Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating trading in my 2010 Tucson for a 2011 Sonata. How bad of a hit do you think I'll take?? I have a Limited, AWD, Popular equipment package( Navigation, leather, etc..). Cotton White with Black leather. I think I purchased just about every option, Mud Flap, Wheel locks, Home Link mirror, Weathertech floor mats all around, Bull Bar, Trailer Hitch and a few items I added after I purchase the Tucson like 2 way remote start with pager, HID lighting for the Headlights and fog lights and I also had the front windows tinted to match the rear. I have had the Tucson since April 2,2010 and I only have 3k miles on it. I also purchased the extended warranty to cover the entire vehicle for 10 years of 100k miles. I still like to Tucson, but I originally wanted the 2011 Sonata but I talked myself in the Tucson to handle the snow. Not that we get that much of it here in NY. I don't know I've just been kicking the idea around. How bad of a loss do you think I'll take?

·
1,565 Posts
www.kbb.com is an excellent indicator of what you can expect to get for your car. Just be honest about the info you put in.

·
Registered
838 Posts
What? :eek: How could you? Traitor,,,lol. Actually it crossed my mind as well :thumbsup: How can you resist, now that the Sonata has a 2.0, 264hp turbo, that gets 37mpg, if you can stay off the Go pedal a bit. Just read the review linked off the MSN home page. I think it was a Motor Trend link? By the way, that chrome grill on the top of the line Sonata is killer! :wink2:

If I still lived in N. Massapequa, I actually thought about getting a 2010 orange, & black, 300hp V6 6spd auto Camaro which was close to the same price as the Tucson originally, but I wouldn't be able to make it up my sloped driveway up here in the winter, it certainly wouldn't work as a daily driver :( but it's phenomenol eye candy

But, Good Luck whatever you decide to do, you have a prime fully loaded Tucson :thumbsup:

·
Registered
570 Posts
But, isn't the Tucson/Sportage slated to get that very same turbo 4 this year? If that's the case, you might trade it in for that.

I do know this: you will never know if you don't ask. I was driving around a brand new Audi, but it was just a bit smaller than we had hoped for. Fortunately, my Hyundai dealer also sells Audi and they knew they could move that car quick. They gave me a fabulous offer for my Audi, to the point where, even though I took a couple thousand dollar hit, I would have taken a much worse hit at the end of the deal when you figure maintenance, lease termination, etc. I had no thought we would actually be able to get the deal done, but it worked out great for me.

Best of luck.

tim B)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
I filled out the vehicle request from Hyundai.com and sent it to 5 local dealers. They all are eager for me to bring in the Tucson, they state they can't find the package that I have and have several people lined up who want to purchase it. idk it just might be BS to get me in the door. But that makes me feel a bit better knowing that I am not going to loose my shirt if I make this deal. I really love the Tucson but I just love the sleek style of the Sonata. And now with the 2.0 Turbo available it getting really hard for me to resist. I wish I can afford to keep both of them. I am not sure what they will pay me extra for the Weather Tech mats, Bull-bar, Hitch with step. If nothing then I'll take them off and put them in the For Sale forum here and let another member scoop them up for a deal. But I will keep you posted. Thanks again..
J.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went to the first dealer to see what they would do for me. I was offered 24k. It cost me 28k. He is also willing to knock off 1k from the cost of the Sonata 2.0t Limited. I am sure I can get a better deal. I have about 4 more dealers to price.

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Oct 28 2010, 07:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367099
Well I went to the first dealer to see what they would do for me. I was offered 24k. It cost me 28k. He is also willing to knock off 1k from the cost of the Sonata 2.0t Limited. I am sure I can get a better deal. I have about 4 more dealers to price.
It cost you 28k originally, or AFTER you added all your toys? If you have 28 invested in it TOTAL, 24 seems very reasonable, especially when the new ones (2011) haven't gone up in price by any appreciable amount. I'm not saying you should take it; only you can make that decision. I just know from being in the same position in February that I wasn't expecting them to come close to my number, and they actually did.

Keep us posted.

tim B)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Joeeey, This is your conscience talking,,,lol :wink2:
Do you really want to give up the AWD, commanding seating position, extra ground clearance, (great for floods, slush, & snow), the roof rack, plus extra luggage capacity, and the soft/offroad ability of the Tucson, (great for making u-turns over curbs and grassy malls, when stuck in traffic, or dividers,,,been there/done that) :wink2: All for a sedan? Or is it just the flashy looks, & turbo calling?

You could always get a Nissan Rogue, or Toyota Rav 4 AWD V6, for more power, although they're pretty pricey, but I don't think either one has 4WD lock.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck, and All The Best, Mike :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (TimmyB @ Oct 28 2010, 08:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367116
It cost you 28k originally, or AFTER you added all your toys? If you have 28 invested in it TOTAL, 24 seems very reasonable, especially when the new ones (2011) haven't gone up in price by any appreciable amount. I'm not saying you should take it; only you can make that decision. I just know from being in the same position in February that I wasn't expecting them to come close to my number, and they actually did.

Keep us posted.

tim B)
28 is without the toys, but they aren't concerned about what has been added therefor I can pull everything off and bring it in stock. I can then hopefully sell off the items that I purchased. I have a few more dealers that I need to get a price from maybe I can find a better deal. I am happy that I found out I can transfer the extended warranty to the new ride if I need to :banana: .

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Oct 29 2010, 06:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367222
28 is without the toys, but they aren't concerned about what has been added therefor I can pull everything off and bring it in stock. I can then hopefully sell off the items that I purchased. I have a few more dealers that I need to get a price from maybe I can find a better deal. I am happy that I found out I can transfer the extended warranty to the new ride if I need to :banana: .
Then, absolutely I would still get the other dealers to give you a quote, but I don't feel this first offer is unfair in any way. Even though it only has 3K miles, it's still a used car to them. The one thing that you might not be considering is the sales tax. In Michigan, you would also be giving up the 6% you paid with the original vehicle purchase. I don't know what it is where you live.

Best of luck.

tim B)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (TimmyB @ Oct 29 2010, 07:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367229
Then, absolutely I would still get the other dealers to give you a quote, but I don't feel this first offer is unfair in any way. Even though it only has 3K miles, it's still a used car to them. The one thing that you might not be considering is the sales tax. In Michigan, you would also be giving up the 6% you paid with the original vehicle purchase. I don't know what it is where you live.

Best of luck.

tim B)
The good thing about it is in NY you get credit for the sales tax towards a new car purchase. So I would only pay tax on about 4k. I am having a hard time getting a trade in quote from dealers b/c they state there is no used car pricing for a 2010 Tucson yet. idk, I'll have to few a week or so b/c dealers are just now getting in the Sonata Turbo models. So I'll wait until next week.
Thanks,

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 1 2010, 08:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368102
The good thing about it is in NY you get credit for the sales tax towards a new car purchase. So I would only pay tax on about 4k. I am having a hard time getting a trade in quote from dealers b/c they state there is no used car pricing for a 2010 Tucson yet. idk, I'll have to few a week or so b/c dealers are just now getting in the Sonata Turbo models. So I'll wait until next week.
Thanks,
If the dealers are telling you that, that makes the $24K offer sound even better to me. That's good news about the tax, It looks like your mind is already made up, though. You changed your avatar from a sweet looking Tucson to a Jets logo?????????????? Oh, well, at least it's not the Mets! :laughing:

I was mentioning your dilemma to my wife over the weekend, since we went through this in February. Just for fun, I said maybe we'd trade our Tucson in when the turbo-4 comes out next spring. My kingdom for a camera to catch the look she gave me! Oh, well, at least we can dream.

tim B)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (TimmyB @ Nov 1 2010, 08:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368114
If the dealers are telling you that, that makes the $24K offer sound even better to me. That's good news about the tax, It looks like your mind is already made up, though. You changed your avatar from a sweet looking Tucson to a Jets logo?????????????? Oh, well, at least it's not the Mets! :laughing:

I was mentioning your dilemma to my wife over the weekend, since we went through this in February. Just for fun, I said maybe we'd trade our Tucson in when the turbo-4 comes out next spring. My kingdom for a camera to catch the look she gave me! Oh, well, at least we can dream.

tim B)
LOL My wife also thinks I am nuts. Yeah I have made up my mind. I am just waiting for a dealer to find a vehicle with the color & options that I want. I am a big Jets fan and I've seen another member with a Jets avatar and I was thinking that was a great idea. So I changed mine. I will keep it as Jets even after I get the Sonata. Thanks Tim.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, Have decided I am trading in my 2010 Tucson and I have a bunch of accessories that I need to sell off. Please see thread Hyundai-Forums for sale thread

A local dealer made me a good deal on the trade and also a good deal on the purchase of a 2011 Sonata Turbo Limited, But they have no need for the added accessories. Take a look.

If anyone is in the area or wants to drive over I will install these items for free.

Thanks guys,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts