS dealership would be willing to ship it to the US?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know this is a bit late, but I have a 2017 SantaFe with towing package And want to get this controller as well Does it connect with a quick connect under the dash? If so, would you mind telling me approximate location? Thank you!
I does connect to the factory wiring harness, however, I had it installed along with the hitch at a shop specializing in "Auto Toyz". I believe the connector is located under the dash on the left side of the steering column. I believe you will be really pleased with this unit as it looks great, works well, and you'll forget it's even there when not towing.,

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2 Posts
I does connect to the factory wiring harness, however, I had it installed along with the hitch at a shop specializing in "Auto Toyz". I believe the connector is located under the dash on the left side of the steering column. I believe you will be really pleased with this unit as it looks great, works well, and you'll forget it's even there when not towing.,
Thanks so much for responding! Think I’ll go for it. I was thinking of doing it myself, but using a shop sounds right. Thx again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts