Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only had the occasion to drive my Elantra several times in the snow last year as i got it in Dec. 2012. On one occasion it got stuck going up a small incline. I did not have snow tires. How does one turn off the traction control? Do snow tires help that much . I have never had a small, low, light car before. Any other tips or tricks? I hear the Michelin X-Ice are really good. also the Hakka R.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I only had the occasion to drive my Elantra several times in the snow last year as i got it in Dec. 2012. On one occasion it got stuck going up a small incline. I did not have snow tires. How does one turn off the traction control? Do snow tires help that much . I have never had a small, low, light car before. Any other tips or tricks? I hear the Michelin X-Ice are really good. also the Hakka R.
Traction control is part of Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and can be turned off by a button the dash (skidding car symbol). When you do the "ESC Off" light will illuminate in the instrument cluster. This has to be done each time you start the car.

Turning off traction control may allow you to get up a hill that you wouldn't be able to otherwise, but usually only if the snow is deep and wheelspin will help you get forward momentum. In cases where you're spinning because the road is icy or has a thin layer of very slick snow, it won't usually help. Very gently squeezing the throttle may help.

Dedicated snow tires will help and are night/day better in many situations. I'm not an expert, but I'm not very impressed with the standard all-season Hankook tires that come standard on most Elantras. Even going to a better all-season should help.

- Mark

·
Registered
171 Posts
winter tires do make a big difference. They will give you better traction in snow, when compared to an all season. I have hankook ipike w409. I've only had one chance to use in the snow so far (that was 2 days ago). Seemed to handle well. I just got my car 3 weeks ago. I did use these same tires on my previous car, and it seem to handle well in the snow as well. My previous car didn't have any traction control, stability control, or anything of that sort.

If you do live in an area with snow. I always recommend winter tires.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you do live in an area with snow. I always recommend winter tires.
I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DON'T HAVE SNOW TIRES!!! argh I can't even begin my rant on how much it drives me insane!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DON'T HAVE SNOW TIRES!!! argh I can't even begin my rant on how much it drives me insane!
I agree, but you can't force people do anything, unless they make it the law, like in quebec.

Even if it was a law, you'd still get those who'd break the law, for example. Talking on cell phones (illegal in ontario, but I see people do it everyday).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep you're right. But that still doesn't mean I'm not going to sue the **** out of someone that doesn't have snow tires if they hit me and wreck my car. There's no excuse for not having winter tires.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Most of the people seem to take "all season" as truely being well suited for all seasons.
Funny part is alot of people will replace perfectly good all season tires in the fall because they dont want to run another winter on them.
I run my all season's down to the wear bars in the summer and when my winter tires get worn so I dont want to go another winter with them I will run them the rest of summer so I get full use out of my tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think I am going to explore good snow tires. Like the ones I mentioned > Cost permitting. Any recomendations ? Markjenn..I think you are saying I have to press that button every time after turning car on since it defaults to be on when you shut it off. Right ? Marc

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I think I am going to explore good snow tires. Like the ones I mentioned > Cost permitting. Any recomendations ? Markjenn..I think you are saying I have to press that button every time after turning car on since it defaults to be on when you shut it off. Right ? Marc
Just remember if you buy studable tires they are not as good on ice without the studs.
If you cannot use studs, go for studless winter ice tires

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just remember if you buy studable tires they are not as good on ice without the studs.
If you cannot use studs, go for studless winter ice tires
All three of our vehicles have studless studable tires. They work perfectly fine in snow and such.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yep you're right. But that still doesn't mean I'm not going to sue the **** out of someone that doesn't have snow tires if they hit me and wreck my car. There's no excuse for not having winter tires.
Lol over in the Kia forums, just had someone swoop/troll my winter tire thread, "laughing" at us who buy winter tires.

In a computer forum I frequent, a thread got locked because folks got all worked up over having winter tires mandatory or not.

Probably a subject best left alone I guess...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lol over in the Kia forums, just had someone swoop/troll my winter tire thread, "laughing" at us who buy winter tires.

In a computer forum I frequent, a thread got locked because folks got all worked up over having winter tires mandatory or not.

Probably a subject best left alone I guess...
I'll continue to keep myself safe with snow tires and laugh at the fools that are in the ditch without them lol

·
22,793 Posts
"To each his own," I always say. I promise you, if I lived up there in the frozen tundra where you guys are, I'd sure have a set on my car. Down here, we get by with All Season's and common driving sense. Most of us. The common sense, that is.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Markjenn..I think you are saying I have to press that button every time after turning car on since it defaults to be on when you shut it off. Right ?
Correct. It always defaults to "On" at startup. But I'd only turn ESC off when you really need it off - not as a matter of course every time you get in the car when the roads are slick. Turning it off defeats a number of safety systems including skid control which is something pretty desirable to have on. And there aren't very many situations where turning ESC off will make the difference between getting there and not.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
With traction control we have to change our driving habits a bit, exactly like ABS. With ABS you need to learn not to release the brakes if you skid. With Traction Control you need to learn not to release the gas when you skid, the car is already releasing the gas for you and the car will just stop if you release, then you look like a fool who cannot go over a small icy bump on the road. Turning off ESC is not always helpful in these situations, the wheel will spin faster, but you will not gain traction on the non-skidding wheel. Traction control applies brakes on the skidding wheel to let the other wheel to turn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all
Just a thought here. I remember years ago when u could start your car off in second gear in the winter. The reason was to limit tire spin from first gear. On the Elantra I have a choice of auto or manual shift. If I choose manual shift and push the shifter up once I can start off in second gear. I would think this might help from the extra low first gear spinning. Also may help to have more of a feathering feel of the gas pedal. I haven’t tried it out yet as this is my first winter with the Elantra. I will try it with esc on and off to see what could be better and I would, after the car gets moving just slide the shifter over to auto.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yep good first post Rich_Can. Last winter, in deep snow, etc. I always turned esc off and popped the car into shiftronic and kept it in 2nd until I got the car rolling along.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts