Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Santa Fe LTD 3.3L AWD with about 24,000 miles on it. At about 22,000 miles, it developed a cyclical slight loss of power when cruising between 30 and 60 MPH under light load. It would lose power and then pick it back up about once per second. Not horrible, but enough that you could notice and it was quite irritating. I also noticed that on cold (and sometimes warm) start, it would surge up and down about 500 rpm at idle several times before settling down. It also had a flat-spot off-idle whenever you would accelerate from a stop.

I took it to the dealer and they test drove it and checked for fault codes - nothing. They claimed they could not duplicate the problem during the test drive either. I was somewhat upset since the problem would come and go and I was concerned that without a fault code, it would be tough to get anything done about it. I took it home and continued to drive it, but the problem got worse. I finally decided to take it back to the dealer and ask them to keep it until they found something.

This time, there were still no fault codes, but the technician did notice the problem. They said he called a Hyundai "tech hotline" and talked to their engineers and they suggested replacing the throttle position sensor as well as updating the ECM software. They did both.

The TPS replacement and the ECM update solved the problems. In fact, it has never run this well at small throttle openings.

I thought I would share this in case anyone else experiences similar symptoms without any fault codes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for sharing for that with us.
This is one way forums like this become so useful. It forms a knowledge base for other users.

It is frustrating when a cause can't be determined right away. Sometimes fault codes don't get thrown because the piece, while not functioning as it should, works sporadically (on it's way out) but is still somewhat within specs or normalcy. As our cars become more electronic we then rely on other electronics to ensure things are working correctly etc. Sort of a catch 22.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (pauln @ Jun 3 2010, 10:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329461
I thought I would share this in case anyone else experiences similar symptoms without any fault codes.
Interesting story, and glad you shared it. The TPS is a known "weak link" on these models, but usually throws a series of 3 codes when it's on its way south. Thanks for the specific symptoms you provided.

·
Registered
1 Posts
(First Post) We also have a 2008 Santa Fe LTD 3.3L AWD with 34000km (Approx 21000miles) on it and experienced similar problems as pauln. Trying to hold a steady speed in the city became difficult. Santy would fell like it was bucking slightly when trying to hold any given speed. Thinking we had perhaps purchased bad gas for the last several tanks, we switched to another gas outlet - several weeks later, same problem. Two days ago we were driving home from work during rush hour traffic and the problem seemed suddenly intensified. It got to the point where I had no throttle response at all, the vehicle kept running roughly at an idle but the throttle would not respond to any gas pedal depression. After safely coasting and turning of off a busy street, I noticed the check engine light was on, as well as the AWD light indicator was flashing. At this point I turned the ignition off and let it sit for a few minutes while we pondered what to do next. Long story short, I started the vehicle again after sitting for several minutes and now only the check engine (MIL) indicator was lit. Got home safely with only minor symptoms. Took it in to the dealer yesterday and tech retrieved code 2135. Tech determined new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) was needed as per TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 09-36-003. Tech also perfomed upgrade on ECU (Electronic control unit) after TPS was replaced. All work covered under warranty.
So far, all is back to normal. I will re post if anything changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts