Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2008 santa fe for my wife. Got it from the dealer i asked about the tpms light that was on. He said it can be fixed. He took it to the tire shop and had all 4 sensor put in it. and then i guess gave up. So i know nothing about these systems and no idea how to trouble shoot. How do i pull the code that the light is giving. It is the tpms light and not the low presser light also.

thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just picked up a 2008 santa fe for my wife. Got it from the dealer i asked about the tpms light that was on. He said it can be fixed. He took it to the tire shop and had all 4 sensor put in it. and then i guess gave up. So i know nothing about these systems and no idea how to trouble shoot. How do i pull the code that the light is giving. It is the tpms light and not the low presser light also.

thanks
I'm not sure how to pull a code, or if there is even a code to pull. But your tpms light staying on indicates the the tpms sensors in the wheels are not communicating with the tpms computer. This could be because:

1. The sensors in the wheels are "asleep", or unactivated. You wake them up with a scan tool, or by letting out about 15 pounds of air from the tire and then refilling back up to spec.

2. The sensors are not working (malfunction, incorrect sensor, etc.)

3. MOST LIKELY SCENARIO: The new sensors ID #'s have not been programmed into the tpms computer via a tpms scan tool (it gets connected through the OBD2 port). A tire shop should be able to do this. You will need the sensor ID#'s, which the tire shop that installed the tpms sensors should be able to provide, or the proper scan tool should be able to read directly from the sensor inside the tire. If a tire shop doesn't understand what you are talking about when you mention these steps, find a new tire shop that does.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yellow "TPMS" (letters) illuminated on the dash ??

Yes, GDS is needed to access TPMS module to recover offending DTC(s).. proceed from there.. could anything..

Why did dealer take it to tire shop ?? Was this purchase made at a Hyundai dealer ?? Something not right about your statement in the first post.. warning light on is not a need to replace 4 sensors.. replacing sensors requires manual reading, then writing to TPMS module..

Take it to somebody that know how to service the system and repair it right the first time.. Hyundai dealer service dept comes to mind.. we have GDS and can recover the code, we can read what ID's is written to module, and compare to those recovered at wheels, and we can read/write ID's to module..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sbr711 the car dealer was a independent dealer. Unfortunately I do not have a reputable hyundia close by. That is also the reason the independent dealer didn't send it to hyundia for repair. Now will a local garage be able to pull those codes with a higher end scanner, or is the gds the only way to scan? Thank you for your response. It was very helpful.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Working in dealer, I have no idea what a "high end" scanner will do.. I have GDS for use in shop as required by Hyundai as SST for diagnostics and programming, and printing screen shots of data so we can document our work and get claim paid, and CYA if we get audit by Hyundai,, here is print showing we did work (time stamped with VIN on top of page).

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There are some scanners that are designed to do tire sensors on various manufacturers; some tire shops have them, call around.

My Ford F150 needed a $35 scanner and I was able to install a new sensor in one tire and program it in 5 minutes; scanner will even let me raise the PSI range of all the sensors.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
The old Chrysler approach was so much simpler. You installed new TPMS or moved the tires around during a rotation, then hit one of the user menu selections on the overhead console computer interface, and walked around and slid a dampening ferrite (basically, a little donut) over each stem that prevented each TPMS from transmitting in turn. That identified which TPMS transmitter was on which wheel to the computer. Done.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sbr711 the car dealer was a independent dealer. Unfortunately I do not have a reputable hyundia close by. That is also the reason the independent dealer didn't send it to hyundia for repair. Now will a local garage be able to pull those codes with a higher end scanner, or is the gds the only way to scan? Thank you for your response. It was very helpful.
Lol, I guess my response was chopped liver... :confused:

·
Registered
268 Posts
not chop liver but I don't have the programer
I understand, but I never said you needed to have it. I indicated that you needed to use a tire shop that has it and knows how to use it, which is your only option if you don't have the scanner yourself. (I didn't suggest using a Hyundai dealer because they would be likely to charge you at least twice as much as a tire shop.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The old Chrysler approach was so much simpler. You installed new TPMS or moved the tires around during a rotation, then hit one of the user menu selections on the overhead console computer interface, and walked around and slid a dampening ferrite (basically, a little donut) over each stem that prevented each TPMS from transmitting in turn. That identified which TPMS transmitter was on which wheel to the computer. Done.
The new Chrysler way is even simpler. I have three sets of rims all with TPMS. I don't have to do anything when I change the rims out and each sensor registers its own pressure on the screen.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Mine registers pressure for each tire (except the spare, which just gets the idiot light), too. Nice to hear they've even found a way to do away with the 'owner training' ability. I believe the previous version (still miles ahead of most of them) was necessitated by the aggregation of all TPMS data prior to sending it to the 'main computer' without any indication as to which corner was associated with which TPMS. Why can't they all do it the easy way? Patents?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts