Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 4 new General Altimax RT43 205/55R16 T rated tires for my 13EGT in late October 2017 based on consumer reports rating of this model tire. Had 4 wheel alignment done at time of purchase of tires.

3 months prior had new oem frt. struts, new frt. stab. bar ends, and ball joints installed. Rear suspension was checked and was AOK.

I live in the country and had no "tracking" issues because all of the pavement is convention (NO Longitudinal multi-grooved pavement) .

1st Tracking issue developed while heading E on I-69 toward Flint, Mi. Wet snow falling, but road crews kept the snow scraped off of the road, temperature about 34 F., and pavement wet.

Everything was fine with the car until the pavement switched from
conventional to longitudinal multi-grooved pavement (parallel to the direction I was traveling ) on the 2 lane highway.
I had to slow the car down to 45 mph and hold the steering wheel with 2 white knuckled hands, while in the fast lane, cars passed me by going 65 - 70 mph. If I went any faster than 45 mph the rear end of the car would oscillate back and forth, and I would surely loose control and skid off the road into the ditch.

2nd Tracking issue developed driving S on I-131 to Grand Rapids, Michigan. Temperature was 36 F, road was dry, Speed limit is 70 mph. Again the 2 lane road is composed of conventional pavement and longitudinal multi-grooved pavement (parallel to the direction I was traveling ) that I would encounter with no prior warning.
If I tried to keep up with the 70 mph traffic on the longitudinal multi-grooved pavement the rear end of the car would oscillate back and forth as I held the steering wheel with both white knuckled hands and I was forced to slow down to around 60 mph for my safety.

I called General Tire and explained the problem to them even though it was past the 45 day free tire return deadline.
They confirmed the issue was "TRACKING" and was due to the "Symmetrical" tread pattern of this tire. They initially did not want to take the tires back but suggested I replaced them with another General Tire model that had the "Asymmetrical" tread pattern. Luckily they do not produce any General tire models with "Asymmetrical" pattern in my tire size, so they offered me a full refund, which I GLADLY accepted.

I replaced the 4 General Tires with 4 Cooper tires (Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring 205/55R16 T rated). These tires have an "Asymmetrical" tread pattern and a softer tire rubber compound than the General Altimax RT43 tires. These Cooper tires do not transfer all road bumps to the seats and steering wheel like the General Tires, and give a great ride to the car.

I returned with the car (with the Cooper Tires installed) and headed S on I-131 to Grand Rapids and when I hit the longitudinal multi-grooved pavement, NO ISSUES. I drove with one relaxed hand on the steering wheel and took the car up to 80-85 with no 'TRACKING" issues.

I just wanted to pass this information on to others and ask if anyone on the forum in the SNOWBELT STATES, has experienced this issue while driving on their particular States longitudinal multi-grooved pavement roads ??

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,826 Posts
This sounds like the rear end of my car in the snow. Period. Ive almost lost it a few times being risky on the OEM Hankook tires (Using through this winter season to wear them down). I know my rear end alignment isn't great but "In spec" which includes nearly everything though.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Car was OE equipped with maybe "H" rated.. you downgraded your tires 1st..

2nd, if you paid for a 4 wheel align,, you got taken.. Elantra is 2 wheel align..

3rd, until somebody invent bender that will bend rear beam to straighten the align out back (you should see some of the animated chassis views I see),, in Hyundai eyes via numbers given,, as long as the wheels still attached to rear axle,,,,,, IT'S IN-SPEC

Seen a full set of Michelin Pilots in W rate roll across shop to be put on Elantra,, somebody got more money than sense,, Elantra destroys tires..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) I downrated the tires to T rating because I do not drive over 118 mph and I picked up a higher mileage warranty rating for the tire.

2) I misspoke on the 4 wheel alignment, I should have said all 4 wheels were checked for alignment. My tire alignment was FREE (No Cost)
when I purchased the 4 tires.

3) Both the original and the Yokohama tires (previous set - got 40K when I took them off) always showed even tire wear across the tire tread pattern.
I rotate and balance them every 5K, part of my tire package when purchased.

Could your comment on Elantras eating up tires be based on 4 door sedan Elantra and not the Elantra GT ??

4) I stay away from Overpriced Michelins based on rubber compound breaking down on sidewalls (cracking due to dryrot that I read in a lot of Michielin owner tire reviews)
That is the reason I did not repurchase Yokohama tires (after 3 sets on 3 different cars) -- dryrot appearing in the bottom of the tire inner and outer grooves, the third to fourth year of ownership. Some tire companies are finding all sorts of ways to cheapen their product.

I agree the rear suspension is the least robust design part of the Elantra !!

Thank you for the input !

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
1) I downrated the tires to T rating because I do not drive over 118 mph and I picked up a higher mileage warranty rating for the tire.

2) I misspoke on the 4 wheel alignment, I should have said all 4 wheels were checked for alignment. My tire alignment was FREE (No Cost)
when I purchased the 4 tires.

3) Both the original and the Yokohama tires (previous set - got 40K when I took them off) always showed even tire wear across the tire tread pattern.
I rotate and balance them every 5K, part of my tire package when purchased.

Could your comment on Elantras eating up tires be based on 4 door sedan Elantra and not the Elantra GT ??

4) I stay away from Overpriced Michelins based on rubber compound breaking down on sidewalls (cracking due to dryrot that I read in a lot of Michielin owner tire reviews)
That is the reason I did not repurchase Yokohama tires (after 3 sets on 3 different cars) -- dryrot appearing in the bottom of the tire inner and outer grooves, the third to fourth year of ownership. Some tire companies are finding all sorts of ways to cheapen their product.

I agree the rear suspension is the least robust design part of the Elantra !!

Thank you for the input !
How much longitudinally grooved pavement you got out there?!?!?!

I have always had tracking problems on that stuff, no matter what the tire.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,826 Posts
Car was OE equipped with maybe "H" rated.. you downgraded your tires 1st..

2nd, if you paid for a 4 wheel align,, you got taken.. Elantra is 2 wheel align..

3rd, until somebody invent bender that will bend rear beam to straighten the align out back (you should see some of the animated chassis views I see),, in Hyundai eyes via numbers given,, as long as the wheels still attached to rear axle,,,,,, IT'S IN-SPEC

Seen a full set of Michelin Pilots in W rate roll across shop to be put on Elantra,, somebody got more money than sense,, Elantra destroys tires..
I have a sheet where one of my rear corners is "out of spec" by like .01 or something super small. It honestly sucks. I buy used tires because I know it eats them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I have experienced here in Michigan (Lower Peninsula ) it seems to exist on the major expressways going into the large cities !

From what information I can find on the internet, this grooving is to drain water off the roads and stop hydroplaning .

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
From what I have experienced here in Michigan (Lower Peninsula ) it seems to exist on the major expressways going into the large cities !

From what information I can find on the internet, this grooving is to drain water off the roads and stop hydroplaning .
You are spot on with the water drain off. We don't have the snow/ice issues routinely, but there are many roads here where the pavement is grooved to help with water puddles and hydroplaning.

I am running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the only time I feel "tracking" is on grooved pavement in curves. It still isn't bad enough to be a concern, but I can feel it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are spot on with the water drain off. We don't have the snow/ice issues routinely, but there are many roads here where the pavement is grooved to help with water puddles and hydroplaning.

I am running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the only time I feel "tracking" is on grooved pavement in curves. It still isn't bad enough to be a concern, but I can feel it.
DO you have a "symmetrical" or "asymmetrical" tread pattern on your tires ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's are symmetrical. However, I have asymmetric-tread Continental ExtremeContact DWS06's on (17" Kia wheels too so I've got minimal sidewall) my 2014 E-GT and I have never experienced anything like what you have on those General Altimax's. I've done 55-65 mph on I-440 in Nashville (which is 100% grooved on all lanes) numerous times and I only experience a slight wandering that is also sporadic, not constant, when traveling on it.

I have also used the same Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on our former 2013 Accent SE then on our elder son's 2012 Accent SE without any hazardous "wandering" either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting !

I assume you have driven in heavy rain on the grooved roads, not sure if you get much snow in TN .

I wondering if the groove road specifications is individually determined by each STATE or if there is a FEDERAL Government grooved road specification that is followed by each state.

Thank you for the feedback !

I am starting to think I need to file a tire report complaint with the Federal government to investigate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Interesting !

I assume you have driven in heavy rain on the grooved roads, not sure if you get much snow in TN .

I wondering if the groove road specifications is individually determined by each STATE or if there is a FEDERAL Government grooved road specification that is followed by each state.

Thank you for the feedback !

I am starting to think I need to file a tire report complaint with the Federal government to investigate.

I called MDOT (Michigan Department of Transportation) in Lansing to inquire about the longitudinal groove road specification and was
told that it is a Michigan specification that follows the Federal Government specification.
The representative said the specification was to address noise issues on the road experienced by the housing residents living near the road.

He also stated he thought all tire manufactures were to test there tires to that specification.

Anyway, I did call NHTSA and file a report and thought I would warn people on this forum to avoid this tire if they drive on roads that were grooved from a safety point of view.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
However, I have asymmetric-tread Continental ExtremeContact DWS06's on (17" Kia wheels too so I've got minimal sidewall) my 2014 E-GT and I have never experienced anything like what you have on those General Altimax's.
I don't believe I have ever seen a more asymmetrical tire than those Conti ExtremeContact DWS. And I had a set on a 2010 Touring. Excellent rain tire, and a good handling dry tire, too!

·
Registered
322 Posts
2013migt,

I've driven our 2014 E-GT to both Grand Rapids and the Allegan County Fair (outside K-zoo) on two separate trips. The first time was on the stock Hankooks (thru Indy on the way up and then west thru Chicago on the way home). The second time was on my DWS06's both times going up I-57 to Chicago then east to Michigan. Didn't have any scary moments other than when my GPS put me through a very "rough-looking" part of Indiana on some secondary roads. Stopped at Kurowski's Sausage shop on N. Milwaukee in Chicago both times and didn't get shot either.

Thanks for pursuing helping out your fellow drivers. Many would not go to such lengths to spread some useful information/experience to others. :)

ComicOzzie

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
ComicOzzie,

I am envious. Just looked at your list of cars and you have the EGT I wanted when I got mine. All we could get here were black or white, and automatic. I like the white, and the auto is not bad, especially in traffic, but still ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the r34’s and I notice the tracking problem on the freeway between Columbus and Indianapolis. It was bad with the OEM tyres as well. The suspension setup on our us spec egt’s is garbage.

Still liking the r34’s for the softer and quieter ride though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for posting this review. i live in Holland, MI and was thinking of getting RT43s for my Santa Fe... but what you wrote has given me pause. Do all the RT43 tires have this issue? i'm currently running BF Goodrich Advantage T/A sport LT... love them... but was thinking of giving the RT43s a try when i upgrade to the 18" wheels since they were a bit less than the Advantage T/A.

I purchased 4 new General Altimax RT43 205/55R16 T rated tires for my 13EGT in late October 2017 based on consumer reports rating of this model tire. Had 4 wheel alignment done at time of purchase of tires.

3 months prior had new oem frt. struts, new frt. stab. bar ends, and ball joints installed. Rear suspension was checked and was AOK.

I live in the country and had no "tracking" issues because all of the pavement is convention (NO Longitudinal multi-grooved pavement) .

1st Tracking issue developed while heading E on I-69 toward Flint, Mi. Wet snow falling, but road crews kept the snow scraped off of the road, temperature about 34 F., and pavement wet.

Everything was fine with the car until the pavement switched from
conventional to longitudinal multi-grooved pavement (parallel to the direction I was traveling ) on the 2 lane highway.
I had to slow the car down to 45 mph and hold the steering wheel with 2 white knuckled hands, while in the fast lane, cars passed me by going 65 - 70 mph. If I went any faster than 45 mph the rear end of the car would oscillate back and forth, and I would surely loose control and skid off the road into the ditch.

2nd Tracking issue developed driving S on I-131 to Grand Rapids, Michigan. Temperature was 36 F, road was dry, Speed limit is 70 mph. Again the 2 lane road is composed of conventional pavement and longitudinal multi-grooved pavement (parallel to the direction I was traveling ) that I would encounter with no prior warning.
If I tried to keep up with the 70 mph traffic on the longitudinal multi-grooved pavement the rear end of the car would oscillate back and forth as I held the steering wheel with both white knuckled hands and I was forced to slow down to around 60 mph for my safety.

I called General Tire and explained the problem to them even though it was past the 45 day free tire return deadline.
They confirmed the issue was "TRACKING" and was due to the "Symmetrical" tread pattern of this tire. They initially did not want to take the tires back but suggested I replaced them with another General Tire model that had the "Asymmetrical" tread pattern. Luckily they do not produce any General tire models with "Asymmetrical" pattern in my tire size, so they offered me a full refund, which I GLADLY accepted.

I replaced the 4 General Tires with 4 Cooper tires (Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring 205/55R16 T rated). These tires have an "Asymmetrical" tread pattern and a softer tire rubber compound than the General Altimax RT43 tires. These Cooper tires do not transfer all road bumps to the seats and steering wheel like the General Tires, and give a great ride to the car.

I returned with the car (with the Cooper Tires installed) and headed S on I-131 to Grand Rapids and when I hit the longitudinal multi-grooved pavement, NO ISSUES. I drove with one relaxed hand on the steering wheel and took the car up to 80-85 with no 'TRACKING" issues.

I just wanted to pass this information on to others and ask if anyone on the forum in the SNOWBELT STATES, has experienced this issue while driving on their particular States longitudinal multi-grooved pavement roads ??

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've ran the Altimax RT43's on both my Elantra Limited and Wife's GT (Which they are currently on). I've never had issues with tracking with the RT's. I would run next time with the "H" rated RT's. There IS a difference.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm running the RTs on my 2013 GT for about 3 years now and they have been great on all pavement, some snow, etc.

I also upgraded my shocks to the KYBs and had a professional alignment guy adjust the rear wheels with shims to track the car straight, so maybe that helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts