Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how low does tire pressure have to be for light to come on. Mine came on this morning with 32lbs. Also does the spare get monitored. I haven't had time to unload trunk and check for a valve.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
System is looking for preesure difference between tires,, std turn the light is something like 25% difference between tire hi and tire low.

As long as pressure is even in all 4, light should be of no concern

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine came on yesterday morning. thought maybe because it was cold out (28 degrees) but it was still on when I left work. I checked and all four tires were at 32 psi. I haven't put any air in them yet.

called the dealer and he wants it to come in and have the modules checked because as long as they are all the same pressure, it should not come on.

That and its kind of annoying that not only does the idiot light stay on, but the information screen says LOW TIRE PRESSURE all the time. If you hit the trip button to look at anything else, it will only stay on that for a few seconds and revert back to the LOW TIRE PRESSURE statement.

I GET IT!!! and that's what the light is for. After it tells me once, I should be able to clear the comm window anyway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
UPDATE - So after the service guy irritated me, I stopped on the way home after work and moved the tires from 32 psi to 34 psi and that cleared the light. All four tires were still the same as they were before.

Guess I don't know why the service guy didn't have me try that first before just telling me they had to throw parts at it. Probably would have charged me for parts and only put air in the tires if i had taken it down there. :w00t:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I expected the light to come on if the pressure got below a certain point but that does not seem to be the case. I checked my tires and they were all down to @ 28 psi. I pumped them back up to 33 psi. Then I started letting air out of one tire to see what would happen. I had to get down to @ 24PSI in one tire before light came on. This seems like too big a drop to me.

Next time I go to the dealer I plan to ask about it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I believe the wording is 25% of threshold... therefore, 24 PSI is approx 25% less than the other matching tires..

Do this for fun. Set them all to 25~26 PSI and go for drive and see if light comes on..

·
Registered
652 Posts
Don't know about the TPS since I traded my Sonata in, but I know you need to use the new cover sheet with it. :grin:

(Office Space movie reference)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is an answer from another Forum:

The spare is monitored by the TPS. I was coming home about a month ago at night in my Limited and the TPS light came on. I pulled over and all tires seemed normal. The next day I checked the manual and It said the spare is also on TPS. I checked the donut and the pressure was about 10 pounds low. I inflated to the recommended presssure, the light went off and has never returned

Now I will have to clean my trunk out and check the spare. I will report what I find. It may be related to model type, GLS,SE,or Limited. If anyone else has checked it would be nice to hear your findings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts